News 2019 - VFLW R5 RICHMOND V GEELONG 02:30 PM / SAT 8 JUNE - SWINBURNE CENTRE

Remove this Banner Ad

1559862190996.png

For the Tiges Hannah McLaren (daughter of former umpire Scott) and Grace Egan comes in for Lauren Tesoriero and Alana Woodward

1559886914487.png 1559887203545.png

Geelong are stacked with AFLW players but a notable in is AFLW player Rocky Cranston who will play her first VFLW game this year.

1559886805697.png

AFLW Listed Players:

Geelong - Julia Crockett-Grills, Olivia Purcell, Kate Darby, Sophie Van De Heuvel, Cassandra Blakeway, Jordan Ivey, Bec Goring, Rene Caris, Rocky Cranston, Rebecca Webster, Madeline Keryk, Denby Taylor

Richmond - Monique Conti, Katie Brennan, Madeline Brancatisano, Hannah Burchell, Courtney Wakefield, Tayla Stahl

Ladder:
Richmond 3rd - 3 W 0 L
Geelong 10th - 1 W 3 L

FORM:

Richmond
R1 (W) 12.7.79 v Darebin 7.2.44
R2 Bye
R3 (W) 8.10.58 v Essendon 3.5.23
R4 (W) 5.7.37 v Melb Uni 4.10.34

Geelong
R1 (L) 5.3.33 v Melb Uni 12.5.77
R2 (W) 7.2.44 v Essendon 5.9.39
R3 (L) 2.3.15 v Collingwood 3.4.22
R4 (L) 1.6.12 v Western Bulldogs 3.1.19

Watch a live broadcast on richmondfc.com.au

THIS WEEK: Richmond vs Geelong VFL from 11am / Richmond vs Geelong VFLW from 2.30pm

Last edited:

View attachment 688002

For the Tiges Hannah McLaren (daughter of former umpire Scott) and Grace Egan comes in for Lauren Tesoriero and Alana Woodward

View attachment 688179View attachment 688181

Geelong are stacked with AFLW players but a notable in is AFLW player Rocky Cranston who will play her first VFLW game this year.

View attachment 688178

AFLW Listed Players:

Geelong - Julia Crockett-Grills, Olivia Purcell, Kate Darby, Sophie Van De Heuvel, Cassandra Blakeway, Jordan Ivey, Bec Goring, Rene Caris, Rocky Cranston, Rebecca Webster, Madeline Keryk,

Richmond - Monique Conti, Katie Brennan, Madeline Brancatisano, Hannah Burchell, Courtney Wakefield, Tayla Stahl

Ladder:
Richmond 3rd - 3 W 0 L
Geelong 10th - 1 W 3 L

FORM:

Richmond
R2 Bye

Geelong

THIS WEEK: Richmond vs Geelong VFL from 11am / Richmond vs Geelong VFLW from 2.30pm

Noticed in the last 2 games, Melb Uni(North Melb VFLW) and now Geelong stack there teams with AFLW listed ladies as INS to face Tigers VFLW
Maybe a bit of feeling out the way we play coming into the 2020 AFLW season?
Bookmark Monique Conti as a Superstar!!!!!

View attachment 688002

View attachment 688179View attachment 688181

View attachment 688178

AFLW Listed Players:

Geelong - Julia Crockett-Grills, Olivia Purcell, Kate Darby, Sophie Van De Heuvel, Cassandra Blakeway, Jordan Ivey, Bec Goring, Rene Caris, Rocky Cranston, Rebecca Webster, Madeline Keryk,

Ladder:
Richmond 3rd - 3 W 0 L
Geelong 10th - 1 W 3 L

FORM:

Richmond
R2 Bye

Geelong

add Denby Taylor as another Geelong AFLW listed player
Makes it 12 Geelong AFLW v 6 Richmond AFLW

Noticed in the last 2 games, Melb Uni(North Melb VFLW) and now Geelong stack there teams with AFLW listed ladies as INS to face Tigers VFLW
Maybe a bit of feeling out the way we play coming into the 2020 AFLW season?
Bookmark Monique Conti as a Superstar!!!!!

