Roast Topping up on senior players was the wrong move

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still stand by most of my initial assertion... except Ablett, where I will admit that I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

This was posted before we picked up Dalhaus and Rohan, by the way.

Of all those I listed in the first paragraph of this thread, I should add that only Tuohy and Ablett are still in our 22.
Shaky ground. Because if we hadn’t taken this path the alternative one doesn’t have us in this position now.

I still stand by most of my initial assertion... except Ablett, where I will admit that I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

This was posted before we picked up Dalhaus and Rohan, by the way.

Of all those I listed in the first paragraph of this thread, I should add that only Tuohy and Ablett are still in our 22.
How can you possibly still think that? Stanley and Danger are possibly our two most important players. Throw in the other 5 or 6 and we are seriously low on the ladder without them.

How can you possibly still think that? Stanley and Danger are possibly our two most important players. Throw in the other 5 or 6 and we are seriously low on the ladder without them.
It's because people focus on the few misses. Every club has these whether recruiting from the draft or via free agency/trades. There have been a few shockers such as HMac and Clark. Now we look at S Selwood and Hendo, thinking "really?". The former was an iffy selection I think we can agree on, but the latter at the time was sensible. We didn't know Taylor would have such longevity or Blicavs would move to the defence and becoming an AA key backman. Then guys like Henry have been surprise packets. Hendo had a couple of good seasons but may be redundant now. So be it.

Danger speaks for himself but I don't believe the OP targeted him. Like you said, Stanley took time but eventually you would have to say was a big tick. Smith has been a let down, but he didn't cost a whole lot. Dahlhaus and Rohan were genius moves that have swung the argument if there ever was one. Jez can say it was made before them but as someone mentioned, without the "strategy" then we wouldn't have moved for them.

The current climate more than ever suggests a healthy balance is the best approach. It's boring, but it's true.

Dahlhaus and Rohan were genius moves that have swung the argument if there ever was one. Jez can say it was made before them but as someone mentioned, without the "strategy" then we wouldn't have moved for them.
This is a fair point.

Look, maybe I'm just a bit irritated that someone clearly bookmarked the thread for a "gotcha" moment.

Op is spot on. Just because we have got a couple of decent ones cheap recently doesn't mean that Henderson, Smith, blease, selwood, tuohy, black are a success

This is a fair point.

Look, maybe I'm just a bit irritated that someone clearly bookmarked the thread for a "gotcha" moment.

I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and say the thread was refreshed to promote a new, mature discussion on the subject with the benefit of hindsight.

Any further debate will hopefully be just that. But yeah, BF is very prone to smugness, arrogance, mockery, and a desperate desire to prove a superiority of opinion. Base human traits really.

Don't take it personally. As always, you just have to sort through a lot of chaff to find the good stuff.

It's because people focus on the few misses. Every club has these whether recruiting from the draft or via free agency/trades. There have been a few shockers such as HMac and Clark. Now we look at S Selwood and Hendo, thinking "really?". The former was an iffy selection I think we can agree on, but the latter at the time was sensible. We didn't know Taylor would have such longevity or Blicavs would move to the defence and becoming an AA key backman. Then guys like Henry have been surprise packets. Hendo had a couple of good seasons but may be redundant now. So be it.

Danger speaks for himself but I don't believe the OP targeted him. Like you said, Stanley took time but eventually you would have to say was a big tick. Smith has been a let down, but he didn't cost a whole lot. Dahlhaus and Rohan were genius moves that have swung the argument if there ever was one. Jez can say it was made before them but as someone mentioned, without the "strategy" then we wouldn't have moved for them.

The current climate more than ever suggests a healthy balance is the best approach. It's boring, but it's true.
Rivers was a win too

The Clark was a massive brain fart by the recruiting team, and it was based on lions connection
Hendo we overpaid - because we always do

It is interesting that the cats were really into crouch, and sando was the project leader
when he went to the crows he took the geelong blueprint and they beat us to the punch

Op is spot on. Just because we have got a couple of decent ones cheap recently doesn't mean that Henderson, Smith, blease, selwood, tuohy, black are a success
How is tuohy not a success? He was a 5 pick downgrade and smedts. We came away like bandits on that deal, and until this season did not miss a single game in our 22.

We got enough value out of smith too. At the time he was our number 1 ruck for a few seasons, when our ruck stocks were thin and we only payed a late pick for him.

How is tuohy not a success? He was a 5 pick downgrade and smedts. We came away like bandits on that deal, and until this season did not miss a single game in our 22.

We got enough value out of smith too. At the time he was our number 1 ruck for a few seasons, when our ruck stocks were thin and we only payed a late pick for him.
Correct.
Henderson was also clearly a success.

This is a fair point.

I think it was my bump and I hadn’t bookmarked it, honest. I was actually searching for another “roast” when I stumbled on this.

But if you make threads like this you’ve got to be willing to suck it up when it goes wrong.

Actually it’s the opposite. Just because some have gone wrong doesn’t mean the overall strategy wasn’t right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This "topping up" term doesn't ring true with me.
When you have limited access to the best players in the draft (because of finishing higher up the ladder so often) what options do you have?
Topping up suggests you are simple adding some cream to the already full pudding.
In fact, it just makes sense to get the best players you can with the resources you have.
It hasn't worked for all trades, but you can say exactly the same thing for drafting young players.

This is a fair point.

We all have our clangers....

*reminds self to go and delete all Cam Eardley will make it references*:oops:

GO Catters

We all have our clangers....
I wouldn’t even describe this one as a clanger iameviljez. It wasn’t a shocker of a position to take, even if I didn’t agree. And as someone said above, the bump was more to promote discussion as I thought it was interesting to revisit than trying to rub your nose in it.

How do we feel about the club's approach as we head into another precarious off season.
The last two years have been full on in regards to topping up. Steven, Jenkins, Higgins, Smith and Cameron.

Does the club choose to go again and top up during the 2021 draft or do we finally look to the future and start building?

How do we feel about the club's approach as we head into another precarious off season.
The last two years have been full on in regards to topping up. Steven, Jenkins, Higgins, Smith and Cameron.

Does the club choose to go again and top up during the 2021 draft or do we finally look to the future and start building?
The three years before that were even worse.

touhy, rohan, dalhaus, ablett, dangerfield, z.smith, henderson, s.selwood.

The calls to rebuild are now deafening. I’d be shocked if we now traded for any mature players for a few years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back