Autopsy Rd 12 Carlton vs Brisbane - Blues suffer winning faTeague

Who played well for the Blues in Round 12 vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's staggering that his kicking wasn't a pre draft strength given some of the perfectly weighted passes we've seen this year. Either the scouting reports were wrong, or - and this would be terrifying for 17 other clubs - Sam put in the work and has added a new strength to his game over a single pre season.
The seriously good players are the ones that have real strengths already in their games and then work hard to turn around perceived weaknesses. For example Cripps came to us as a contested ball freak with weaknesses in his running ability and galloping. Suffice to say that these are now strengths due to his professionalism.

I think that i have seen Sam's kicking improve markedly in the last couple of weeks. Most first year players are just trying to hang on as the season gets longer and the body gets worn down but i think that we are seeing a player identifying an area that he needs to work on and remarkably improving as he goes along.

The seriously good players are the ones that have real strengths already in their games and then work hard to turn around perceived weaknesses. For example Cripps came to us as a contested ball freak with weaknesses in his running ability and galloping. Suffice to say that these are now strengths due to his professionalism.

I think that i have seen Sam's kicking improve markedly in the last couple of weeks. Most first year players are just trying to hang on as the season gets longer and the body gets worn down but i think that we are seeing a player identifying an area that he needs to work on and remarkably improving as he goes along.
For galloping read goalkicking.

Bloody autocorrect.

I have taken to leaving out gender references and personal pro-nouns and just using umpires numbers to speak of them. 'Umpire 34 is not very good' has no gender bias.
Who looks at the umpires numbers though?

If you didn't watch the match how did you know who you are talking about without googling umpire numbers.

Working weekends sucks, big time. My phone decided out of the blue that the internet wouldn't work; the Telstra store nearby had a remote malfunction, and so the game was stuck on a replay of Ash Barty's semifinal win; excellent though that was, it wasn't the sport I wanted to watch. I knew the scores early, so I knew the Lions got off to a flier; I knew we'd pegged them back, even hit the front late in the second. I talked my mother into texting me updates; she didn't send me one until the final score, but that, and that alone, made it worth it.

I've finally watched the game. What a time to be alive!

Dow was sensational. His composure with ball in hand developed as the match unfolded. He played as though empowered; you can and you will make mistakes, but let them harden you, stiffen your spine. Turn error into adversity, another foe to overcome; let failure be no impediment to your will. LOB has always had that spark in him, that stiffness of spine; it is captivating to watch it emerge on a footy field, to see him revel in it. There were a number of times where the ball got to him awkwardly (around his ankles, too far in front of him or just behind) and he just leant forward, backward, contorted himself to take it and to take contact.

Cripps played his game, and there is no higher praise than that. The bloke plays AFL on easy, where all others play on at least hard.

Weitering demonstrated that he understands the game on higher planes. Marchbank plays better when the ball is moved faster. Casboult has forced me to eat my words; never thought he'd make it as a backman. SPS was good without standing out, but I really like that he took his kick in the final term. Had he made better connection, it would've sailed through.

Charlie has every right to feel robbed; Cripps and Gov floated across the face of him twice, and Jack almost nicked another. Speaking of Jack, it isn't solely his sheer effort that makes him a worthwhile proposition at AFL level. There were a number of times where he'd done all the work, he'd nudged the bloke under the ball just enough, he'd gotten separation and went to pick up the ball, but then he'd not take the chest mark or he'd fumble, and the game would move on. He's made huge strides over the past few years, but he's inches away from being a Paul Chapman-esque hybrid forward/mid.

That is genuinely as dangerous we have looked going forward in a very long time. We didn't break down across half forward, and opposition didn't rebound the way they normally would. I also approve of the idea of going in using Ed as an option to tag without that being the default; it allows you to observe the opposition in the moment, pick the most dangerous player on the day. What is better, to go in thinking Neale is the most dangerous player and so to shut him down so Zorko runs wild, or to let the game flow organically and to create a patch of dominance via depriving them of that avenue?

It is time to address the elephant in the room.

I've been pretty well established in here as being pro Bolton. I agreed with his mindset from the moment he walked into the club, and from that point there have been few areas in which what he'd done that I disagreed with. Wins would've been good, but it was courageous beyond words his devotion to development, and it ultimately cost him his job. The board have demonstrated that they could not live with the sheer weight of the constant losses. I heard Brad Lloyd interviewed on Triple M on Friday; they will again be conducting a review of the football department, it was part of why he was hired, to assist and to run it. The areas that they sought last season was high performance, hence Russell; he outlined that the next few areas was coaching, and list management; I'd expect that this is very much a watch this space kind of a thing.

Ultimately, Brendon Bolton is a human being who has done a huge amount right by this club. He deserves more respect by the fans than has been shown at times in this and in other threads on this site. That we won on Saturday is almost immaterial to this fact, the fact that without him we are not in any position culturally to accept the level of change that this club has (hopefully) undergone, and in no position to move into the future with anything other than more undeserved arrogance.

