World Cup Day 11 Australia v India @ The Oval.

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Aussie team is like a puzzle of which pieces dont quite fit
Was reading an article that more or less said the same. Warner's record trumped Khawaja's form, but now there's nowhere suitable for Khawaja to go. Stoinis is horribly out of form and there's no one to replace him. We either drop Stoinis, add a batsman and try to get 10 overs out of Maxwell (dangerous, and still creates an issue in terms of line-up) or drop Stoinis, add a bowler and put a lot of pressure on the top 5 to make runs, or hope that one of NCN, Cummins or Starc comes off. More controversially, drop Warner, promote Khawaja to open and bring in SMarsh, or move Finch to 5 and open with Warner and Khawaja.

A lot of questions.

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would have liked to have seen NCN come in after the first wicket as a pinch hitter to push the RR

Like Shane Warne in the 96 quarter final against NZ. Only got 24 off 14 but provided some momentum. Special knock from Chris Harris that match.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
It has been clear for a very long time that Stoinis was going to be a major problem. Yet he has been deemed undroppable and they didn't even bother looking at alternatives like Mitch Marsh.
Stoinis has been anointed by sk warne

reubski23

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2009
Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tom Brady
I don’t get Stonis he hasn’t impressed me yet some how he is first picked with Starc, Smith and Finch.

Warner has to be dropped that was a deplorable innings. Khawaja to open with Finch and someone to take Stonis’ spot. I’m sick of Warney and his bias impacting selectors decision making.

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've never heard of this before.What is he actually using?
Reusable heat packs.

Not the first time Ive heard of spinners using them to keep their hands warm.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 114
Was reading an article that more or less said the same. Warner's record trumped Khawaja's form, but now there's nowhere suitable for Khawaja to go. Stoinis is horribly out of form and there's no one to replace him. We either drop Stoinis, add a batsman and try to get 10 overs out of Maxwell (dangerous, and still creates an issue in terms of line-up) or drop Stoinis, add a bowler and put a lot of pressure on the top 5 to make runs, or hope that one of NCN, Cummins or Starc comes off. More controversially, drop Warner, promote Khawaja to open and bring in SMarsh, or move Finch to 5 and open with Warner and Khawaja.

A lot of questions.

A bold move like dropping warner could be the catalyst the team needs. And it would be featured heavily in documentaries years to come. like when ritchie benaud told symonds to be there, and he did.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
The game was lost when Steve Smith started blocking balls when theun rate went over ten.It's like he was playing for a close loss.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
A close loss is a better result overall tournament-wise than going hard and getting bowled out for 200.

A lot of questions.

Bit of a house of cards IMO. When it works it looks good, but when one part falters it tends to fall down. One opener scored slowly and that immediately made us shunt our #3 down the order with most of the innings left. Sure if we are 200 off 40 overs and need 150 off the last 10 then send in Maxwell and Coulter-Nile to go the tonk but when there is half the innings left I'd be pretty miffed if I was Khawaja sitting on the pine.

Warner needed to go big early. He's not a Shaun Marsh who will turn 20 off 40 into 80 off 80. He's a guy that will turn 20 off 15 into whatever he turns that into. If he is struggling to hit the boundary early that's unlikely to correct with time at the crease.

I do think we'd look better with Finch opening with one of Warner/Khawaja, Marsh at 3, Smith at 4, Maxwell at 5 and Stoinis at 6.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
It's pretty ridiculous that the way the game is played has changed so TV can have bails with lights in them.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Problem with Shaun Marsh is he has a long track record of not withstanding pressure. He should probably average 50 in test cricket on talent but is extremely mentally fragile.

I like him as a player but the selectors don't owe him anything. World Cup is a differnet kettle of fish from meaningless bilateral odi's, which are glorified trial games.

Problem with Shaun Marsh is he has a long track record of not withstanding pressure. He should probably average 50 in test cricket on talent but is extremely mentally fragile.

I like him as a player but the selectors don't owe him anything. World Cup is a differnet kettle of fish from meaningless bilateral odi's, which are glorified trial games.
Surely he's there to do a job this winter and that's it. I'll be worried if he's still being picked next summer.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Whoever wins this will win the World Cup. I'll pick India although I hope I'm wrong.

We were magnificent against the Windies.
I stand by this. They've been the best side for 2 years, or at least the past one. That series where we came back from 0-2 in India this year to me was bogus. They took their foot off the gas at 2-0 up or they had money on it.

They'll go all the way.

Back