List Mgmt. Who is playing for their careers? 2019 edition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our team is crying out for a Cutler type of player, which we have and refuse to utilise. In our top 10 players and Fagan refuses to play in favour of countless pets. I’d rather Cutler be contracted and Fagan delisted.

Our team is crying out for a Cutler type of player, which we have and refuse to utilise. In our top 10 players and Fagan refuses to play in favour of countless pets. I’d rather Cutler be contracted and Fagan delisted.
I don't know whether to
giphy.gif

or
imagechecker

Oh dear.

I wondered how you were related to Cutler, and I think I've finally worked it out.

Hi Tom!

There aren’t many key position players out of contract. Expect McStay is going to play out the season knowing he has a solid offer from us but hoping to up his asking price with a good finish to the season and maybe being able to say he’s had serious offers from other clubs. But confident he’ll stay.

I’m wondering if Martin has told the club he is retiring after this season. That could explain why smith was just extended for 2 years and has been given a run in the seniors.

Lyons/skinner/Keays the hardest to call whether they will get another year. Haven’t done much at senior level but showing promise in reserves. Club will have all the metrics to determine if they are showing any elite capability to justify getting another year even if they don’t get much senior action for rest of season.

I hope you’re right and he is doing enough to deserve 2 years.

I haven’t watched much of the reserves maybe 2 full games on YouTube, but the thing about Skinner is he is now 22 and 4 years on the list. He doesn’t seem to be getting in the best or listed as an emergency like Wooler, ballenden, and maybe doesn’t have the upside and comparative inexperience of Payne and Fullarton.

We have invested a lot but also need to consider if it’s worth holding a list spot longer for a 22yo with 2 afl games with potentially 3/4 younger players ahead of him and 2/3 more experienced players (Adams/walker) on the list as insurance. And it’s not like any of our kpp in the team are close to retirement.

It might make sense to move him on (or rookie him in place of eagles) and get a younger kpp in through the draft to develop.

I hope the turnover this year is limited to 6 or 7. We are fairly stable now as a club and the days of turning over big numbers should be behind us.

I hope Keays can get another crack and an extended run but I'm not sure it's going to happen.

I'm with Dylan on Cutler. He will leave for sure and our coaching staff will talk about trying to add a pacy athletic outside midfielder to the list during the trade/draft period.

I think Skinner and Lester remain on the list but Basti and Christensen are gone as well as Eagles. It wouldn't suprise me to see three retirements in Hodge, Martin and Christensen.

I hope you’re right and he is doing enough to deserve 2 years.
I haven’t watched much of the reserves maybe 2 full games on YouTube, but the thing about Skinner is he is now 22 and 4 years on the list. He doesn’t seem to be getting in the best or listed as an emergency like Wooler, ballenden, and maybe doesn’t have the upside and comparative inexperience of Payne and Fullarton.
We have invested a lot but also need to consider if it’s worth holding a list spot longer for a 22yo with 2 afl games with potentially 3/4 younger players ahead of him and 2/3 more experienced players (Adams/walker) on the list as insurance. And it’s not like any of our kpp in the team are close to retirement.
It might make sense to move him on (or rookie him in place of eagles) and get a younger kpp in through the draft to develop.
Off the top of my head and very quick searches (so if someone knows better happy to be corrected) :
* he missed the start of 2016 recovering from an injury sustained during the U18's (broken leg or first ACL?)
* late 2016 did an ACL
* 2017 again ACL in same leg

So while he has been on the list for 4 years, he has only really had a clear run at it from the start of this year. I would absolutely rookie him at a minimum if we can't find room for him on our list.

I hope the turnover this year is limited to 6 or 7. We are fairly stable now as a club and the days of turning over big numbers should be behind us.

I hope Keays can get another crack and an extended run but I'm not sure it's going to happen.

I'm with Dylan on Cutler. He will leave for sure and our coaching staff will talk about trying to add a pacy athletic outside midfielder to the list during the trade/draft period.

I think Skinner and Lester remain on the list but Basti and Christensen are gone as well as Eagles. It wouldn't suprise me to see three retirements in Hodge, Martin and Christensen.

