Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really liked Jackson. Looked a real presence in the ruck for a young guy.

Also thought Sharp looked very classy.
We will probably try to turn our first pick into two second rounders, limited picks. Rather Jackson than both Jones,
Meek.
Also does anyone else think that Tabs, Pearce, will have to be better managed, we will need depth?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
We will probably try to turn our first pick into two second rounders, limited picks. Rather Jackson than both Jones,
Meek.
Also does anyone else think that Tabs, Pearce, will have to be better managed, we will need depth?
I think a better move would be to trade next year's first round pick for a pick this year. Try and bring in Serong, Sharp, Jackson and Henry. Trade for players if the deal is decent, but I highly doubt that will be the case for either Kelly or Martin.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think a better move would be to trade next year's first round pick for a pick this year. Try and bring in Serong, Sharp, Jackson and Henry. Trade for players if the deal is decent, but I highly doubt that will be the case for either Kelly or Martin.
Bit worried about Sharp's reported lack of defensive effort. Can't get away with that either in defense or on a wing at AFL level. Mixed reports on his kicking too in terms of accuracy. Also not convinced that Jackson is a need (but would be happy if he slid down the draft).

Serong and Taheny interest me the most of the possibles available to us. I think if we want to keep it local then Robertson or Taylor sound better than Sharp.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Bit worried about Sharp's reported lack of defensive effort. Can't get away with that either in defense or on a wing at AFL level. Mixed reports on his kicking too in terms of accuracy. Also not convinced that Jackson is a need (but would be happy if he slid down the draft).

Serong and Taheny interest me the most of the possibles available to us. I think if we want to keep it local then Robertson or Taylor sound better than Sharp.
I think Robertson and Valente end up competing for the same position.

Regarding Jackson, our current list creates the illusion that we have a heap of rucks, but when I look at it I only see Lobb and Darcy. None of Sandilands, Meek or Jones look viable, and Lobb and Darcy are injured. Two rucks, one of which the club wants to play primarily forward, is not enough. In addition, Jackson potentially has enough versatility to earn a place in the side in addition to Lobb and Darcy.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Robertson and Valente end up competing for the same position.

Regarding Jackson, our current list creates the illusion that we have a heap of rucks, but when I look at it I only see Lobb and Darcy. None of Sandilands, Meek or Jones look viable, and Lobb and Darcy are injured. Two rucks, one of which the club wants to play primarily forward, is not enough. In addition, Jackson potentially has enough versatility to earn a place in the side in addition to Lobb and Darcy.
I don't mind competition for places. Also, Fyfe is 28 this year so when those boys are hitting their straps he will be slowing down/playing more forward. Plus Robertson is a leader and hard worker. You can't have too many of those types.

Jackson I am fine with spending a pick 30+ on, but I wouldn't be interested in anything before that. I also don't think it is fair to judge Meek, as rucks almost always suck before they have had at least 4 yeas in the system. I have no idea how he is rated internally though.

Having said all that, I haven't seen nearly enough of any of them to be sure in my calls. Hoping more of them is broadcast in one way or another.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I don't mind competition for places. Also, Fyfe is 28 this year so when those boys are hitting their straps he will be slowing down/playing more forward. Plus Robertson is a leader and hard worker. You can't have too many of those types.

Jackson I am fine with spending a pick 30+ on, but I wouldn't be interested in anything before that. I also don't think it is fair to judge Meek, as rucks almost always suck before they have had at least 4 yeas in the system. I have no idea how he is rated internally though.

Having said all that, I haven't seen nearly enough of any of them to be sure in my calls. Hoping more of them is broadcast in one way or another.
Always happy to have depth, but prefer to address weak areas of our list if possible. The ability of players like Serong or Flanders to play small forward as well as midfield is something we need. The ability of a player like Sharp to break the lines and deliver into the forward 50 is something we need. Did you watch the game against Vic Metro? Sharp's disposal was terrific.

I really like Robertson and think he is more like Blakely, Cerra, Valente type midfielders who ply their trade at the coalface, but Serong/Flanders will give you that option as well as playing forward. But if the club calls out Robertson's name, I'd be happy to hear it, and think he will play and impact early.

