News David Teague - Training wheels OFF

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Teague was brought in as a forwards coach, having done well at Adelaide, and Bolton was overruling him on structures? Pretty poor. Our forward line structure has been horrible.

Pretty sure I’d take Hawthorn’s forward structure that produced results for years over Adelaide’s forward structure that had one good year.

Not taking away from the win, but Brereton said it best on Saturday night - the good teams that play with structure, don’t just beat teams playing the way we did on Saturday, they MURDER them.

Good to have a win, but if think you this style wins us a premiership, then you’ll be back to all your negative Nellie attitudes in no time. Bolton was coaching structures that the successful teams use to win premierships.

Pretty sure I’d take Hawthorn’s forward structure that produced results for years over Adelaide’s forward structure that had one good year.

Not taking away from the win, but Brereton said it best on Saturday night - the good teams that play with structure, don’t just beat teams playing the way we did on Saturday, they MURDER them.

Good to have a win, but if think you this style wins us a premiership, then you’ll be back to all your negative Nellie attitudes in no time. Bolton was coaching structures that the successful teams use to win premierships.
Wot? Bolton's structures were poor and didn't fit the personnel he had at his disposal. Premiership coaches win by fitting a system to their players. The exact opposite of what was happening here. Bolts for all the brilliant things he did at this club got structure really wrong.

Wot? Bolton's structures were poor and didn't fit the personnel he had at his disposal. Premiership coaches win by fitting a system to their players. The exact opposite of what was happening here. Bolts for all the brilliant things he did at this club got structure really wrong.

So there was an issue with the structures when we almost beat a premiership favourite or where we dominated Hawthorn for a half or where we were competitive in most games this year? No, let’s go off the 2-3 games that we weren’t competitive in, because young, inexperienced teams never have blowouts, do they?

Does anyone have any thoughts on what Teague would have to achieve to get the job next year?

~ 6 win season.
Stay competitive.
Younger guys getting more of the ball.
Structures making sense and working.
Cripps and Docherty to give their approval.

EDIT: So barass now states that maybe Teague and Bolton didn't see eye to eye?
Absolutely no surprise at all. Could see that at the start of the year. All that talk of happiness and unity......why?

If it wasn't for our shaky, nervy overly aggressive start that landed us initially nearly 40 points down, we did murder them.

~ 6 win season.

Absolutely no surprise at all. Could see that at the start of the year. All that talk of happiness and unity......why?

I understand that Barass has good mail. But just think about this logically - new concept for most you I know - but just try it for once.

Two things:

1. Do you really think that whoever Barass knows at the club is in every forward line structure meeting with Bolton and Teague? And if there was a difference of opinion, why is it automatic that Bolton is the one that was wrong? Granted, the forward line on occasions this year hasn't worked. But is that a systemic forward line structure issue or is it a symptom of a young and inexperienced team with delivery into the forward line from young and inexperienced onballers further up the ground?

2. Bolton spent EIGHT years at one of the most successful clubs of the modern era. Do you really think what he was trying to implement at Carlton would have been so far removed from what went on at Hawthorn or any other AFL club for that matter?

You take one game and hearsay from someone (no matter what his 'mail reputation' may be) to fit your own naive and illogical arguments that Bolton can't coach.

I thought Weitering/Cripps/Walsh and Charlie - murdered them - the rest of the players went along for the ride doing their bits and pieces. My dead grandmother could coach a win with the players mentioned playing as well as that each week.

If Teague can get the rest of the group to lift and make up for 'ordinary' games from the stars - that will be the tick required - because that is what stops Carlton from being a 'middling' side right now.

If it is Cripps or nothing each week - nothing will have changed.

For Teague to show he deserves the job - he needs to get much more out of SPS/Fisher/Dow/Cuningham/Harry and McGovern - needs to show that he has shown the side how to actually smash an opponent - that is when the side has grown in my mind. SO rather than 5-6 wins - I'd be looking at a couple of ten goal + wins as proof of his mettle.

So there was an issue with the structures when we almost beat a premiership favourite or where we dominated Hawthorn for a half or where we were competitive in most games this year? No, let’s go off the 2-3 games that we weren’t competitive in, because young, inexperienced teams never have blowouts, do they?
There were issues with our structures in other games too, I believe ultimately hindering us and preventing us getting over the line in a couple of them. Ed Curnow not in the midfield? Gibbons at full forward? B70 himself has enlightened us with Bolton and Teague disagreeing on forward structures. Nothing to do with age. Don't use that cop out. I'm not saying they were awful, I'm saying they weren't right for our list profile and types.

I understand that Barass has good mail. But just think about this logically - new concept for most you I know - but just try it for once.

Two things:

1. Do you really think that whoever Barass knows at the club is in every forward line structure meeting with Bolton and Teague? And if there was a difference of opinion, why is it automatic that Bolton is the one that was wrong? Granted, the forward line on occasions this year hasn't worked. But is that a systemic forward line structure issue or is it a symptom of a young and inexperienced team with delivery into the forward line from young and inexperienced onballers further up the ground?

