World Cup Day 11 Australia v India @ The Oval.

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nile bowled ok, Stoinis crap.

He went at over 6 an over...after going at over 7 last match. I agree Stoinis is garbage, but seeing they ridiculously didn't pick Mitch Marsh in the squad, there is no other all rounder option.

Too much to chase. Not having a back up for Stoinis is going to bite us. Nice Mark Taylor impression from Warner today

Plenty of room for improvement and only 36 runs behind.

They really showed us how to death bowl. We really weren't good enough bowling in the last 10. That's the 'phase' that hurt us. We were on more runs after 40 overs than they were.

good game. Super flat wicket, Aus are a very good side. I think these two sides will meet in final. Unless England get lucky and win tosses on flat decks.

Lyon for Zampa.
Medium pacers need to bowl top of off stump.
You can't bowl short s**t to India's top order.
Warner needs to stop batting for himself and take some calculated risks.
Stoinis doesn't look up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
We are one quality batsman short and one quality bowler short.

The big problem lies with Stonis. It was madness not picking Mitch Marsh as the back-up allrounder.

We will always struggle against India, England and even New Zealand with a lack of a quality fifth bowler.

I would drop Zampa for Lyon, Coulter-Nile for Behrendorff and Khawaja for Marsh.

119 times the team batting first has scored 350+.

9 times they have lost, one by D/L. 9, not "at least 15". And never in a World Cup.

That said, there are some quality teams at this World Cup that might do it. Australia is not one of them.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...val1=runs;size=200;template=results;type=team

You said '....350 has never been chased in a World Cup' I said so what ... it's been done 15 times in ODI's.

From the same site you used ...

Records1.jpg

16 scores over 350 by sides batting second in ODI's. 16 times a team batting second has made more than 350 in their run chase. 10 of those run chases were successful in that they resulted in the team batting second winning the game - not 9 as you purported.

Could only tolerate Warner because he scored so fast. Now he’s not even doing that.

On the plus side it was a good confidence building innings for Finch, Khawaja, Smith and Carey.

Well played India deserved the win. Stoinis is a real issue for Australia at the moment, offering absolutely nothing with bat or ball but we don't have a replacement for him in the squad. What's with Warner scoring 56 off 84 chasing 350 ? Sadly another issue for us is if Cummins and Starc don't take a fair chunk of wickets we'll be conceding big scores. The Oval pitch was also a road, can't stand wickets like that, prefer matches when conditions offer something for the bowler.

A very strange chase by the Aussies. Showed no intent at all and chased as if they had accepted they were not winning so just protected their NRR

A few changes for the next match against Pakistan. Use the squad!

1. Aaron Finch (C)
2. David Warner
3. Usman Khawaja
4. Steve Smith
5. Shaun Marsh
6. Glenn Maxwell
7. Alex Carey (+)
8. Nathan Coulter-Nile
9. Pat Cummins
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Jason Behrendorf

Give Starc a breather, and Zampa too (bowling average is now 46.10 in ODIs over the last two years, from 24 matches). We can't keep carrying Stoinis either (averaging 14.33 with the bat over his last 10 ODIs, and 37.75 with the ball over the same span), and we need five genuine bats. I might even try Usman or Marsh opening with Finch, and put Warner at #4 or #5, so long as Davey keeps the run rate up! I'd prefer Maxwell at #4, but it might be a bit of a "Robbing Peter to pay Paul" proposition when shuffling the others around. Our lack of firepower with the bat was known going in, but after last night, it's an even bigger concern.

Back