I'm not judging Meek's career, I am judging the availability of our ruck stocks, and seeing a problem which he doesn't fix for us.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Robertson looks physically slow for mine and isn't that big. That wouldn't be a problem in itself with the other features he has but we already have Cerra, Valente (who are bigger size-wise) and North (same size) in that category.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Robertson looks physically slow for mine and isn't that big. That wouldn't be a problem in itself with the other features he has but we already have Cerra, Valente (who are bigger size-wise) and North (same size) in that category.
I think that is what I am indicating. The points of difference aren't really there for me, and I think there are others who do have important points of difference, especially towards improving our forward line. But Robertson had a terrific game.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Always happy to have depth, but prefer to address weak areas of our list if possible. The ability of players like Serong or Flanders to play small forward as well as midfield is something we need. The ability of a player like Sharp to break the lines and deliver into the forward 50 is something we need. Did you watch the game against Vic Metro? Sharp's disposal was terrific.

I really like Robertson and think he is more like Blakely, Cerra, Valente type midfielders who ply their trade at the coalface, but Serong/Flanders will give you that option as well as playing forward. But if the club calls out Robertson's name, I'd be happy to hear it, and think he will play and impact early.

I'm not judging Meek's career, I am judging the availability of our ruck stocks, and seeing a problem which he doesn't fix for us.
I agree you target weaknesses with lower picks, with higher picks you take best available. In any event, our definitive weakness is midfield depth, both inside and out. I'd argue we have developing players for both but we need more quality in both. If Langdon stays, I'd argue our inside stocks are weaker given we'll have Bewley, Sturt, Giro, Henry and Carter all developing as potential outside options. Inside it is really only Mitch, North (who I reckon is gone), Andy, Cez, Banners and Valente. Given you generally carry more inside types in the 22 we need more depth here.

I watched snippets of the game. Haven't had time to watch the whole thing. Have read others reports and I am pretty sure I remember him from last year anyway. He is penetrative but inconsistent. Have heard others say the same. The two Vic half backs sounds better to me if line breaking and forward 50 entries are a priority (Ash and someone else, forget his name).

I am not totally against Sharp, I was impressed by him last year. I am just not sure he is exactly what we need. Looking forward to seeing more vision of him.

I like Serong, no arguments there. I also like Taheny. Hoping to catch the WA v SA game some time this weekend to form a better opinion of some of them.

Regarding ruck stocks: I am not sure how Jackson offers anything over Meek in terms of availability? Can't see him playing too many in his first couple of years either?
Yeah have only seen a little bit of him in that first game. Not prepared to comment on his pace based off that, will need to see more. FTR, don't see North as a roadblock as I reckon he is on the fast track to delisting based on his complete lack of opportunity to date.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think that is what I am indicating. The points of difference aren't really there for me, and I think there are others who do have important points of difference, especially towards improving our forward line. But Robertson had a terrific game.
If he really is slow and not particularly big then he'll be a later pick anyway.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
If he really is slow and not particularly big then he'll be a later pick anyway.
It isn't me commenting especially on him not being big or being slow but I agree with Ysaye suggesting it is a limitation. I think Robertson will be a really good player. But I don't think you have Valente and Robertson in the same side for example. By comparison, Serong is dangerous in the midfield and forward line. Hard at it, skilled and very competitive. More than simply winning the ball, although he does that, you also want it in his hands.

By the way, I think clubs factor in needs pretty much from the start. Just look at Carlton drafting Walsh, a classy midfielder over Lukosius, a KPF last year. No surprise that they badly need mids and are well stocked with KPFs. No club is going to say their player wasn't the best available either. What the are going to say is more or less along the lines of "We really rated him a lot higher, and were surprised when he was available at our pick." There really isn't a definitive player ranking that says Hill is/isn't better than Rich, and going for one over the other is about needs versus best available.

Would be crazy not to factor in needs right from the start.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
It isn't me commenting especially on him not being big or being slow but I agree with Ysaye suggesting it is a limitation. I think Robertson will be a really good player. But I don't think you have Valente and Robertson in the same side for example. By comparison, Serong is dangerous in the midfield and forward line. Hard at it, skilled and very competitive. More than simply winning the ball, although he does that, you also want it in his hands.

