List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange that he's not a more regular fixture in the Saints midfield. It's not like it's star-studded.
They also have a s**t coach so who knows.
But I think Monocle has touched on it before, he's rarely been consistently fit. From memory he seems to get a game or two in the midfield and then has gotten injured and comes back into the team playing as a high half forward.

They also have a **** coach so who knows.
But I think Monocle has touched on it before, he's rarely been consistently fit. From memory he seems to get a game or two in the midfield and then has gotten injured and comes back into the team playing as a high half forward.
He's also not that quick.

I'd take Acres for our late 2nd rounder i think. Maybe an exchange of 4th rounders (neither club have a 3rd rounder yet) as well.

Even though he's statistically having his worst season in 4 years, it could be a good time to buy. He's only 24 in October.

You'd want him to push and be part of our B22 though, otherwise what's the point in adding a depth midfielder who could potentially fail like Ah Chee.
Acres plays some bloody good game when he gets a go in the midfield. Kills it in the vfl playing in the guts . Saints problem is they dont have much up forward and a glut of contested mids who are very one dimensional .

Problem we would have would be shuey yeo sheed redden kelly gaff ( s**t hot midfield that ) all in front of him for midfield minutes .

Acres 24 in october would have at least 6 seasons for us which would be perfect for our midfield succession as shuey and redden turn 30 next year . Hutch 29

2022 midfield at the start of the season

Yeo 27 sheed 25 gaff 28 kelly 26 acres 25

My preferred trades would be

Our 1st + 2020 first for Kelly + 2020 2nd

Geelongs 2020 2nd for acres

Package our 2nd + sydneys 2nd to get up the draft order to target jeremy sharpe or Deven Robertson

He's not the quickest but I wouldn't say he's slow. I just think he's worth considering if we can get him cheaply enough, it's not like we've got a bunch of young midfielders banging down the door to get into the team at the moment.
He's one-paced.

They threw Jamie Cripps and Mark Hutchings away and they went on to be regular fixtures in a premiership year. I wouldn't be taking what the Saints get out of a player as representative of their value to us.
Cripps played the go home card and was never going to freo as ross the toss was now their coach . We had saints over a barrel .

They threw Jamie Cripps and Mark Hutchings away and they went on to be regular fixtures in a premiership year. I wouldn't be taking what the Saints get out of a player as representative of their value to us.
I don't think Cripps was unwanted. Either way, the fact Acres isn't a regular midfielder at an average side is not irrelevant.

I don't think Cripps was unwanted. Either way, the fact Acres isn't a regular midfielder at an average side is not irrelevant.
It's not irrelevant, but if our recruiters looked at him and said he would fit into our team you have to weigh your faith in them against what you've seen of him at the Saints. For me, I have enough faith in the recruiters targeting players from other clubs that if that's what they wanted I'd be pretty happy to get a deal done.

I see both your points.

But this whole, "Acres will free up Shuey or Redden to play HFF" isn't something that turns me on.

We've just sorted out our midfield balance by playing the correct number of forwards. It sounds to me you're both advocating that we "squeeze" Acres into the lineup by either playing him off the HFF, or have another one of our mids play off the HFF instead. Amounts to the same thing.

You're justifying squeezing another midfielder into the team. Who says any of these campaigners can even play HFF? Goal kicking mid Shuey is the most likely, but that's a stretch. We've proven before that carrying too many midfielders is bad for our scoring and rectified that last year with Rioli, Ryan and Cripps. We've also rectified it recently pissing off Marsden.

As far as displacing another fringe player, who? Waterman? Allen? Petch? All forwards, all young, all should be playing.

It's like you're having Acres replace Marsden, either throwing our midfield balance out, or living in the WAFL.

I'm aware the pick we'll cough up will be in the 30's, i don't hate the idea, given i suggested it in the first place, but i'm not completely sold on it either :shrug:

Understand your points.

