Toast McHenry, Hamill and Sholl re-sign

xchadders

Premiership Player
May 26, 2012
tasmania
AFL Club
Adelaide
Stars seem to be aligning though. North hawthorn deals expire in 21, new tv deal in 23. Gil is at the very least humouring a bid.
I just don’t see it sadly. It’ll be the same arguments going around rehashed.
But the arguments are always off the mark - ‘won’t be enough sponsors’ which is bull crap, there would be heaps of businesses wanting to sponsor and it’s not like all of them have to be from here. I’m sure mainland companies would sponsor too.
‘Won’t have enough supporters’ - well it wouldn’t be worse than gcs or gws. Plus, in time the kiddies will grow up and support them. I’ve always wanted a team down here, but I could never give up the crows. I’d raise my kid to go for the tassie team though and I reckon most people would.

Our best chance was with Wayne Jackson back in the 90s but dimitipoo and gill are interested in other things.

The afl won’t get new supporters, everyone here has a team or doesn’t follow afl. No new cash for the afl.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Stars seem to be aligning though. North hawthorn deals expire in 21, new tv deal in 23. Gil is at the very least humouring a bid.
I don’t think the AFL would create a new team for Tassie unless they felt the market was big enough for another 2 teams (Tassie and ACT maybe?) or they could relocate a Melbourne team to Tasmania. Otherwise you’ve got a bye for 1 team every week, which is really annoying for scheduling.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
The re-signings are good news for all concerned. Based on what they’ve seen in 6 months working with them, the club clearly rates these kids and feel like they’ll all make it as AFL players long-term. The players are also comfortable enough here to want to sign on for another 2 years.

That's Newcastle Boy oh!

That was a typo made worse by who I support in the EPL :(

The Knights struggle to get 20000. Can't see it.

I can. Trying to take control of your back yard (assuming Australia is our backyard) and doing it at a time where the NRL team is struggling is certainly an opportunity (of course this is outside looking in, and not knowing why it is struggling. Poverty being the main reason would throw a lot of doubt into this idea). Not only that but it'd be a rather untainted market to boot.

It does fit a few key criteria for expansion, and it is the next logical step. Same as Cairns/Townsville.

Huntercrow

Dwat that Wabbit
Feb 7, 2009
Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Adelaide
That was a typo made worse by who I support in the EPL :(

I can. Trying to take control of your back yard (assuming Australia is our backyard) and doing it at a time where the NRL team is struggling is certainly an opportunity (of course this is outside looking in, and not knowing why it is struggling. Poverty being the main reason would throw a lot of doubt into this idea). Not only that but it'd be a rather untainted market to boot.

It does fit a few key criteria for expansion, and it is the next logical step. Same as Cairns/Townsville.
Yeah no worries! Thought as much. The Knights are actually going very well for the first time in a decade but Newcastle is a bit like Tassie. It is a regional town albiet a pretty big one. Any corporates interested in backing such an adventure would be taking a gamble I think.

It would be the logical 3rd team in NSW. The money is in the region if the AFL was successful in convincing the mining industry in the Hunter Valley. But the issue might be that there is nothing in it for coal as their primary sales are overseas.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Considering Sholl was pick 64, that's a huge tick of approval for him to get a two year extension already. I get why Geelong were so pissed when we swooped on him, I just don't see why he fell so far yet.
Doubts about his contested ball winning capabilities...

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don’t think the AFL would create a new team for Tassie unless they felt the market was big enough for another 2 teams (Tassie and ACT maybe?) or they could relocate a Melbourne team to Tasmania. Otherwise you’ve got a bye for 1 team every week, which is really annoying for scheduling.
High speed rail between Hobart and Launceston would be a helpful aid.

Back