Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think so. It wasn’t live streamed anywhere.

There is supposedly a video somewhere as some watchers elsewhere have mentioned they will watch tonight (or they are lying through their teeth?). If it exists, it might pop up somewhere at some point....

You clearly have had a different perspective Docker44 to me on a range of these draftees over the last year and a bit (?) - FWIW I think I agree with you on the recent Dillon O'Reilly pick and on your assessment of Liam Henry not likely being a top 10 pick, (although my basis at arriving at that conclusion is probably different from yours).

I know he didn't play today but what do you think of Brandon Walker at this stage and what is your view on why he was not picked? I would be interested in your thoughts on Rivers as well (although this is not really the right forum for it).

Over the past couple of years I have watched a lot of Henry and Ian Hill. I rate Hill higher than Henry.
Hill has better skills both in the air and by foot. Hill also a had a reasonable footy brain.
I rate Henry but think he is still quite raw. A club may gamble on him in the first round but I don’t think so.
I wasn’t having a go. You’re entitled to you opinion and it is about par to suggest he is late first round to mid second at this very early stage of his draft year.

Was just pointing out that you said “not first round” as opposed to “not top 10”. I agree not top 10 but every chance he could go late first round. For all of Sumich’s salty tears he is generally pretty spot on with his assessments of young talent (Jason Carter aside).

For what it’s worth Adam Jones (WA Dev Manager) and Sumich believe his worth is around late 1st to early 2nd. It is around this part of of the draft that a club may rate a Valente, Stocker or Hill (from 2018 ND) at 18-20 or even 28-32.

Either way if we end up with a top 14 pick I feel that will be enough to be before any bids for Henry which is actually a massive win for Freo.

Let’s say we finish 8th - that equates to picks 11 and 29. 29 would likely be pushed back by F/S and other academy so we should trade 29-32 (whatever the pick is) to a club with picks in the 40’s.

30> 42, 48

If Henry is bid at 25 with a 20% discount that equates to 604 pts.

That would leave us with Henry and Pick 64.

So in effect we would end up Pick 11, Henry, 64 (which may creep forward and will be a mid 4th rounder). We currently don’t have 3rd or fourth round picks. So this is important. Currently our third pick would likely be in the late 70’s.

There is supposedly a video somewhere as some watchers elsewhere have mentioned they will watch tonight (or they are lying through their teeth?). If it exists, it might pop up somewhere at some point....

You clearly have had a different perspective Docker44 to me on a range of these draftees over the last year and a bit (?) - FWIW I think I agree with you on the recent Dillon O'Reilly pick and on your assessment of Liam Henry not likely being a top 10 pick, (although my basis at arriving at that conclusion is probably different from yours).

I know he didn't play today but what do you think of Brandon Walker at this stage and what is your view on why he was not picked? I would be interested in your thoughts on Rivers as well (although this is not really the right forum for it).

Enjoy

I know he didn't play today but what do you think of Brandon Walker at this stage and what is your view on why he was not picked? I would be interested in your thoughts on Rivers as well (although this is not really the right forum for

I like Walker and think next year he will be worth watching. This year WA has a strong team and very strong back line. Walker would be competing with Pina and Johnson for the small back spot.

I thought Rivers was good today (second best back behind Ruscoe) but may chase kicks at times. I think he will be second round pick. Good size, solid mark and when he looks to attack he has a penetrating kick.

At times it looked like Henry was playing quite deep. I'd like to see him involved more in transition and maybe have a look at him on a wing. Hard to see from the video but it looked like Henry was working hard defensively as well.

There's a bit to work with.

At times it looked like Henry was playing quite deep. I'd like to see him involved more in transition and maybe have a look at him on a wing. Hard to see from the video but it looked like Henry was working hard defensively as well.

I thought the same he looked dangerous when he moved to the wing.

The kick to a lead up forward at 1hr 55....OhMy!!

I reckon he could have kicked 5 if the trip at the top of the square and a holding the ball were paid

Looks like a very smart footballer.

Stephenson is the best comparison??

I reckon he could have kicked 5 if the trip at the top of the square and a holding the ball were paid

No - Stephenson is taller, faster and really dangerous in the air and has the tools to be an absolute nightmare to any opponent but regularly tries to do too much. My experience watching Henry is he is more deliberate and not as selfish (although I note eDPS said he played pretty selfishly and too quickly yesterday - I haven't had a chance to watch it yet) and generally has better skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 Joel Western
3 Tyrone Thorne
4 Riley Garcia
5 Liam Henry
6 Cameron Anderson
7 Nathan O'Driscoll
8 Brandon Walker
9 Tristan Hobley
10 Deven Robertson
11 Jarvis Pina
12 Regan Clarke
13 Ben Johnson
14 Chad Warner
15 Zane Trew
16 Ty Sears
17 Jeremy Sharp
18 Jai Jackson
19 Elijah Taylor
20 Jaxon Prior
21 Jake Pasini
22 Max Murphy
23 Nicholas Martin
24 Ronin O'Connor
25 Logan McDonald
26 Trey Ruscoe
27 Jack Buller
28 Ryan Hudson
29 Nathan Ireland
30 Reuben McGuire
32 Luke Jackson
34 Ryan Bennell
35 Trent Rivers
36 Denver Grainger-Barras
39 Callum Jamieson
40 Zak Patterson

I wouldn't compare Liam to Stephenson. I got more of a Walters vibe from Liam but Liam was often out-positioned by his direct opponent.

I would really like to see Liam become more of an aerial threat and his tackles to have a bit more bite to them.

I was kind disappointed with the game overall with no player showing they were a class above.

i dunno.

There was a bit to like from a WA perspective.

Liked Robertson. Very composed.
Rivers was very good.

I think Jaxon Prior has something...some of his passing was great, and hes hard in the contest.

I'm not sure Garcia will go anywhere due to height, but though he was good.
Edit: was Thorne not Garcia
Henry did a lot right, but I think needs to work harder.
Sharp was ok.
Really liked Ruscoe.
Jackson did a bit.

He didn't get heaps of it but I like the look of Nathan O'Driscoll.
There's something to work with there and he's got a bit of growing to do by the look of him.

Vic Metro were very...beige though

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back