People getting offended about people getting offended can melt here

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends of what line of work I'm in. If my line of work involved me in the middle of a stadium and required me to make decisions that upset 50% of the people in it every time. Yeah I would assume that was going to happen, and if I liked the job and got paid enough I'd put up with it.
Maybe we should not clap or cheer our team if we win, cause it could be upsetting to the team that lost. You could see how that would be upsetting to the other team and fans yeah? It's really quite insensitive we do that.
This guy was right in his face. Not somewhere up in the stands lost in a sea of faces.
I'm happy for jerk-offs to get evicted when they cross the line.

Meh noone seems to upset by it. They were more upset by Gary Ablett liking a tweet cause that's much worse.
I think you underestimated the response. The average person from the general public might not have paid attention but many did. The papers were full of feedback from concerned people. It really is a dangerous step, and if the libs had nothing to do with it i’d be shocked. One step towards a communist state.

This guy was right in his face. Not somewhere up in the stands lost in a sea of faces.
I'm happy for jerk-offs to get evicted when they cross the line.

I thought a warning to watch what he was doing would have been a much better response. Kicking him out was massively heavy handed. The yellow maggots need a spray sometimes lol.

I thought a warning to watch what he was doing would have been a much better response. Kicking him out was massively heavy handed. The yellow maggots need a spray sometimes lol.
Yeah, maybe.
But two things:
I don't really feel sorry for aggressive tools (especially Blues supporters)
It might make other tools think twice before they fly off the handle (yes, feint hope I know!)

The right holds political power but the left has power over culture and the media. It's a divide you see across a lot of the Western world.

Amazing that people continue to trot this out. 65% of Australia's media is owned by News Corp., which is decidedly right wing and campaigns heavily for against the Left. Much the the same holds in the UK. Fox news is the most watched network in the US.

Reality doesn't confer with your opinion.

So you agree with Morrison's attack on the media for blowing the whistle on gov cover-ups?

I rarely ever agree with Morrison.

Anyway, I think we're talking at cross-purposes here tbh. Not sure why you think I was in any way defending Morrison or the right in general. All I was doing was building on Spazz's point that authoritarian attitudes to speech come from both sides of the political spectrum by making an observation about the mechanisms both the left and the right use to clamp down on speech they don't like (the right through political mechanisms, the left through enforcing a puritanical culture of political correctness etc).

Yeah, I've been chased at Kardinia Park by skinheads and had beers tossed over me back in the 70s.
Does it mean we should put up with it now?
I don't know what the Carlton bloke actually said or didn't say, but from the photo he was hanging over the race right in the ump's face.
I suspect there's more to it than an average bloke calling a ump a dill.

I could be that the ump in question is an asexual, and in fact does not flog at all, thereby crossing the line sexual orientation sledging.

:)

Amazing that people continue to trot this out. 65% of Australia's media is owned by News Corp., which is decidedly right wing and campaigns heavily for against the Left. Much the the same holds in the UK. Fox news is the most watched network in the US.

Reality doesn't confer with your opinion.

Concentration of media ownership is not synonymous with or reflective of mainstream cultural orthodoxy. I'll admit my use of "media power" was misleading in this sense as it didn't articulate accurately the point I was making. I was more alluding to the fact that political correctess, wokeness and other left-wing attitudes drive culture to disproportionate extent and that this manifests as a form of power. "Power" is a loaded term liable to be conflated with institutional or political power, and I should have made it clear specifically what form of power I meant.

I think you underestimated the response. The average person from the general public might not have paid attention but many did. The papers were full of feedback from concerned people. It really is a dangerous step, and if the libs had nothing to do with it i’d be shocked. One step towards a communist state.
That is good to hear that some people care. Cause yeah, that is some scary s**t.

Concentration of media ownership is not synonymous with or reflective of mainstream cultural orthodoxy. I'll admit my use of "media power" was misleading in this sense as it didn't articulate accurately the point I was making. I was more alluding to the fact that political correctess, wokeness and other left-wing attitudes drive culture to disproportionate extent and that this manifests as a form of power. "Power" is a loaded term liable to be conflated with institutional or political power, and I should have made it clear specifically what form of power I meant.

The idea that the 'wokeness' of social media is the main driver of the political narrative and culture, more so than a news corporation that the majority of Australians actually read, seems to me a dubious claim at best.

People also forget that social media is also awash with right wing ideas and attitudes, and these ideas are just as ideological, influential, and often lamentable as the wokeness many of here bemoan.

I've been saying, if we're happy to shut down free speech one way and everyone is cool with it, the government was eventually going to figure out they'll be fine if they shut it down the other way.
& now that's what they're doing. And no-one will kick up much of a stink at all.
Bad times ahead.
Yeah that's a bad take imho - you can't pin the actions of the right wing government on the left.

The government have been shutting down this sort of stuff for years and years. Now they're more emboldened to do it because people, who get caught up in the BS and scaremongering, keep voting them back in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Culture, maybe. Media? No way. Look at who owns a huge chunk of media in Australia (and across the west).

Murdoch.

Yeah, I clarified that in an earlier post. Poor choice of phrasing on my part. I fully acknowledge in whose hands media ownership is concentrated.

Oh boy, the old "people getting offended about people getting offended" canard. A pointless bit of wordplay and pseudo-irony dressed up as a substantive argument in order to falsely convict anyone complaining about excessive offense-taking of hypocrisy.

Lol.
Nice melt.

'Pseudo-irony'?

As in, the phrase "people getting offended about people getting offended" attempts to suggest there is something inherently ironic or contradictory about complaining about excessive offense-taking. To me the supposed irony being alluded to by the phrase is quite obviously non-existent. It's just glib wordplay masquerading as a serious point.

I assume you disagree so I guess we'll just have to agree to differ there.

As in, the phrase "people getting offended about people getting offended" attempts to suggest there is something inherently ironic or contradictory about complaining about excessive offense-taking. To me the supposed irony being alluded to by the phrase is quite obviously non-existent. It's just glib wordplay masquerading as a serious point.

I assume you disagree so I guess we'll just have to agree to differ there.
You’re overthinking it dude.

No.... just lefty attitudes and societal movement.
In all seriousness, I don't think lefties - of which I call myself one - would give a damn about calling anyone a bald-headed flog. If they'd called him another word starting with f and ending with g, sure, that's at least homophobic, but flog?

That's not left or right, IMO, that's just poorly-run over-zealous security goons.

Mm, depends. More broadly - and shifting away from the original point, granted - it reminds me a lot of those who get *very* heated under the collar about "snowflakes".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back