By the way, I think clubs draft for needs pretty much from the start. Just look at Carlton drafting Walsh, a classy midfielder over Lukosius, a KPF last year. No surprise that they badly need mids and are well stocked with KPFs. No club is going to say their player wasn't the best available either. What the are going to say is more or less along the lines of "We really rated him a lot higher, and were surprised when he was available at our pick." There really isn't a definitive player ranking that says Hill is/isn't better than Rich, and going for one over the other is about needs versus best available.

Would be crazy not to factor in needs right from the start.
I am not arguing that we completely ignore needs. For example, if best available was a KPF I wouldn't want us to take them this year. That is not what this is though. We are talking all flankers and mids here. We need mids, both in and out, and we need forward flankers too.

I also don't think Robertson vs Serong is a good comparison as it seems they could be as much as 40 picks apart. We should be comparing players in the 5-15 range with each other because that is likely where our first will be. Even if they were close in projected range, we still need inside mids so I don't think you can make an argument that taking inside mid over a forward/mid doesn't fit needs, since we need both.

Walsh vs Lukosius is probably not a good example either, since you can easily make an argument that Walsh is a better prospect. It is likely they would have prioritised mids over KPP I agree, but a mid vs KPF is not the same comparison as mid vs mid/forward.

To be clear, I think Robertson would more likely be in our 2nd round or later (if we acquire picks). Serong is clearly going first round and could be very early. In fact, I doubt he will last to our current 1st as it stands.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
To be clear, I think Robertson would more likely be in our 2nd round or later (if we acquire picks). Serong is clearly going first round and could be very early. In fact, I doubt he will last to our current 1st as it stands.
Serong may not last, but the draft is rich with midfielders who can impact forward. Flanders and Taheny as other examples previously mentioned, and I wonder where Elijah Taylor may be seen by the end of the championships.

Plus we saw the journey that picks can go through with the changes to trading and live trading; what Freo did to draft Valente a good example. Makes the mock draft projections even more speculative.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Serong may not last, but the draft is rich with midfielders who can impact forward. Flanders and Taheny as other examples previously mentioned, and I wonder where Elijah Taylor may be seen by the end of the championships.

Plus we saw the journey that picks can go through with the changes to trading and live trading; what Freo did to draft Valente a good example. Makes the mock draft projections even more speculative.
I need to pay more attention to Taylor. Hadn't really heard of him 2 weeks ago.

Draft order definitely changes but can't see Serong slipping far enough to be in the range or Robertson (unless he is being underrated).

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle

Serong: oh good another midget! 178cm

Robertson: a Priddis clone but better skills, and better kick to handball ratio!

Look at our inside mids: Fyfe, Mundy... errr would the next inside mid please step forward.

UYD 4 Life

All Australian
Nov 27, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Serong: oh good another midget! 178cm

Robertson: a Priddis clone but better skills, and better kick to handball ratio!

Look at our inside mids: Fyfe, Mundy... errr would the next inside mid please step forward.

Conca, Blakely, Brayshaw, Cerra, Banfield, Crowden, Valente, North and I'd add bennell, hill and walters as players who would do a fair bit of inside work when fit and in form

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
Conca, Blakely, Brayshaw, Cerra, Banfield, Crowden, Valente, North and I'd add bennell, hill and walters as players who would do a fair bit of inside work when fit and in form

I’m not talking about those that can fill in, I’m looking for a BULL.

This year the clearances are as follows

Mundy 30
Fyfe 27
Walters 15
Conca 13
Lobb 12

Rest is blue sky.

Stats stats and more damn stats just pointed out the obvious, we rely on too few in the inside clearances.

Valente I would love to see out there doing his thing, North we are yet to see, Blakey still seems to be playing mainly back flank.

Leading clearance masters in the league

Cripps 41
Cunnington 40
Neale 35
T Kelly 31
Martin31
Mundy 30

The NGA seems to be providing Freo running outside or small forward options. No BULLS on the horizon in our NGA crop

Back