Rumour Optus Stadium surface issues

Remove this Banner Ad

I call it Perth Stadium, or simply Burswood. Hate sponsor names, for example where do Geelong play, Godonlyknows Stadium.

As for the stadium, it reminds me of when they were building the Polly Pipe, winge, winge, winge. Within a day of it being opened, the winger’s disappeared. Similar with the stadium, now most are very happy with what they’ve now got.

On the river, short walk from the city, ........ far better athmosphere than Subi.
TEB sounds like the extreme minority, may well start most of his sentences with "I don't mean to whinge but...."

TEB sounds like the extreme minority, may well start most of his sentences with "I don't mean to whinge but...."
I have responded fairly and accurately to each request without resorting to personal attacks, name calling or snide remarks.
The whinging has all been one sided from those who can’t accept that Optus Stadium is not the best stadium in Australia and that the stadium can be improved.

How many games has he played at Optus Stadium?

The WAFL side has only played there once I think, against Peel. He may have played some other games there last year as well, not sure on that

He does however train there every week with the squad which is kinda the point.

+Taberner from Fremantle now with a stress injury in his foot
Freo doesn't train there though.

Not saying there isn't an issue but playing there once every two weeks, and training elsewhere, would probably mean the issue is elsewhere. For Taberner at least.

Not saying there isn't an issue but playing there once every two weeks, and training elsewhere, would probably mean the issue is elsewhere. For Taberner at least.

I think it's a flare up of the foot he broke last year at Optus Vs the Bulldogs. If i'm a betting man i'd say the surface would have played a part in this given the other injuries that have gone on there this year.

Salt?

The only crying is coming from the eagles about a ground they share with Freo

Haven’t seen Freo share the same concerns

Maybe they dont want to or have to when big brother is on the job.

Let the Eagles complaign, fix it and pay for it.

Also being premiers gives a club some more cred that a side who is struggling through rebuild mode.

WA has messed up so many recent developments. The Barnett obsession with building monuments to his greatness has resulted in a plethora of second class facilities that will need to corrected over the next decade due to the already committed funds. This is just another example of this.

Come on.....really!

New stadiums always take a few years to get the surface right.

This one has the issue of big concerts played there and other sports. Its a multi use facility.

But the govt got the grass wrong!,?

The issue as I have had it explained to me is that the construction of the actual playing surface is the last consideration ie: the architects and engineers design the incredible stands and facilities and leave room for the playing surfaces but don’t actually factor the intricate needs of natural surfaces. An expert I have heard talk on this subject has said that the best stadium ms are actually built around existing natural playing surfaces

According to Freo the soreness began after the Richmond game and developed since. The initial fracture obviously occured at Optus Stadium

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on.....really!

New stadiums always take a few years to get the surface right.

This one has the issue of big concerts played there and other sports. Its a multi use facility.

But the govt got the grass wrong!,?

Deadset, they laid the turf, 3 weeks later they had too rip it all up and start again when they realised the turf that was laid was infested with bugs

Eagles ran a trial game during the bye to get some run into our reserve players on Optus Stadium. A few WAFL players played it. They pulled up so sore, WAFL clubs have now banned their players from taking part going forward :$

Freo has some pretty crappy medical staff and apparently the Cockburn training ovals are pretty hard.

Didn't Docklands also have issues with the hardness of the surface when it first launched? How was that fixed?

I think the main issue with the hardness of Docklands is that the concrete car park is under it. That won't be getting fixed unless the demolish it and start again.

Have you been there?
What's your personal gripe with the stadium, other than it not being in Victoria (and turf issues)

https://optusstadium.com.au/the-stadium/about-us/awards
https://optusstadium.com.au/the-stadium/news/optus-stadium-named-worlds-best-in-international-awards

Yes the surface has issues - thats no reason to dismiss the actual stadium out of hand.

The main money makers for the stadium are the two WA, AFL sides, therefore, from their point of view, I'd think the playing surface is the most important part of it. If that is sub-standard then as a whole it can't be best.

You post about the surface issues like they're some sort of minor inconvenience.

The footbridge fiasco, no direct private transport access, ticket allocation, Western Australian public money used to construct a facility that all few (less than one percent can attend for any single event), the lack of harmonising with the WAFL and other state codes (including WACA) regarding special/blockbuster events, the lack of planning regarding post-Optus use of Subiaco, the fact that the stadium could be anywhere in the world and intrinsically linked as a selling point to Perth/WA.
Apologies for this being an incomplete list as it is just off the top of my head.

If it holds 60,000, then for it to be 1% the population of WA needs to be 6 million. The actual population is less than half of that.

I think the main issue with the hardness of Docklands is that the concrete car park is under it. That won't be getting fixed unless the demolish it and start again.
It's firm for cricket and soccer. They kept it that way for the glory to host their grand final.

Lel thats the lamest most emotive winge ever.If thats all you got then then there is nothing that detracts from Perth Stadium being top class top five in the World.Personally I love the stadium love going there.

Do you have to play on it?

I call it Perth Stadium, or simply Burswood. Hate sponsor names, for example where do Geelong play, Godonlyknows Stadium.

As for the stadium, it reminds me of when they were building the Polly Pipe, winge, winge, winge. Within a day of it being opened, the winger’s disappeared. Similar with the stadium, now most are very happy with what they’ve now got.

On the river, short walk from the city, ........ far better athmosphere than Subi.

Not at bloody Kardinya Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back