Papers stamped tonight, Jacobs, Douglas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Shouldn't be a controversial or "negative" opinion in the slightest.

Both have given the club great service over long careers. But as with all players when they pass the age of 30, their bodies decline, and their abilities go with it.

Retiring now is the right call for them as players and for the club. Maybe the club needs to nudge them in that direction

Brilliant post. It's a major positive we have a very good developing ruckman and have figured it out before throwing away pick one on Grundy. But I don't expect some people to get that.

Agreed - happy to stick with ROB and not chase Grundy, good as he is. That said, if Grundy did want to come, surely as a free agent is the only way we'd do it? Trading for him would be hard to stomach

With 43 fit players on the list (assuming Lynch is good to go vs. Tigers), then you must perform or out you go. No passengers from here on in. Douglas didn't do enough to stay in, IMO. Greenwood also wasn't great, albeit in an unfamiliar role, but his clutch mark/goal should keep him in the team.

Agreed - happy to stick with ROB and not chase Grundy, good as he is. That said, if Grundy did want to come, surely as a free agent is the only way we'd do it? Trading for him would be hard to stomach

Grundy local boy, will be better player here. You always choose local boys, when little else seperate players. Clarke* probably the best ruck coach grundy will have. Grundy far from his peak, if he comes home. He does want to come home.

Rob increasing trade value for us.

* cue for the Clarke haters to quote then rant

A player being done is NEVER a positive.
???

McDermott, McGuinness, Jarman.

Time stops for no man.

It's the natural cycle and a 'negative' only occurs when people try to pretend it doesn't exist. Like with Douglas now and Thompson previously.

???

McDermott, McGuinness, Jarman.

Time stops for no man.

It's the natural cycle and a 'negative' only occurs when people try to pretend it doesn't exist. Like with Douglas now and Thompson previously.
Those 3 were extremely divisive figures in our footy club, not sure Sauce is that.

Still it was sad to see Jars not play in a flag with Darren.

We should absolutely be positive about ROB, but it's never nice to see a loyal warrior end his career.

A player being done is NEVER a positive.
When is the last senior player who finished their career at the right time? Rutten would be the last. There in is the problem.

We as supporters can see they are done, but the club can’t make the tough call. We then vent at the player when it’s really more frustration at the club than the player, for all the players have been very good servants for the club.

VB, Thommo and Douglas should have gone a year earlier. You can understand Jacobs playing on given ROB wasn’t tested but to then go with Jacobs early instead of ROB puts him in the same place.

I can’t remember the same stuff being posted about Rutten, who if I remember correctly called time himself.

Wouldn't hate the idea of keeping Jacobs on the rookie list if we can't get a small amount for him via trade, even in this state of his career he wouId be very handy ruck depth.

Really we would be in big trouble if we had to rely on Hunter or Strachan for over 4 or so games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When is the last senior player who finished their career at the right time? Rutten would be the last. There in is the problem.

We as supporters can see they are done, but the club can’t make the tough call. We then vent at the player when it’s really more frustration at the club than the player, for all the players have been very good servants for the club.

VB, Thommo and Douglas should have gone a year earlier. You can understand Jacobs playing on given ROB wasn’t tested but to then go with Jacobs early instead of ROB puts him in the same place.

I can’t remember the same stuff being posted about Rutten, who if I remember correctly called time himself.
Again, you're missing the point. It's almost as if people are rejoicing the fact he's done.

That's incredibly disrespectful

Given we got no other ruck besides Rob and Jacobs...I think they will prob give Jacobs another year as a backup...

And it's a bit harsh on dougy.. he shouldn't have been picked last night... first game back.

Again, you're missing the point. It's almost as if people are rejoicing the fact he's done.

That's incredibly disrespectful
And so are you. I’ve explained it.

We aren’t rejoicing the end of a career, we are “rejoicing” that the end of the poor form shown at the end of their careers is over. Something that shouldn’t be experienced if they went at the right time.

We would all prefer to see them go out at the right time. Then we can truly rejoice in their careers and service to our club.

Given we got no other ruck besides Rob and Jacobs...I think they will prob give Jacobs another year as a backup...

And it's a bit harsh on dougy.. he shouldn't have been picked last night... first game back.

He should not have played on. He should not have been given JLT games. We’ve got about 6 players who could be developed in that forward role.

He should not have played on. He should not have been given JLT games. We’ve got about 6 players who could be developed in that forward role.
Yeah but this is afc... when have they ever dropped a 200 gamer that should have been dropped? ( Don't include Gibbs cause he doesn't deserve to dropped hahha) You're expecting to much.

I'm embarrassed for you. Jacobs being done is a positive not a negative as ROB is great. Besides that, improvement is always possible and it isn't found in a 32 year old fumbly cooked flanker.
Yeh real positive until Rob injures himself and weve got Jenkins as our main Ruck. Happy Days.

I don't think there really ever is a right time to retire. If a player ends his career when he's still playing decent footy, there will always be that feeling they might have gone too early. As weird as it sounds, I would rather know for sure that a player is completely cooked before they retire.

The problem I have re. Douglas isn't that he's gone a year too long, it's that he was in poor form prior to his injury (worse form than Gibbs btw) and found himself back into the team after one good game in the reserves. This kind of selection policy wreaks. Gibbs would provided us more, even though he's not at his best and Jones and McHenry need development.

I don't think there really ever is a right time to retire. If a player ends his career when he's still playing decent footy, there will always be that feeling they might have gone too early. As weird as it sounds, I would rather know for sure that a player is completely cooked before they retire.

The problem I have re. Douglas isn't that he's gone a year too long, it's that he was in poor form prior to his injury (worse form than Gibbs btw) and found himself back into the team after one good game in the reserves. This kind of selection policy wreaks. Gibbs would provided us more, even though he's not at his best and Jones and McHenry need development.
Thommo was cooked the year before he went on. So was VB, Douglas towards the second half of 18, Jacobs was last year too. They were all in decline and still played on. None of them were playing decent footy.

Thommo was cooked the year before he went on. So was VB, Douglas towards the second half of 18, Jacobs was last year too. They were all in decline and still played on. None of them were playing decent footy.
I agree about Thompson. He stayed about 2 seasons too long imo. VB was captain and had that achilles injury. I think he earned a right to try and come back. Jacobs has been down for a while but the club didn't rate ROB as a replacement until this season. Douglas 2018 form was mediocre too but the club is still under the delusion they're in a premiership window so they're over-valuing experience, otherwise I think he would have been moved on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back