In the past we have tried to fix our midfield depth/quality gameday by playing an extra mid forward, that was around 2016 and 2017 with the likes of Partington, Redden, Sheed, Masten and even Yeo at times. Agreed it didnt work, those guys didnt have the goal kicking / forward craft needed nor were they (bar Yeo/Sheed) exceptional mids. Yeo is pretty good kicking a long midfield goal on the run though but we need him in the guts and age wise he's perfect.

Shuey is a class (or two) above those guys and is an excellent high half forward candidate as he enters his 30's. Think Cousins in his later years as a hff. They still add to the midfield rotations but a mid who is damaging by foot both passing inside 50 and kicking on goal.

Masten is turning 31, Shuey 30 and Redden is 30 next season.

Eagles players have history of shortened careers and thats before we started playing on this rock hard Optus statium surface.

When we list whats coming through its not exactly proven nor deep. M Allen, Brayshaw, O'Niel, Foley (outside) then ..?? Smith and Ah chee!

Another reason we will likely pay overs for Kelly.

Geez Robertson would be good, that Swans 2nd might be enough though he's looking like a mid/ late 1st rounder ATM.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not irrelevant, but if our recruiters looked at him and said he would fit into our team you have to weigh your faith in them against what you've seen of him at the Saints. For me, I have enough faith in the recruiters targeting players from other clubs that if that's what they wanted I'd be pretty happy to get a deal done.
If the price is right, sure. However I have my doubts about his bonafides as an inside midfielder, which is what we'd want him to do.

Acres plays some bloody good game when he gets a go in the midfield. Kills it in the vfl playing in the guts . Saints problem is they dont have much up forward and a glut of contested mids who are very one dimensional .

Problem we would have would be shuey yeo sheed redden kelly gaff ( **** hot midfield that ) all in front of him for midfield minutes .

Acres 24 in october would have at least 6 seasons for us which would be perfect for our midfield succession as shuey and redden turn 30 next year . Hutch 29

2022 midfield at the start of the season

Yeo 27 sheed 25 gaff 28 kelly 26 acres 25

My preferred trades would be

Our 1st + 2020 first for Kelly + 2020 2nd

Geelongs 2020 2nd for acres

Package our 2nd + sydneys 2nd to get up the draft order to target jeremy sharpe or Deven Robertson

If we landed Kelly, Acres and Robertson.this trade /draft period Monocle would be beside himself and be smiling like a Cheshire cat.

I would be joining him.

That would bolster the midfield for years to come.

If we landed Kelly, Acres and Robertson.this trade /draft period Monocle would be beside himself and be smiling like a Cheshire cat.

I would be joining him.

That would bolster the midfield for years to come.
Think we need to get this plan in action.
So what we'll probably do is draft another couple of key position players and some more flankers.

Think we need to get this plan in action.
So what we'll probably do is draft another couple of key position players and some more flankers.
Look, I agree with the sentiments of bolstering our midfield, but I’d like to draw your attention to the last time that we picked another key position player who seemed superfluous to our needs was when we picked that strapping young gentleman in your avatar. I find it tricky to be too critical of that choice.

And the time before that was earlier in the same draft when we picked the bloke in my avatar who will become our greatest key position player in history by the time his career is done.

Note, sponsors duties may or may not cause embellishment of facts.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-10/kelly-wont-decide-his-future-until-seasons-end

"As for my future, it's all up in the air at the moment and I'll get to that at the end of the year.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

EAD cat floggos.

So with Liam Henry is doing the right thing and pushing up his trade valuation. He slotted in 3 goals against Vic Metro and this will all go towards increasing his draft range. He missed a few games earlier this year with a hip injury but has some back looking the goods. He has some very special skills and more of that in the carnival means he will go up the boards in draft range, even approaching the first round prospect.

As it stands, Freo are looking at holding picks 10, 28, 82 and some late picks. They would probably want to have something else meaning they could well be in the market for selling pick 10 and we could offer them picks 22 and 33 (as they stand) which si about the same in points with a side agreement not to bid on Henry.

That would leave us with 10, 15, 61 and some late picks. Could we get Kelly with picks 10 alone? If not, we could sweeten it with a future second or a player like Nelson or Venables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back