Past Ben Ronke - delisted 2022

OeqIVxNL.png

Ben Ronke

Player Profile

Ben Ronke is an exciting Sydney Swans small forward who announced himself to the AFL world when he booted seven goals against Hawthorn in Round 8, 2018 in just his third senior match. The youngster’s MCG blitz saw him become the youngest Swan since 1982 to kick seven goals in a game – and he won an AFL Rising Star nomination in the process. Ronke slotted 24 goals in 2018 but just nine last year, so the Calder Cannons product is determined to recapture dangerous form in 2020.

Ben Ronke

DOB: 18 December 1997
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: St Bernard's (Vic)/Calder U18

Last edited:
I really think the small forward role is bloody hard. Few make it. The wondrous Eddie Betts just played his 300th. Expect he copped gobfuls for his performance in 200 of them. Being a small forward in a poor team is very hard.

I really think the small forward role is bloody hard. Few make it. The wondrous Eddie Betts just played his 300th. Expect he copped gobfuls for his performance in 200 of them. Being a small forward in a poor team is very hard.

especially hard when you aren't in the forward 50

Oct 1, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Went in to bat for him the other week to my hawks mate. I think he's still sour from those 7 goals, but dont let me down ronke

Doesnt need to kick bags, just apply 5 or so tackles a game, chase and harass

Weasely

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2015
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Orica Greenedge
What do we do with this guy?

He's playing like a spud, but spud's don't do what he did last year (except for
If it was just poor form (2nd year blues maybe) I could understand, but minimal tackling and forward pressure suggests his heart's not in it at the moment.

Contracted for next year, but may not be here for it. Unfortunately his trade value will be taking a hit also.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
He will end up delisted most likely but not everyone makes it

Hope he can get going as he has pace and goal smarts

If it was just poor form (2nd year blues maybe) I could understand, but minimal tackling and forward pressure suggests his heart's not in it at the moment.

Contracted for next year, but may not be here for it. Unfortunately his trade value will be taking a hit also.

At the end of next year, closed the book already?

At the end of next year, closed the book already?

nah i just got up this morning had some muesli, was berry infused or something, had a coffee, went to the shop then thought how could i piss people off, came here wrote that and left

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

It does happen. Adrian McAdam kicked 7 on debut and followed that up with 10 and 6 over the following two weeks. Kicked 68 goals in that 1993 season. Went on to only play 36 games across a couple of clubs.

Let’s hope Ronke can turn it around.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
It does happen. Adrian McAdam kicked 7 on debut and followed that up with 10 and 6 over the following two weeks. Kicked 68 goals in that 1993 season. Went on to only play 36 games across a couple of clubs.

Let’s hope Ronke can turn it around.
Yeah unfortunately there's a lot of examples.. Jurica and Polo from the tigers also come to mind.

I'm not too concerned about Ronke tbh. Yes he's way off it and I don't think he should be playing senior footy any time soon, but more importantly for him I think the majority of the year in the NEAFL is what he needs. I said it a few months ago that he really needs to just go back to square one. Needs to think of himself as just another first or second year player plying their trade in the reserves, not a former best 22 member who kicked bags of 7 and 5. That is so far in the rearview mirror now that trying to replicate whatever he was doing then just won't work for him now.

We should start to think of him as trade bait.
Not much bait. He's a small forward (least valuable position in the league) and playing in the reserves, poorly

Not much bait. He's a small forward (least valuable position in the league) and playing in the reserves, poorly

He is a farthing on current form. I reallly dont get it. He was worthy in the games when he was not kicking bags. What has happened?

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I wish I could play poorly and kick 3 goals. Do tell me what the small forward role is again though please?

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Did you watch the game?
Yep. He kicked 3 goals and I couldn’t care how many possessions he got. Just a number. He’s not worthy of 1’s right now, I know that, but he performed his role. People get carried away with this ‘must kick 5 or must kick 7’ or ‘must have 5 tackles’ bullshit. If you do your job, you’ve done you’re job!

Yep. He kicked 3 goals and I couldn’t care how many possessions he got. Just a number. He’s not worthy of 1’s right now, I know that, but he performed his role. People get carried away with this ‘must kick 5 or must kick 7’ or ‘must have 5 tackles’ ********. If you do your job, you’ve done you’re job!

Thought he looked better playing the mids in Q3, but agree he is not close to selection in the 1s.

BloodRet

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
Laughing at all the minnows
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Norwich City, Detroit Pistons
The guy is low on confidence. What we saw against Hawthorn should eliminate any desire to even consider trading him, he has a lot of talent when his heart is in it. Not playing with as much fire in the belly after he played a few games, hope he can get back to that early form. He could turn out like me in my playing days for my junior club. 6 goals on debut, 5 goals in my last game in the GF, * all in between. It happens.

Back