Geelong selected a lot of their AFLW players from their VFLW side so they were always going to have a fairly large contingent of AFLW players playing for their VFLW team.

Conti had 37p

Conti is a unreal pickup for us. Well worth trading our first for her.

She is 19 so effectively it was the same as going into the draft and picking up a youngster except we picked up one of the games best players who will lead our midfield for years to come (if basketball doesn't take her)

I know Stahl kicked 6 in her first game but there were a few easy ones there. If this girl has a day out and has her kicking boots on she will tear a game apart.
Dangerous whenever the ball is near her, great on a lead and does the little things that go unnoticed like blocks and taps to clear a path.

So far she has kicked:

I actually don't think she is too bad a kick, just a tad unlucky.

Conti is a unreal pickup for us. Well worth trading our first for her.

She is 19 so effectively it was the same as going into the draft and picking up a youngster except we picked up one of the games best players who will lead our midfield for years to come (if basketball doesn't take her)
She played like a traditional centre between the arcs and is an elite mover with great vision to pass by hand and fair to good by foot.
Katie Brennan is a beast and wants the ball.
I saw some real good footy in parts by our girls.
Was a bit surprised how much wind comes through the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Stahl kicked 6 in her first game but there were a few easy ones there. If this girl has a day out and has her kicking boots on she will tear a game apart.
Dangerous whenever the ball is near her, great on a lead and does the little things that go unnoticed like blocks and taps to clear a path.

So far she has kicked:

I actually don't think she is too bad a kick, just a tad unlucky.
I know the two misses against melb uni were from snapshots. One hit the post.

She played like a traditional centre between the arcs and is an elite mover with great vision to pass by hand and fair to good by foot.
Two absolute gun recruits , was wrapped we got conti , a star already at such a tender age , years in front of her

Two absolute gun recruits , was wrapped we got conti , a star already at such a tender age , years in front of her
She’s awesome, moves through traffic at speed and then can really crank it ina straight line
She’s real quick

Curious if tommy hunter will coach the AFLW side , has done a great job in developing this side

I am pretty sure Pies who have just replaced their coach would have sounded Tommy out with him being an ex Pie and doing so well in the women's game and the fact that he didn't go is surely a sign that bigger things are destined for him at Tigerland.

The interesting part is whether we appoint another coach for next years VFLW season. I don't know why Tommy can't do both AFLW and VFLW.

AFLW runs Feb & March and VFL is May to September. It just seems an obvious thing to have your senior coach look after both. I don't know why others don't do it.
Next years VFLW team will be made up of mostly AFLW players anyway.

Curious if tommy hunter will coach the AFLW side , has done a great job in developing this side

I'd say he will coach the AFLW side
Already has the same amount of wins 4 this year as all of last year
Noticed a big improvement in skill level and playing system this year
Brendon Gale taking Alice Edmonds under his wing has improved her in the ruck big time
Put her down as another AFLW upgrade very soon

Monique Conti will be right up there with Daisy Pierce, Ebony Marinoff, Ellie Blackburn etc in no time, a natural footballer
Katie Brennan playing in the midfield thru to forward half will kill it, can't understand why Bulldogs didn't try it before us
Wait until Sabrina Fredricks lines up!!!!!!
Bernardi, Monaghan also, wowee stuff the AFL side, jumping on the ALFW BANDWAGON!!!!!

Monique Conti will be right up there with Daisy Pierce, Ebony Marinoff, Ellie Blackburn etc in no time, a natural footballer
Katie Brennan playing in the midfield thru to forward half will kill it, can't understand why Bulldogs didn't try it before us
Bernardi, Monaghan also, wowee stuff the AFL side, jumping on the ALFW BANDWAGON!!!!!
Will be exciting , will go to some games for sure

Brennan through the midfield has surprised me a little. Has done well although needs to work on her tank to be full mid in AFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back