2019 World Cup General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

For a lot of the middle overs you are left to plod along at 80% strike rate and can end up about 6 or 7 for after 50 overs leaving 3 or 4 wickets in the shed.

Sometimes in the early to middle overs you get rolled and its up to the wicket keeper and bowling all rounder to steady the ship.

Why not throw your bowling all rounders in at 4 or 5 depending on the game circumstances? A quickfire 30 from 20balls could be really valuable when your recognised batsmen would be steadying themselves at a 80% strike rate. If it fails at least you have recognised batsmen to steady the ship and they still have time to build an innings.

AB could well lay claim to my favourite player ever, but letting the selectors know through his management less than 24 hours before the announcement of the squad is a very disappointing/egotistical move. Particularly from a guy who wasn't comfortable with the publicity of the tug-of-war for his services in the BBL.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...t-world-cup-recall-sa-team-management-said-no
Agree 100% with the selectors saying no. Especially considering they apparently begged him not to retire and offered him the chance much earlier to play in the side.

What shame - I would have loved to have seen him out there this WC facing some quality bowling attacks.

Bit of FOMO crept in for it would appear after he ran off the T20 leagues.

Agree 100% with the selectors saying no. Especially considering they apparently begged him not to retire and offered him the chance much earlier to play in the side.

What shame - I would have loved to have seen him out there this WC facing some quality bowling attacks.

Bit like a modern day Greg Chappell, picking and choosing when he wants to play.

As good as he is you can't expect to be selected in a World Cup squad at late notice without being part of the preparation, would be unfair on the other players.

The SA selectors did the right thing although they probably expected to be performing better in this World Cup than they have done so far.

If he went to the SA board and players and begged to be included, then I would have included him. You know eat humble pie.

He has done SA cricket so proud over the years that IMO he has many many credits banked to make up for one selfish decision to quit SA.

ABDV is arguably the best batsman in the world and on song, is a bona fide match winner. No batting target to chase is unattainable.

For a lot of the middle overs you are left to plod along at 80% strike rate and can end up about 6 or 7 for after 50 overs leaving 3 or 4 wickets in the shed.

Sometimes in the early to middle overs you get rolled and its up to the wicket keeper and bowling all rounder to steady the ship.

Why not throw your bowling all rounders in at 4 or 5 depending on the game circumstances? A quickfire 30 from 20balls could be really valuable when your recognised batsmen would be steadying themselves at a 80% strike rate. If it fails at least you have recognised batsmen to steady the ship and they still have time to build an innings.

That tactic is fine to ambush an opposition team, many teams have employed this in the past as a once off, it has happened.

You guys are right It was a very poor way to go about it but the word is faf wanted ab in the side and for me that is all that should matter, back your skipper give him the side He wants.

Faf seemed pretty pissed off after the Bangladesh game and even mentioned ab not being in the side, the last thing a side needs is a skipper at odds with the selectors and considering he is an established leader him backing ab should have been enough.

So am I allowed to write off South Africa now?

SA have decided to apply a different way to choke in a ICC tournament, choke before the finals begin.:drunk:

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well the other favourite gave up 340 runs to a side that got rolled for 130 by the west indies, india look to have the best balance and england have easily the best batting but many feel a balanced lineup is a slightly better bet in pressure knock out games.

No that any of this matters, pre world cup form doesn't win world cups and being favorites doesn't win you knock out games either.

Still awaiting a full translation, but the essence of it so far is that Shahzad was told he was unfit and being sent home because of his knee, even though the MRI used for it dates from the warm-ups - so he played two games with this injury without issue.

He alleges that Gulbadin was unhappy with him because of his keeping and lack of footwork while batting. Phil Simmons had no say over what happened. Furthermore, he says that Asghar Afghan was dropped with a fake injury as well, and that Gulbadin has become arrogant. He, along with Nabi and Rashid, strongly criticised the decision to remove the captaincy for Asghar before the tournament.

With all this happening, I don't see any way Afghanistan wins a game. Scotland would've put up a better, and certainly more professional, performance. The ACB needs a cleanout, as does the ODI team. Of the current squad of 15, the only ones I would keep around for the time being are Hazratullah (to see whether he can make it), Rashid, Rahmat, Najibullah and Aftab, along with Nabi until he retires. Too many players that are better suited to the longer format, or shouldn't be in the squad at all.

Last edited:
I was concerned pre tournament that Gilly would be right about a team scoring 500. It could still happen of course but I'm happy that we haven't seen a team crack 400 so far.

I was concerned pre tournament that Gilly would be right about a team scoring 500. It could still happen of course but I'm happy that we haven't seen a team crack 400 so far.

When the conditions have been right, batting has still been super easy. I think the psychological pressure of the World Cup is more responsible for the lower scores.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back