2nds Northern Blues 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Could AJ help us out the Seniors ? after a few more games in the 2nds.
It would be an incredible story.

We did not draft him in mid-season draft. Not eligible for AFL this season. Some club may gamble on him in November Rookie Draft or SSP from December to March in summer if he can get through rest of this VFL season without issue.

Clearly one would need to come out hence the reference to Casboult, but as stated previously, he is doing everything right in the seconds, so food for thought. Four talls worked out alright yesterday though 🤔 But I get your point.

Clearly one would need to come out hence the reference to Casboult, but as stated previously, he is doing everything right in the seconds, so food for thought. Four talls worked out alright yesterday though 🤔 But I get your point.

Cas remains, been outstanding the last 4 weeks.
Goddard would have been a Shoe in otherwise.
Can Jonesy come back as a dominant forward....would love to see that. True competitor is Jonesy!

Official VFL Match Report .. Goal Kickers & Best players...
Northern Blues

Goal Kickers: A. Phillips 3, S. Brazier 2, M. Cottrell 2, J. Palmer 2, P. Kerr, S. Fisher, C. Polson, M. Owies, M. Kennedy
Best Players: H. Goddard, M. Kennedy, J. O''Rourke, A. Fasolo, M. Cottrell, J. Garlett

Goddard.. Very consistent. Played some consistent good games. Keeps putting his hand up & good for depth if any of our defence are injured or lose form.
Kennedy.. A much better game. At least he got his hands dirty 30 disposals. Has to show it at AFL level.
Cottrell.. Looks a likely type, probably his best game for the NB's. Developing along quite nicely.
Fasolo & Garlett ...If they keep presenting in the 2's, they will be considered for promotion

Anyone who attended the game get a look at Coburg player Marcus Lentini. Had close to 30 possessions at half time, and finished up with 43. Sounds like a ball magnet, and done what he liked. Someone who gets it 43 times at VFL level surely must come under consideration to be drafted?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who attended the game get a look at Coburg player Marcus Lentini. Had close to 30 possessions at half time, and finished up with 43. Sounds like a ball magnet, and done what he liked. Someone who gets it 43 times at VFL level surely must come under consideration to be drafted?

I wasn't there today due to my own club commitments but I've seen a bit of him play previously.

Pros: ballwinning & can tag.
Cons: disposal, decision making and limited positional flexibility.

There's a bit to work with but I'd have him behind where Cavarra/Gibbons were at previously.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe so, but it seems a waste to not reward good consistent form. As previously discussed though, Caz has done a great job thus far, he needs to stay for the now.
Most good AFL teams have good consistent players in their VFL side who can't get a game.

It is a good sign we have some now too.

I reckon that's great news. Because from what I've seen this year, he's not going to make it as a small/medium forward.

I think he'd have done quite well with 59 inside 50s and the rapid delivery yesterday.

Much better player than our other supposed small forward options.

I am so happy for Levi, so you're right he should stay in the seniors. As they say, it's a good problem to have. 👍

We seem to have a good strike rate with turning players into decent KPD's.

Liam Jones is now proven. Levi is currently showing his worth and Goddard is now dominating in the VFL.

All three players had been written off prior to their resurgence in defense.

Just shows how far our coaching and development has come since the start of the rebuild. Great work by our club. This sort of development makes me smile just as much as seeing our high draft selections prosper.

If Tom Boyd returned to football, I reckon we could turn him into a dominant KPD. SOS should make a pitch and show him the work we've done with our three big guys in defense.

We seem to have a good strike rate with turning players into decent KPD's.

Liam Jones is now proven. Levi is currently showing his worth and Goddard is now dominating in the VFL.

All three players had been written off prior to their resurgence in defense.

Just shows how far our coaching and development has come since the start of the rebuild. Great work by our club. This sort of development makes me smile just as much as seeing our high draft selections prosper.

If Tom Boyd returned to football, I reckon we could turn him into a dominant KPD. SOS should make a pitch and show him the work we've done with our three big guys in defense.
Its also recruiting. Finding the coaches material to work with.

I think he'd have done quite well with 59 inside 50s and the rapid delivery yesterday.
Much better player than our other supposed small forward options.

Mr_Plow What did you think of Kennedys game?
I ask you any anyone else at the ground to pass on their observations about him specifically.

To me, there was about half an hour where he looked like an AFL quality mid and that was from around the half way of the third to about half way into the fourth. It was only then that his kicks seemed to have penetration, his hand-balls were direct and efficient. He kicked a goal in that time also.

Other than that, I didn't see much to suggest he should be an 'in' for the following week.
What I didn't like was that he seemed to trail off in stoppages. Why's he doing that, if he's being groomed to be support for Cripps?

Mr_Plow What did you think of Kennedys game?
I ask you any anyone else at the ground to pass on their observations about him specifically.

To me, there was about half an hour where he looked like an AFL quality mid and that was from around the half way of the third to about half way into the fourth. It was only then that his kicks seemed to have penetration, his hand-balls were direct and efficient. He kicked a goal in that time also.

Other than that, I didn't see much to suggest he should be an 'in' for the following week.
What I didn't like was that he seemed to trail off in stoppages. Why's he doing that, if he's being groomed to be support for Cripps?

I saw it similarly. He had a solid patch late in the game but was otherwise unspectacular. He got his hands to the football at stoppages, which was a positive, but Coburg's midfield was really undersized.

He still looks really slow up close and one thing I noticed also is that he doesn't really talk to his teammates off the field. Most players, even the younger ones, were strategising amongst each other on the bench, whereas Kennedy would just sit there quietly.

And when he did come to the bench it seemed like he still had petrol in the tank. I don't think he's pushing himself as hard as he should, certainly not to the level that Cripps would.

A decent game overall, but not one that I would reward with selection. Would like to see some more urgency in his game.

I saw it similarly. He had a solid patch late in the game but was otherwise unspectacular. He got his hands to the football at stoppages, which was a positive, but Coburg's midfield was really undersized.

He still looks really slow up close and one thing I noticed also is that he doesn't really talk to his teammates off the field. Most players, even the younger ones, were strategising amongst each other on the bench, whereas Kennedy would just sit there quietly.

And when he did come to the bench it seemed like he still had petrol in the tank. I don't think he's pushing himself as hard as he should, certainly not to the level that Cripps would.

A decent game overall, but not one that I would reward with selection. Would like to see some more urgency in his game.

How was the size of Kennedys opponent in the midfield at times? He was Caleb Daniels height. :)

Interesting observation about Kennedy on the bench and maybe quite meaningful, as it seems to me that Kennedy is somehow on the outer.
He hasn't looked himself and looks to me to not enjoying his football right now. By right now, I mean this year. Something is amiss. I wonder what?

How was the size of Kennedys opponent in the midfield at times? He was Caleb Daniels height. :)

Interesting observation about Kennedy on the bench and maybe quite meaningful, as it seems to me that Kennedy is somehow on the outer.
He hasn't looked himself and looks to me to not enjoying his football right now. By right now, I mean this year. Something is amiss. I wonder what?

I would like to think that it's not because of his supporting tweet for Folau. Mr Plow's above description of him alluded to his being an introvert. Surely this should not effect how he plays his footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back