Pushing that cloud aside for better weather, it was good to watch tackles being stuck and forcing mistakes. It is this that I want to see most of all, in the days that come; tackles and pressure create opportunity. On ya David Teague; you were one of my favorites, in the nebulous days when I first began to follow the game seriously. You got our forward line working, better than it has seemed in a very long time. If you can maintain that, there will be no need for Ross Lyon, and for that I will be eternally grateful.

Great post!

Wasn't just the win, was how we went about it. Down by six goals, turbulent week to say the least, and absolutely monstered a top 5 team for a half. Lots and lots of contributors. Hope restored 😁
I can’t remember a come from behind win like that since the Ratten days. I’m sure there were plenty pre 80’s before I was born.

Was too young in the 80’s to remember anything, the 90’s are fuzzy and we used to win plenty so the wins seemed like they were just going to happen.

Then the dreaded 00’s happened. Can’t remember many come from behind wins with Brittain but that is going back a while.

Can anyone jog my memory? I seem to remember always thinking we were in with a chance when Ratts was coach, because Judd

Keeps moving but holds the footy up … rarely releases until a target can be hit … which supports his 82% disposal efficiency … this bloke will be something else come 23 years old mark my words … something very very special.
I still can’t believe he’s only played 12 games. 12 marks as well which showcases his running power and to the right spots to create an out kick.

I’ll be watching the replay twice today

Just watched the replay.

Something that really stood out on second viewing was our players working to create space and block for each other.

Numerous occasions when we had the ball around half back, a player would present and draw a Brisbane player, leaving some space to hit up a different player in the clear. This really helped with our ball retention.

There were also some good little blocks and shepherds to give teammates a bit more time and space as well.

These are 2 things that have been sorely lacking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a day.

Interestingly Bolton tried releasing the shackles and playing attaching free flowing footy last year and we we towelled up. Think things just didn't align for him from an injury/luck point of view.

People saying Teague's pressa was a breath of fresh air (which it was) need take into account how hard it is to front up for 11 weeks with only 1 win. Ultimately everyone was just trying too hard and the pressure mounted too the stage where we couldn't perform. Cripps plays that game last we we would have come close to winning. Was unstoppable.

Thing I liked the most was Dow,after his terrible worm burner where he and McKay had the Lions done cold , intercept the kick outthen made the make the perfect inside 50 kick to 2 blues who spoiled each other 25 out from goal. 15 seconds later made a similar kick where Crippa stole the ball out of Curnows grasp to kick his second. Wasn't at full pace making these kicks. The first clanger he had plenty of time to settle. Hopefully he will gain awareness.

MM played a great second half.

Even though Neil had 25 at half time was really that damaging (a side from the good clearance just after half time and a crap 50)

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Lions stall next year. Lacked run off half back ( normally that cuts us up) and Martin looks just about done. Looks way to heavy.

Lions were really poor. We/umpires pretty much gave they 6 of their first 8 goals (Cripps 2, Weiters 1 Newman 1 Umpires 2). Think they were reading purples sliding doors and starting to look at where they could have been after the next 4 weeks.
Teagues presser was a breath of fresh air compared to all coaches in general. Not just under pressure bolts.

I've got a feeling our newest superstar to be, young Walsh, aka 'the boy wonder' has a bit of grit to him. I don't see too many fancy frills about the way he plays. In hard, takes no sh!t, and from all accounts was in full n Professional mode from the time he arrived. I have no idea of his background, but I like the cut of his jib.
And he’s got a haircut you can set your watch to. No frills, no fuss. 18 years old and a tough little bugger already.

Zorko smashed into him and went off, I’ve got no doubt Walshy has a mighty big bruise because of that collision. Grimaced a bit and went on with it.

I’m so glad he plays for us.

Has there ever been a player that you could say “he’ll captain the Carlton footy club one day” after 12 games into their first season.

I know Crippas second season was speshul but.......

And he’s got a haircut you can set your watch to. No frills, no fuss. 18 years old and a tough little bugger already.

Zorko smashed into him and went off, I’ve got no doubt Walshy has a mighty big bruise because of that collision. Grimaced a bit and went on with it.

I’m so glad he plays for us.

Has there ever been a player that you could say “he’ll captain the Carlton footy club one day” after 12 games into their first season.

I know Crippas second season was speshul but.......

The only other player I’ve said that about was Crippa. The thing with Walshy too is that he he speaks really well and will engage in a conversation really bloody good kid.

Last edited:
Couldn’t agree more. Which is why Gibbons was great yesterday. Gryan Miers at Geelong. Play them in their positions and let them do it.

Cats are a great example.

Stopped playing mids (Parfitt/Cockatoo) and flakey flankers (Thurlow/Gregson/Crameri/Murdoch) as forwards and recruited Dahlhaus/Miers/Rohan.

What a difference that made. Now have the most efficient forward line in the AFL.

Back