As long as we have young kids and unproven draftees on the list, we will see significant turnover. Expect Keays to go, Bundy retires and gets a position within the club, similarly with Eagles. Martin and Hodge retire, Cutler gets traded (I think this is a mistake as Cutler is good) and Bastinac gets delisted then picked by by Carlton.

Lewy gets given one more year and told to cement his spot in the side, Lester becomes the new, lesser Hodge type player, Walker gets kept and the younger blokes who have not featured much in the seniors for years have questions marks over them.

With Payne and Skinner they both missed a lot of footy. Probably need a full year in the NEAFL to get on their feet again.
Maybe end of the year one of them got their footy game going. Big men take longer when they missed a heap of footy it will take longer still.
Joyce, Starc and Adams in the same camp they lost a lot of footy.
Joyce and Starc seem to be coming along hope Adams get on the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only 8 games left in the season for the OOC guys to press their claims for an extension. I think our remarkably short injury list this season is skewing the perception negatively on a bunch of these guys.

This sort of amazingly good run with injury by law of averages just can not continue. If we have a more normal/routine type injury list in 2020 we will need guys like Lewis Taylor, Nick Robertson, Josh Walker, Ryan Lester, Mitch Hinge and maybe Ryan Bastinac and Ben Keays as depth/possible 1st team cover.

IMO-

Latest definitely delisted-
Matt Eagles, Corey Lyons.
Probable delistings/trade if possible- Ryan Bastinac, Ben Keays.
Trade, if no takers keep and hope he turns it around- Tom Cutler.
Retire- Luke Hodge.

I cannot see Walker getting another game now Adams has been anointed. Walker is someone who is not going to be given a chance to play for his career. His career at Brisbane is finished.

He will be picked up by other clubs but I don't think he has any trade value.

I cannot see Walker getting another game now Adams has been anointed. Walker is someone who is not going to be given a chance to play for his career. His career at Brisbane is finished.

He will be picked up by other clubs but I don't think he has any trade value.
IMO Josh Walker is reasonable depth if playing as the main intercepting defender ie. in the Harris Andrews type role. He's obviously not as good at it as Harris but your depth cover is never going to be as good as your 1st 22 players, they just need to play their role as best as possible.

If Fagan and co. see either Jack Payne, Sam Skinner or Connor Ballenden as ready and adequate cover in that role maybe Walker gets moved on.

IMO Josh Walker is reasonable depth if playing as the main intercepting defender ie. in the Harris Andrews type role. He's obviously not as good at it as Harris but your depth cover is never going to be as good as your 1st 22 players, they just need to play their role as best as possible.

If Fagan and co. see either Jack Payne, Sam Skinner or Connor Ballenden as ready and adequate cover in that role maybe Walker gets moved on.
Walker probably gets a better contract offer to return to Victoria, than he does to stay at the Lions.

I believe Cutler will ask for a trade back to Victoria.

I have absolutely no idea of trade targets, so have no idea how many list spots the recruiting team will want for the trade and draft period.

I'm starting to think, that apart from McStay, every other current out of contract player might have only been offered a 1 year deal, and that's why we haven't seen more announcements of player signing on.

Walker probably gets a better contract offer to return to Victoria, than he does to stay at the Lions.

I believe Cutler will ask for a trade back to Victoria.

I have absolutely no idea of trade targets, so have no idea how many list spots the recruiting team will want for the trade and draft period.

I'm starting to think, that apart from McStay, every other current out of contract player might have only been offered a 1 year deal, and that's why we haven't seen more announcements of player signing on.
The noise about one big name player or something to that effect leaving is concerning. I've only heard it mentioned on this board a few times, but concerning nonetheless.

The noise about one big name player or something to that effect leaving is concerning. I've only heard it mentioned on this board a few times, but concerning nonetheless.
Depends who you class as a big name player.

We all know Hodge is retiring, so it's not Hodge.

The only players who are out of contract that I personally would not want to see leave are; Stef Martin, Lewi Taylor, Mitch Robinson and Dan McStay. And I only include McStay because we don't have a younger KPF ready step up in to his role just yet.

