Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Does going head to head with Cotchin and clearly beating him give him a reprieve this week? At the very least can we keep the discussion to this thread rather than infesting the match preview?

Whilst I believe he is playing his role and holding his place he seems to have lost the hardness over the last few games.
Missed or token tackles are creeping in which is a concern when part of that role is to create a stoppage or halve a contest
I’d like to see Scott S given a shot at that role - whilst we would lose Guthrie’s speed I’d trade that for the extra hardness SS would bring
It would be worth seeing how that plays out , we would then know what each can contribute and what suits us best

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
I’d like to see Scott S given a shot at that role - whilst we would lose Guthrie’s speed I’d trade that for the extra hardness SS would bring

The only way SSelwood should ever play AFL again is if we have injuries to 3+ starting midfielders.

His only ‘point of difference’ was that he played hard and tackled well. Now we have a whole team doing that, and SSelwood’s other limitations (pace, skill) make him redundant.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The only way SSelwood should ever play AFL again is if we have injuries to 3+ starting midfielders.

His only ‘point of difference’ was that he played hard and tackled well. Now we have a whole team doing that, and SSelwood’s other limitations (pace, skill) make him redundant.

You forgot "poor decision making" and "he's not a tagger" as well.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

Agree completely and I'm a fan of Scott.
Even now without him playing, his leadership off field is valuable but I think this is his last year.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Whilst I believe he is playing his role and holding his place he seems to have lost the hardness over the last few games.
Missed or token tackles are creeping in which is a concern when part of that role is to create a stoppage or halve a contest
It would be worth seeing how that plays out , we would then know what each can contribute and what suits us best
He put in a better effort the first two weeks back from injury,but has reverted back to the old Cam now.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
What do you guys think about giving a defensive mid role to Fog and see how he does?

Fog for the same reasons i gave for SS having a go - defensive mid needs to stick tackles and hold up the opposition
I thought SS was doing very well in the 2nds - seems I was mistaken
I expect Guthrie will hold that spot but wouldn’t mind a better tackler having a go as well so we can gauge the best combination

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Has been better lately, but still not completely sold on the guy.
Mostly when I watch replays with more time to watch stuff away from the immediate play.
Still in my best 22

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Especially on the MCG.

Cam can be a frustrating player at times but he's been a solid contributor this season. Generally accurate kicking, handballs out from congestion to players in space, enough closing speed to make it to spilled balls and contest what would otherwise be easy opposition takeaways. Not saying he's been brilliant but happy for him to be in the side as a bottom 6 player - far better than our bottom 6 in some previous seasons.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Not saying he's been brilliant but happy for him to be in the side as a bottom 6 player - far better than our bottom 6 in some previous seasons.

If Cam Guthrie is in our bottom six, we are flying.

Here’s the nominal bottom six from the past two premiership sides.

WCE: Cole, Masten, Venables, Duggan, Vardy, LeCras (2018 incarnation, not LeCras in his prime)

Richmond: Broad, Butler, Castagna, Townsend, Graham, Ellis.

I’d pick Guthrie over the majority if not all of those 12.

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

WCE: Cole, Masten, Venables, Duggan, Vardy, LeCras (2018 incarnation, not LeCras in his prime)

Most of those have had dodgy spells but played well at the time and especially during finals. If Cam offers the same or better level of output for the remainder of the season as they did in their flag years, I'll be happy.

I should state I'm a big advocate of Guthrie > Constable at this stage as we have "better" Constables already in the team. Not seeing who is a like for like replacement for Cam in the VFL. Maybe Cockatoo if he ever got up and flying.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a stolid contributor that isn't never threatens to be in the top 10 players.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

You don't want anyone in your bottom 6 to be a starting midfielder

Back