Patrick Cripps

Remove this Banner Ad

There seems to be some confusion from our Geelong friend. This is not about the body of work.

Cripps would be the first player picked by 18 coaches right now.

Reflects poorly on him has an individual and captain if his performances against Essendon (11 disposals, 2 clearances, 0 inside 50s) and GWS (12 disposals, 1 clearance, 0 inside 50s) were him "sooking it up" over Bolton, rather than just being beaten/having an off day.

I feel like Cripps' performance this week had more to do with Ed Curnow being moved back into the midfield (freeing Cripps up more), than any sort of "relief" from a new coach. Obviously the previous coach was the one playing Curnow out of position up forward, but still, I don't think Cripps is that good that he can just pick and choose when he performs and when he puts in showings like this.

Reflects poorly on him has an individual and captain if his performances against Essendon (11 disposals, 2 clearances, 0 inside 50s) and GWS (12 disposals, 1 clearance, 0 inside 50s) were him "sooking it up" over Bolton, rather than just being beaten/having an off day.

Perhaps it might be more along the lines of a young man, whom has only recently turned 24 and played less than 100 games may have just been a little mentally fatigued carrying an entire football team on his shoulders week in, week out, thus impacting on his performance.
It would be understandable for him to have a couple of down weeks if this was the case, he’s been immense for the club in the first half of the season.
I think his response on the weekend was a testament to his character, his acknowledgment of Bolton in his post game interview whilst displaying his enjoyment of the win striking the perfect balance.

Our crowds hold up well considering how bad we have been.

If/when we start to become good on field, be at least as big as Richmond.
No way near Tigers. Blues will always have support, need to get out of marvel

Perhaps it might be more along the lines of a young man, whom has only recently turned 24 and played less than 100 games may have just been a little mentally fatigued carrying an entire football team on his shoulders week in, week out, thus impacting on his performance.
It would be understandable for him to have a couple of down weeks if this was the case, he’s been immense for the club in the first half of the season.

Exactly.

There were no "protest" performances, trying to get Bolton sacked. He just had a couple of off games.

It wasn’t that. Any Carlton fan saying that makes me laugh.

His body language against the Bombers and Giants was poor but to me at least it was pretty obvious why. A young captain struggling with the weight of a footy club at his feet. Way too much expected of him in the midfield and in both games nobody was standing up while he copped heavy attention. He’s human after all.

Everyone can bring up Dangerfield etc and them never having games like that. Well yeah they haven’t had to play for horrible rebuilding teams with awful midfields. I’m not saying he’s better than them. Just think it’s unfair to criticise Cripps for having a couple of down games when so much is expected of him weekly.

There seems to be some confusion from our Geelong friend. This is not about the body of work.

Cripps would be the first player picked by 18 coaches right now.
Based on his single digit effort 2 weeks ago? He's your only good player, put him in the Collingwood line up and he isn't getting it 40 times and kicking 4, that is a fact.

Looks a special talent though, reminds me of Kouta.

Hell of a junior athlete iirc, holds a record or 2 in little aths.

Last edited:
If his form continues this year he will have as many All Australians as Mitchell & Fyfe, and career stats that stack very similar to Dangerfield & Fyfe’s
Is just 24 years old and has played less than 100 games.
Heading towards what most would consider his prime years being 24 to 29
It’s scary how good he may just be.
Sit back and enjoy it.
Chickens = hatch = eggs, long way to go before going there, looks bloody good though, the worst thing about having a player like that is deciding where to play him.

Based on his single digit effort 2 weeks ago? He's your only good player, put him in the Collingwood line up and he isn't getting it 40 times and kicking 4, that is a fact.

Looks a special talent though, reminds me of Kouta.

Hell of a junior athlete iirc, holds a record or 2 in little aths.

Dont think pendles would like being the number 2 midfielder, if that was to happen.
Bit harsh on Sam Walsh - he would just about be in your starting midfield. Kid can play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chickens = hatch = eggs, long way to go before going there, looks bloody good though, the worst thing about having a player like that is deciding where to play him.

If he carries this form through the rest of the year he’s in the conversation.
I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his best game this year coincided with Curnow & Gibbons, senior bodies, being given serious mid-field minutes for the first time this year.
Allowed him to get forward of the contest and kick goals.
With more mid-field support, as you suggest, a mid-field like Collingwood’s, he has the potential to become even more damaging getting forward of the contest and resting forward.

Could see him averaging 30 and 2 whilst being the best contested player in the AFL.

Those stats would make him the best player in the AFL.

The challenge for Carlton is to provide him with that type of support.

Perhaps you could lend us Grundy? Those two together would be something special.

Grundy would be in the mix for sure.

Probably would be too. I'd say they'd go 1 and 2. Tier 1 at the moment for sure.

And then the other players mentioned by some (Dangerfield, Fyfe, Martin, Ablett etc) would follow, in tier 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back