Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL's effort to destroy its own game is impressive. The game is so good that seems immune against it, but still...

It takes some effort to destroy a monopoly but damn they'll give it their best shot. Maybe the SANFL can help them out.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
It's naive to say if you aren't good enough to win against bad umpires then you aren't good enough to win full stop. I reckon GWS were poor last night and probably would have lost anyway, but what if they were a bit better and only lost by 5 points? You can say with some certainty a more favourable free kick count would have gotten them over the line.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's naive to say if you aren't good enough to win against bad umpires then you aren't good enough to win full stop. I reckon GWS were poor last night and probably would have lost anyway, but what if they were a bit better and only lost by 5 points? You can say with some certainty a more favourable free kick count would have gotten them over the line.
I agree. There are so many instances of close games these days.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The turning point in that game last night imo, was the poor kicking coming out of defense by Heath Shaw.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Before the season, with their ageing and experienced list, the Crows were lauded as potential Premiership favourites.
They have underperformed to that lofty ideal so far.
Scraping in over the Demons and an umpire assisted win against GWS but the media is hysterical over them.
Now with almost zero injuries they will have a run at it.
I mean, they have Edddddie, and Teeeeeex.
Still, if they fail this year the cliff is fast approaching and I will revel in observing that.
What a self entitled bunch they are.
I noticed #whereisfages, mangaged to pull himself out of chunking a few at the gym to excitedly congratulate them lel.
Just don’t know where he disappears to when they really need him.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
I wish old mate CokeZeroCans would have a whinge about the umpiring occasionally but "we understand umpires have a hard job" herpa derpa toasted sandwiches.
He does it in the forlorn hope that being sympathetic to them will be rewarded with favourable decisions. Unfortunately they don't operate that way. The <insert expletive that will get you thrown out of the ground here> only respond to fear of criticism from authoritative figures.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Well for starters, Jeremy Cameron would have kicked an important goal in the last when Hartigan tunnelled him, giving away a free, then dropped the ball on the ground in disgust when the umpire told him the free was against him. That's a straight out 50 metre penalty every single time.....except when the umpire doesn't want to earn the ire of Adelaide/West Coast/Geelong fans at home.

Anyone give the $wan$ a chance today? After all they haven’t lost to wet toast at the scg since 1999
So, for as yet unknown reasons the Swans odds have really closed today. It’s as if someone knows something. Still tipping Eagles but there could be an important late out.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Anyone give the $wan$ a chance today? After all they haven’t lost to wet toast at the scg since 1999

Yeo and Hurn are is big outs, but WCE usually manage to cover big outs. They'll be glad they're playing in Sydney this time - similar weather in Perth today as it was on Good Friday.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 7, 2014
reynella
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC , Boston Red Sox/celtics
Port aye lol

Screenshot_20190609-153837_AFL.jpg

Rory Lobb joins a host of Dockers who will miss Saturday's game against Port. Also missing will be Alex Pearce, Matt Taberner and Shane Kersten. Of course, Port took full advantage in round 4 when Richmond were missing their 4 best players.........

Adelaide Footy League ( ie SA Amateur League with a lot of Div 1-3 teams paying a few $$ to players) beat the QAFL 105-85 yesterday in Brisbane at Aspley Oval.

QAFL these day has 5 teams is Brisveags and 4 on the Gold Coast and playing in the NEAFL are Redlands, Aspley and Southport who play against Sydney, GWS, Gold Coast and Brisbane's B grade, Sydney Uni and a team from each of NT and ACT.

In the 80's and early 90's when I played in the old SAAFL it was considered a decent jump from Div 1 league to SANFL reserves and a bigger jump from reserves to League side. Don't know what the ranking is now days, but the result suggests QAFL basically is around the SANFL reserves level or lower with probably the better players going and playing for the 3 Qld based NEAFL sides and if you are any good you get into the Lions and Suns academy squads and you can play in their NEAFL sides.

Not sure what this all means for the AFL trying to build up the quality of footy in Qld. There are definitely now a s**t load more junior clubs in AFL Qld leagues / set up these days. ( The QFL at some point became the QAFL then was disbanded after AFL took them over as part of AFLQ set up, some teams moved into the NEAFL in 2010 and reestablished the Briabane + GC league under the QAFL banner in 2014).

There is anything online summarizing the game but here is the pregame story and the game was filmed and its on

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Rory Lobb joins a host of Dockers who will miss Saturday's game against Port. Also missing will be Alex Pearce, Matt Taberner and Shane Kersten. Of course, Port took full advantage in round 4 when Richmond were missing their 4 best players.........

And they haven't got Lachie Neale any more - he always goes well against Ports (like he did for Brissie this year). That tap on the backside from SPP in his first year clearly isn't forgotten.

If they were a bit better they would have won. Control the things you can control, and the uncontrollable doesn't affect you.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
On the strength of today's game Sam Reid must have the best hands in the AFL. The guy is the epitome of a one grab mark, he reminds me of Chad Cornes in that regard. Reid is everything I hope Todd Marshall or Billy Frampton may one day become.

I'd be hoping for a bit better than that. Reid has been very unremarkable for large chunks of his career. At Port he'd be lucky to have played two dozen games up forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back