2. Bolton spent EIGHT years at one of the most successful clubs of the modern era. Do you really think what he was trying to implement at Carlton would have been so far removed from what went on at Hawthorn or any other AFL club for that matter?

You take one game and hearsay from someone (no matter what his 'mail reputation' may be) to fit your own naive and illogical arguments that Bolton can't coach.

How about this logic - View things through your own lens. Maybe you should give it a go, before a smart arse comment like that.
I've on many occasions put forward Teagues' February video. I watched it several times and garnered what I did from it and from general observation.
So tell me - Where is your logic emanating from? What do you see and why?

What has been proved to me is that many more prolific posters here don't see things when it's in front of their nose and I don't need barass to tell me what was clear months ago. He just reinforced it.

EDIT: And where did I say Bolton can't coach? Are you another one of those liars. Too many here.

Excellent points you make.

Only thing is though, who says Teague won’t build more structure around what we saw on Sat?

I don’t recall Teague saying job done, drop mic.

How about this logic - View things through your own lens. Maybe you should give it a go, before a smart arse comment like that.
I've on many occasions put forward Teagues' February video. I watched it several times and garnered what I did from it and from general observation.
So tell me - Where is your logic emanating from? What do you see and why?

What has been proved to me is that many more prolific posters here don't see things when it's in front of their nose and I don't need barass to tell me what was clear months ago. He just reinforced it.

EDIT: And where did I say Bolton can't coach? Are you another one of those liars. Too many here.

Got q link to the video Harks- I haven't seen it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone have any thoughts on what Teague would have to achieve to get the job next year?
That depends on Clarko’s availability. If they secure Clarko there is nothing he can do short of making finals, winning at least one and inspiring an uprising of the membership.

If Clarko stays at Hawthorn (as expected) he would need to get Carlton just beyond where they expected to be this year, e.g. a 50/50 win loss under his stewardship, i.e 7-8 wins for the season.

Just my thoughts.

Just re-watch Teague’s presser and i thought he was brilliant. Praised the coaching staff and playing group. Obviously listened to suggestions from the other coaches, made moves to counteract what the opposition were doing (Sending Ed to Neale to mention one) and also gave clear and no riddle laden answers to the journos. He looked really comfortable explaining his thoughts and what he expected of the group. Loved how he said he challenged Cripps, if thats the result, challenge Sir Patrick every week.

I've posted it 100 times.....but will go look for it......just for you. :)

That was quick.

I know what I took out of it - Uncertainty. Worse than uncertainty, actually.

Good statement of his forward philosophy. 👍

Nothing radical or too technical. Just solid fundamentals.

Good statement of his forward philosophy. 👍
Nothing radical or too technical. Just solid fundamentals.

His philosophy though has to be shared with his senior coach and listening to Teague in February 'highlighted' that he wasn't particularly happy with the cards he had been dealt. If you listen to his delivery and his words, the interview is sprinkled with uncertainty and a certain lack of confidence in what he's saying.

~ 6 win season.
Stay competitive.
Younger guys getting more of the ball.
Structures making sense and working.
Cripps and Docherty to give their approval.

Agreed, achieve that and i think he'll be a good chance.

Improve the assistant coaching group and bring in Roos in some kind of advisory role to support him and we might having a winning coaching team.

I might have missed it, but what part of what Teague said, would have him differing to Bolton and other coaches?

Arr0w I can't tell you what you have to hear and why, as we'll enter one of those pointless journeys in "I hear this but I don't hear that'

I know what I got out of that interview and have highlighted aspects of it many times over. Up to the listener/viewer.

Arr0w I can't tell you what you have to hear and why, as we'll enter one of those pointless journeys in "I hear this but I don't hear that'

I know what I got out of that interview and have highlighted aspects of it many times over. Up to the listener/viewer.

Personally, I think Teague gave an honest appraisal

Looking at midfielders to be able to expand on other positions, namely forward craft and rightfully so

Most teams have a different mix, small forwards only, others more forward than midfielder, some can do both exceptionally well, while we have midfielders that can improve their forward prowess

Nothing that was earth shattering

Not sure what else he said that would contradict Bolton's methods, or that of any other coach

Coaches have different styles, methods rarely differ

Teaugy is a fresh approach let’s see how he goes, one good win does not make a strong successful coach or team, although a massive relief to supporters and club administration.
David needs to inspire the youngsters to perform at least another 6 times before end season, if we achieves 6 to 8 wins and players are happy why not consider him?
its interesting and exciting times ahead at least we’re not stagnant . I respect and appreciate Brendon Bolton’s fundamental work with us and wish him well.
But now shackles are off, structures not so rigid, let’s see the outcome with a different approach.
One game at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back