Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, so your under the assumption that the Crows will run the Aquatic Centre and thats where the confusion comes from here.

The chances of the Crows running the Aquatic Centre are about 1%.

Think of this concept as a joint venutre.

Part 1: Community aquatic space that would likely be owned, operated etc by CoA. (Community use only)
Part 2: Community aquatic space that would likely be owned, operated etc by CoA. (Shared space that AFC use at selected times and is community access at selected timed)
Part 3: Elite Training Facility (AFC use only)

The above is exactly how Cockburn ARC is currently operated and has proven to be a very fruitful model for both the community and the football club.

The whole idea of us getting this land is because the aquatic center costs the council too much money and they want it off their books. If they still have to pay to run it, then they won't give it to us.

The whole idea of us getting this land is because the aquatic center costs the council too much money and they want it off their books. If they still have to pay to run it, then they won't give it to us.
It really depends what comes out of it. If they get a state of the art facility (which it will be) without having to pay for it and 100% shares of costs and upkeep (they won't). Then there is a huge benefit in doing it.

The keep an aquatic centre in their council area and make money on it. The big issue for them at the moment is the maintenance costs and now the cost of upgrade.

They know there is benefit. That's why they are already keen.

It really depends what comes out of it. If they get a state of the art facility (which it will be) without having to pay for it and 100% shares of costs and upkeep (they won't). Then there is a huge benefit in doing it.

The keep an aquatic centre in their council area and make money on it. The big issue for them at the moment is the maintenance costs and now the cost of upgrade.

They know there is benefit. That's why they are already keen.
The council will probably put the centre aspect of it up for tender to be managed by a 3rd party.

Is that opportunity not already there though? It doesn't seem to be much of a gold mine for the ACC.
is the loss of money also linked maintenance costs which are directly attributable to the age/state of the facility?
Also when I was a kid it was the place to go, now I feel like it has no drawing power and a new facility does right could achieve that.

While i agree.

The interesting part will be the Crows requirement for Indoor training space (i.e. basketball courts) and how this affects things.
Ultimately your probably looking at a facility that has a community 50m pool, 25m pool, kids play space, watersides, spas, saunas, retail store, cafe and gymnasium as a minimum.
Some of which using the Cockburn / FFC template would be shared facilities.

The there would the the Crows facilities that would have no community access incorporating: Administration, theater room, gymnasium, physio/treatment and hydrotherapy again as a minimum.

Then factor in the potential for basketball courts which i would imagine the Crows would push given their need for indoor training space at various times of the year.
On top of that given recent builds that have occurred of similar nature and size it would need 400+ car spaces, the current site holds less then 300.

To get this done without losing parklands it is going to need to go up or down.

The 15 mill the Crows have already acquired is a great start, i would think there is another 100 mill going to be required to get it done.

Hypothetical:
the extra money required for a ground up facility will come as part of the soon to be successful Commonwealth Games bid, which will include the extension of the tram line down O'Connell street.

The new facility can then be used for games events with visiting patrons traveling by tram from the CBD and making the short walk across the parklands (past the ovals) as an entry point to the new facility.

After the Com Games the jointly run AAC will revert back to a private/public facility servicing the public of the CBD and inner Northern suburbs, taking pressure off the Marion AC and (of course) the AFC.

We've already got a baseball team and an e-sports division!

An Aquatic Centre is right up our alley

I'm still waiting for us to get into the take-out market, where we sell only South Australian fast food via a series of appropriately-themed corner shops

We've already got a baseball team and an e-sports division!

An Aquatic Centre is right up our alley
IMO they should build a large theatre space to host esports events amongst other things. No place in Aus has got a stranglehold of large scale esports events...so why not Adelaide. Draw some big championship events.
I do a bit of i-racing in my spare time...the following of esports is getting massive.

C7 newsflash reports AFC proposed new facilities at parklands could be ready by 2022.

The ACC is voting on Tuesday whether to allow it to go forward or not, then they'll give AFC a set of "guidelines" that their submission must contain before it will be approved. That's mostly related to how it impacts the parklands environmentally, economically and how much the public have access to the new facilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ACC is voting on Tuesday whether to allow it to go forward or not, then they'll give AFC a set of "guidelines" that their submission must contain before it will be approved. That's mostly related to how it impacts the parklands environmentally, economically and how much the public have access to the new facilities.

Would be an ecological catastrophe if it interfered with the natural parkland dog poop-weeds nutrient cycle

Adelaide Council had a media statement about the development proposal today.

https://www.cityofadelaide.com.au/media-centre/whats-new/adelaide-football-club-park-2-proposal

“While there is a raft of public speculation around the proposal, there has been little detail to share and I look forward to consulting widely with the community as more information comes to hand,” said City of Adelaide Chief Executive Officer Mark Goldstone.

“As our community’s needs remain paramount, Council would want to see public access to community facilities and current tenants and users to be involved in the process if a concept is presented.

“Beyond seeing a concept that benefits the community and maintains public access, I know that our Members are adamant that all stakeholders would be regularly consulted if this proposal is to move forward.

“If any concept doesn’t line up with Council’s draft guiding principles, Members would have every right not to support the AFC progressing its plans, as the benefits to our community must come first.

“I reiterate that no formal proposal, designs or plans for a facility have been received at this early stage.”

The push back seems to be mainly about a professional sports team getting government funding.

Personally i think this is great for the ACC, the parklands and the Crows.

That being said, The club needs to get it right.

Didn't hear them complaining when Jay was throwing money at them...

maxresdefault.jpg

That is excruciating. Can someone who watched please summarise.

The bit that concerned me was “no permanent license facility” so does that rule out licensed club rooms?

And how anyone can put their hand up to be on a council, what a load of wank

Back