Matildas The Matildas and the 2019 Women's World Cup Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they got what they deserved.

Sam Kerr barely got out of 2nd gear..... lazy.

Brazil defeat Jamaica 3-0. Hard to choose a favourite for Brazil v Australia.

If it's a draw, we need Brazil to not beat Italy and possibly for us to beat Jamaica by 4.

Almost tournament over already. Brazil is now basically a must win game, as is Jamaica. Assuming Italy beat Jamaica and Brazil beat either us or Italy, we are already up against it. In these 3 game group tournaments points in the first game is absolutely crucial, especially when you give 3/ miss 1-3 against a side expected to finish 2nd-4th in the group.

Basic skill let downs was awful for the goals. Risky pass into a heavy touch caused the first, that's a basic skill error and then how we concede to a last gasp cross Hail Mary ball is just so typically Australian football. 1-0 wasnt enough at half time and in the second half they were all over us, until we decided to attack more in late, but just couldnt crack thr nut. There were some chances that should have been pjt away all game, some open headers too.

Really flat and disappointing.

But 7.5? And the rest of them??

I actually agree with the rating for Ellie. I thought she was very good. I don't agree with the other ratings.

*s sake!

Lose at the world cup to them at the death again. 90+5 just like in 2006

Brazil defeat Jamaica 3-0. Hard to choose a favourite for Brazil v Australia.

If it's a draw, we need Brazil to not beat Italy and possibly for us to beat Jamaica by 4.

Did you watch the game? or anyone watch the Brazil match? was Brazil dominate or was it a case of Jamaica being poor?
I am really worried about our next match against Brazil judging by last night I can't see us getting a result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we have to turn every ******* thread into a culture war issue! FFS -that performance was totally s**t house - missed opportunity with a star studded team - no chance now

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you watch the game? or anyone watch the Brazil match? was Brazil dominate or was it a case of Jamaica being poor?
I am really worried about our next match against Brazil judging by last night I can't see us getting a result.
Going by the highlights Brazil would have scored 4 or 5 more if it weren't for the brilliant job done by the Jamaican keeper

That would be a fine thing to say if the system was proven to work with this team.

Unfortunately for him it hasn't, so to insist he won't change "because we conceded a goal" (to say nothing of all the other chances the Italians or all the teams in previous friendlies have created) is asinine

Do we have to turn every ******* thread into a culture war issue! FFS -that performance was totally **** house - missed opportunity with a star studded team - no chance now

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The post has been deleted

This is a warning, any troll or offensive posts will be deleted, I don't mind some banter but please keep it all relevant to the thread.

The post has been deleted
This is a warning, any troll or offensive posts will be deleted, I don't mind some banter but please keep it all relevant to the thread.

Ok, the words I used were overly provocative. But in the light of widespread criticism of Milicic's coaching it's relevant to revisit the circumstances of the sacking of the previous coach, Alen Stajcic. At the time FFA board member, Heather Reid, alleged

It's a pity that there aren’t more parents and players prepared to speak up about some of his behaviour. If people knew the actual facts, they would be shocked. I can refer you to some people who were involved with the Green and Gold Army who were in Jordan for the Asian Cup and talked to parents and heard their concerns about the welfare of their daughters. And talk to players about their situation in the team.​
if the whole truth could be told, Mr Stajcic would never work again in women’s football.​

As this article in the Age reported,

an FFA board member warned Stajcic that powerful forces within the game wanted him sacked and replaced with a female coach. "They're out to get you," he was told.​
talk of a divided team environment, riddled with cliques, made even more complex by the fact that some players have been in relationships with each other​

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...-plot-to-have-him-sacked-20190122-p50szc.html

Reid has now unreservedly withdrawn those allegations and apologised. Stajcic was one of the most successful coaches in the Matildas history and the FFA has acknowledged there were no behavioural issues. His sacking was purely political.

Ok, the words I used were overly provocative. But in the light of widespread criticism of Milicic's coaching it's relevant to revisit the circumstances of the sacking of the previous coach, Alen Stajcic. At the time FFA board member, Heather Reid, alleged

It's a pity that there aren’t more parents and players prepared to speak up about some of his behaviour. If people knew the actual facts, they would be shocked. I can refer you to some people who were involved with the Green and Gold Army who were in Jordan for the Asian Cup and talked to parents and heard their concerns about the welfare of their daughters. And talk to players about their situation in the team.​
if the whole truth could be told, Mr Stajcic would never work again in women’s football.​

As this article in the Age reported,

an FFA board member warned Stajcic that powerful forces within the game wanted him sacked and replaced with a female coach. "They're out to get you," he was told.​
talk of a divided team environment, riddled with cliques, made even more complex by the fact that some players have been in relationships with each other​

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...-plot-to-have-him-sacked-20190122-p50szc.html

Reid has now unreservedly withdrawn those allegations and apologised. Stajcic was one of the most successful coaches in the Matildas history and the FFA has acknowledged there were no behavioural issues. His sacking was purely political.

By all means critics Millicic but all the political stuff should be posted in The 'Official' Matilda's Thread. This thread is purely about the World Cup. I understand the anger and frustration but we shouldn't resort to any offensive behaviour or language.

Last edited:

Jamaica is an under-rated team - very fast&skilled but bit raw. Would give Australia's High Line defence a real work out because of their sheer speed on the flanks.

As for Brasil- I cannot see the Aussies beating Brasil. If TAB is giving out even-money for Brasil - I recommend jumping in with both your feet. Unfortunately for the Aussies - they needed to win against the low ranking Italians last night.

By all means critics Millicic but all the political stuff should be posted in the 'Official' Matilda's Thread. This thread is purely about the World Cup. I understand the anger and frustration but we shouldn't resort to any offensive behaviour or language.

OK I've moved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back