Review Geelong d Richmond by 67 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Not keen on trying Bews as an alternative. You would be swapping out around 230metres of attacking footy on average per game, based on last year. And what for? A back pocket we don't need for a hb/winger we do.

Metres gained is a very important metric, dismiss it at your own peril. It identifies driving the ball forward, rather than side chipping. Ultimately, AFL is a game of contested force 'em back. If you don't have players gaining metres it means you are going sideways and backwards.

Understand what you're saying, but I reckon the average supporter has been smart enough since the game was born to figure that out.

Can a side win without 'gaining more metres' than the other? I doubt it. So kind of a useless analysis for a winning team in my eyes.

To me it's just a stupid American expression that the commentators have utilised to try and flesh out their shallow commentary.

But each to his own.

Understand what you're saying, but I reckon the average supporter has been smart enough since the game was born to figure that out.

Can a side win without 'gaining more metres' than the other? I doubt it. So kind of a useless analysis for a winning team in my eyes.

To me it's just a stupid American expression that the commentators have utilised to try and flesh out their shallow commentary.

But each to his own.
Yeah it's a useful stat in Rugby league and probably gridiron.
But not really in our game at all. Especially since most teams start their drive off half back. Meters gained can actually be a bad thing.
Maybe if they could measure quality meters or something like that.

Yeah it's a useful stat in Rugby league and probably gridiron.
But not really in our game at all. Especially since most teams start their drive off half back. Meters gained can actually be a bad thing.
Maybe if they could measure quality meters or something like that.

Maybe..... I just don't see the need for it at all. On the totem pole of stats I'd have it near dead last.

It's an exercise in over-analysis.

How are those numbers actually crunched? Who decides what draft number gets allotted?
Not sure if I'm understanding your question properly, so apologies if not:

The finishing position on the ladder with changes for pick trades, compo picks, father/son & academybidding etc and when the player gets picked determine the draft number.

As the 57th player picked, it puts Miers in the 3rd round of the draft (18 picks x 3 rounds = 54 draft picks plus some compensation picks and academy bidding pushing the numbers up artificially). Maybe early 4th round.

Essentially, 18 clubs thought there were 56 better players in the draft than Miers, until Geelong picked him with pick 57.

It's surprising that nobody picked him before pick 57 that despite his TAC cup performance, as noted. I imagine it might have been due to his size or something? Maybe it's the dreads? Maybe a perceived attitude? (He does seem mighty relaxed).

Or maybe clubs knew he'd only play for Geelong?

Last edited:

The finishing position on the ladder with changes for pick trades, compo picks, father/son & academybidding etc and when the player gets picked determine the draft number.

As the 57th player picked, it puts Miers in the 3rd round of the draft (18 picks x 3 rounds = 54 draft picks plus some compensation picks and academy bidding pushing the numbers up artificially). Maybe early 4th round.

It's surprising that nobody picked him before pick 57 that despite his TAC cup performance, as noted.

Cheers mate! My head's a little foggy this morning:shoutyoldman:

Lol at everyone in here having a wank fest at beating a time missing almost half its regular starting line up.

We have 8 players with less than 10 games playing.

Injuries we just have to suck it up and accept it but if we beat Geelong missing
Danger, ablett, Hawkins, selwood, Duncan, kelly.. I would not be reading much into it.

The players we have out are automatic inclusions in our best line up.. 8 players..

Not saying we would have won with them in as Geelong is clearly having a great season, But it is most certainly not the team that beat you the last few times..

Bag me all you want but those are the facts and is why majority of media articles reference Geelong beating an undermanned Richmond.
I do acknowledge you have improved since round 7 2007.
Your lot were only witches hats for two quarters this time.

Lol at everyone in here having a wank fest at beating a time missing almost half its regular starting line up.

We have 8 players with less than 10 games playing.

Injuries we just have to suck it up and accept it but if we beat Geelong missing
Danger, ablett, Hawkins, selwood, Duncan, kelly.. I would not be reading much into it.

The players we have out are automatic inclusions in our best line up.. 8 players..

Not saying we would have won with them in as Geelong is clearly having a great season, But it is most certainly not the team that beat you the last few times..