With the extension of Mitch Robinson's and Jack Payne's contracts the list of possible candidates for delisting at the end of this year is getting shorter. The players I see as 100% certain to be on the list next year are Stefan Martin, Sam Skinner, Daniel McStay, Allen Christensen and Ryan Lester leaving the highlighted players as the ones under the pump given Hodgey retires.

2019:
Ryan Bastinac(R)

Stefan Martin
Lewis Taylor
Tom Cutler
Ben Keays

Sam Skinner
Daniel McStay
Nicholas Robertson
Corey Lyons

Luke Hodge
Allen Christensen
Matt Eagles(R)
Mitchell Hinge(R)
Josh Walker

Ryan Lester

The deeper the season goes the more worried these players will be getting.

With the extension of Mitch Robinson's and Jack Payne's contracts the list of possible candidates for delisting at the end of this year is getting shorter. The players I see as 100% certain to be on the list next year are Stefan Martin, Sam Skinner, Daniel McStay, Allen Christensen and Ryan Lester leaving the highlighted players as the ones under the pump given Hodgey retires.

2019:
Ryan Bastinac(R)

Stefan Martin
Lewis Taylor
Tom Cutler
Ben Keays

Sam Skinner
Daniel McStay
Nicholas Robertson
Corey Lyons

Luke Hodge
Allen Christensen
Matt Eagles(R)
Mitchell Hinge(R)
Josh Walker

Ryan Lester

I reckon you have it right, maybe Hinge would be a bit safer it seems Fagan likes his dedication he did have high praise for him when selected in the seniors. I always thought Qld players take longer to develop, Drummond, Bushy, Charmon etc so I think Keays will probably be extended as he still is improving, that is if he doesn't want a trade. I also think, like Oscar they will bring another 'project' ruckman into the club, rather than look into the draft for one they will pick one out of the state leagues. I think it's a year when no to many clubs are looking for ruckman, mate GWS and Richmond only with us and Carlton thinking about it. Good year to get a cheap one and develop them ourselves and save all draft picks for midfield types. I'm not sure about McStay, if we have heard nothing in the next few weeks I'd say he is going and given we would have a few contracts to upgrade coming up i don't think we could match a big deal he might get from Victoria.

2019:
Ryan Bastinac(R)

Stefan Martin
Lewis Taylor
Tom Cutler
Ben Keays

Sam Skinner
Daniel McStay
Nicholas Robertson
Corey Lyons

Luke Hodge
Allen Christensen
Matt Eagles(R)
Mitchell Hinge(R)
Josh Walker

Ryan Lester

I think the Suns could do a lot worse than have a look at Eagles next year. Keays might get an extension after last weeks game. Yes, some hard calls coming up

Remember the years where we were bemoaning how many players we wanted to get rid of but couldn't that year because of their contracts and how there were some players that we had to keep as you couldn't get rid of too many in a year ... I prefer this problem.

I reckon you have it right, maybe Hinge would be a bit safer it seems Fagan likes his dedication he did have high praise for him when selected in the seniors. I always thought Qld players take longer to develop, Drummond, Bushy, Charmon etc so I think Keays will probably be extended as he still is improving, that is if he doesn't want a trade. I also think, like Oscar they will bring another 'project' ruckman into the club, rather than look into the draft for one they will pick one out of the state leagues. I think it's a year when no to many clubs are looking for ruckman, mate GWS and Richmond only with us and Carlton thinking about it. Good year to get a cheap one and develop them ourselves and save all draft picks for midfield types. I'm not sure about McStay, if we have heard nothing in the next few weeks I'd say he is going and given we would have a few contracts to upgrade coming up i don't think we could match a big deal he might get from Victoria.
Highly unlikely Dan is offered a big deal based on his performances thus far in his career. 24 years old, 95 games in his 6th year. His season this year has been significantly better I admit, but he is a long way off being a player who clubs would offer big $ in my opinion. Big money players are expected to do a lot more than Dan does each week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back