Bag me all you want but those are the facts and is why majority of media articles reference Geelong beating an undermanned Richmond.
“Bag me all you want”....
Well, since you asked...

FAB09EF2-7AC6-4E07-B6A2-193FE81A13BA.jpeg

94823BF8-E7F0-4D66-A73C-B82B61B95A67.jpeg

Who'd have thought a team of role players who's game plan is "move it forward at all costs" would have such a low DE
52afb66e72249fbab96d689cad276e24.jpg
But, but injuries mate. Those injured players made them kick badly. Oh and the umpires too.

Yes our youth is hopeless... Is that why our VFL team sits on top of the ladder?

Even if your coach acknowledged we have injuries which had an effect on our ability and that they spoke of it during the week aswell...

But no... You fools keep on getting moist over beating up a team on one leg.

And dumb flogs like you 👍

If you want a laugh, browse through the autopsy thread on the Tiggers board. They're complaining about everything over there - injuries, umpiring, crowd behaviour, the works. Hell, even Scott's post match press conference from last year when he said they were beatable is getting a run.

Probably the funniest thing is how they're comparing players on their injury list to their Geelong counterparts and several of them are claiming Lambert is the equivalent of Selwood. I'm assuming they're referring to Scott, as he's nowhere near the level of Joel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Miers was taken 40 spots after Higgins in the 2017 draft. I may be biased, but I know which one I prefer.

Wells does it again. :thumbsu:

Walsh will win the rising star but I would be interested in Champion Data's adjusted stats for position.

Walsh v. average AFL midfielder

Miers v. average AFL small forward

I feel Miers would be ahead on that basis

If you want a laugh, browse through the autopsy thread on the Tiggers board. They're complaining about everything over there - injuries, umpiring, crowd behaviour, the works. Hell, even Scott's post match press conference from last year when he said they were beatable is getting a run.

Probably the funniest thing is how they're comparing players on their injury list to their Geelong counterparts and several of them are claiming Lambert is the equivalent of Selwood. I'm assuming they're referring to Scott, as he's nowhere near the level of Joel.

Biggest karma bus of all time has cleaned them up.

They were mocking pies injuries last year, Pies smashed them in the prelim, then they get their own injuries this year. Two seasons wasted.

Well done Catters and well done catter’s supporters. Have to say though missing a bit of Biggy-downer and nakkers-Cockar-told you so. Where is that at these moments of sheer jubilation.

Fut Richmond....boy have they been asking for this for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I told you so.

Yes our youth is hopeless... Is that why our VFL team sits on top of the ladder?

Even if your coach acknowledged we have injuries which had an effect on our ability and that they spoke of it during the week aswell...

Injuries weren't being used 3 weeks ago when you were winning games. You were back to talking about premierships you psychotic w***ers

Essentially, 18 clubs thought there were 56 better players in the draft than Miers, until Geelong picked him with pick 57.

It's surprising that nobody picked him before pick 57 that despite his TAC cup performance, as noted. I imagine it might have been due to his size or something? Maybe it's the dreads? Maybe a perceived attitude? (He does seem mighty relaxed).

Or maybe clubs knew he'd only play for Geelong?
There was intermittent interest from several clubs and ultimately the family were overjoyed it was GFC. We’ll leave it at that.

agree with the rest of your post; the Hawkins-to-Miers seeming set-play from the F50 ruck contest was slick, and I too thought Townsend was a knobend for taking two cracks against the youngest kid on the field.

one thing I'll say for Carey is, he appreciates Tom Hawkins like maybe only Geelong fans do; acknowledges all his attributes and holds him in high esteem - I noticed Richo was getting on the bandwagon last night too.
Carey has been a flog of the highest order but he has a good footy brain and is not biased.

If they were any good they wouldn’t be in the VFL

Keep crying

Actually Geelong is 1st on the ladder we’re currently sitting 3 games clear.
Your VFL team (that’s the excuse this week yea?) is ranked 7th last time I checked.

If we want to start caring about the VFL (née VFA), then Richmond being 1st down there is as relevant as Geelongs 7 flags in the 1800s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back