Prediction How Long Will JENKINS Remain Dropped?

Dec 14, 2002
who cares
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
We’ve dropped JJ, Gibbs and Mackay this year. Things are looking more different this year compared with recent years.
Plus in years gone by we bring Sauce back in after his game in the SANFL kicking 5 goals but we didn’t. We dropped Hartigan for Melbourne game due to match ups, something we have not done in Pyke’s time here.

Unfortunately, people here are close minded in their opinion. They have their views and will not change those regardless if the obvious is staring them in the face because of course they are always right. They question why player X is brought in and player Y was dropped for him without trying to see and understand the roles that players play. Douglas’s role is very different to Hugh’s (and I am biggest Hugh fan going around), they are different types of players who bring different aspects of footy to the table. After our shithouse defensive performance over the last few weeks, especially against Melbourne, Douglas back in would not have been a surprise to anyone who is paying attention. He is arguably our best two way player. If Gibbs is getting dropped for his defensive side of his game, Douglas is one player who always brings that, even when he is not getting a kick. Different players, different roles but players like Douglas, JJ, Sauce, Mackay, Tex, even Talia have had their cards stamped already by some. Just like Brown had his a couple or so years ago.

Defensively, the GWS game is best we have looked in weeks (other than that patch where GWS got on top) and this is the aspect of the game we have to improve in a great deal if we are to do anything meaningful this year.

Crow Envy

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I agree.

I suspect when Jenkins first got dropped he believed it would be a token one game in the SANFL. He most probably thought that all he needed to do was show up, put in a token effort and he would be straight back in the next week. It seems like it took a few weeks for the penny to drop that this wasn't going to happen.

Hopefully getting dropped was a reality check for him and he realised that his spot in the side isn't as safe as he thought it was.
He seems determined and when he does something well he comes across very pumped.

Crow Envy

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
There is no doubt we’ve changed our philosophy a bit, but our results warranted it.

Jenkins dropped for a number of games.
Jacobs not back in on his second game.
Gibbs
Mackay dropped

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened had ROB had a quiet game, I suspect Jacobs would have played against Richmond. However that is no longer a possibility.

Douglas will be the next test, really after the weekend he shouldn’t hold his spot.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
There is no doubt we’ve changed our philosophy a bit, but our results warranted it.

Jenkins dropped for a number of games.
Jacobs not back in on his second game.
Gibbs
Mackay dropped

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened had ROB had a quiet game, I suspect Jacobs would have played against Richmond. However that is no longer a possibility.

Douglas will be the next test, really after the weekend he shouldn’t hold his spot.
Gooch and tex have played numerous bad games and were kept in

1st game back in the big league for douglas he will be given time to settle in as was geeenwood poor but again must stay in

Although saying that someone must make room for lynch

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz

1st game back in the big league for douglas he will be given time to settle in as was geeenwood poor but again must stay in

I think it's unfair to put Gallucci in that group.

He is a developing player and is a player who's development will benefit from regular selection.

If he is to develop into the player we're hoping for then he needs to continue getting senior games invested into him.

Crow Envy

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

Tex has played enough good games to justify his selection and he’s the Captain.

Gallucci they have persisted with and as a young player that’s what you need to do and on the weekend we saw the benefits.

Douglas is at the end of his playing career and not playing in his position. He’s not quick enough to apply forward defensive pressure and he’s not a goal kicker. He’s not a forward but we are trying to create a spot for him. We saw on Saturday night that he has lost his touch.

Or to put it another way, we don’t need 2019 Douglas, we have other options that can not only help in 2019 but we’d be better for it in 2020.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think it's unfair to put Gallucci in that group.

He is a developing player and is a player who's development will benefit from regular selection.

If he is to develop into the player we're hoping for then he needs to continue getting senior games invested into him.

Im not saying and wasn't saying drop tex or Gooch

As other posters have pointed out McHenry had a poor game in the two's but that shouldn't discount him from promotion, but Douglas can be afforded a poor game as should greenwood in the ones, he played a blinder in the twos last week and needed to adjust, if he cant then drop him or greenwood. But time is given as it was for gooch and tex and atkins and harto and betts and talia, and greenwood, the list goes on

There is only one player outside of the current 22 thats a walk up start, which is Lynch the other is Gibbs that should be a walk up start but needs to prove it and it appears he is

Douglas should remain as should murphy and gooch and greenwood

But those two I mentioned will and should displace people

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't bet, so no.

I know you have this weird theory that Pyke is NC and we value this and that, it's been disproved but you stick with it.

If he performs like he did Saturday he will be dropped absolutely no question

It hasn’t been disproven at all. Pyke spent half his AFL level coaching career under NC prior to getting a senior gig. It’s natural that he has some philosophies in common with Neil. Plus, he’s not the only coach with exposure to Neil in our coaching team. We’ve 2 others that carry forward Neil philosophies with them. Dougie being rushed in completely underdone is not a good sign that we’ve shed our past experience/continuity habits.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
It hasn’t been disproven at all. Pyke spent half his AFL level coaching career under NC prior to getting a senior gig. It’s natural that he has some philosophies in common with Neil. Plus, he’s not the only coach with exposure to Neil in our coaching team. We’ve 2 others that carry forward Neil philosophies with them. Dougie being rushed in completely underdone is not a good sign that we’ve shed our past experience/continuity habits.
Or you could look at like the MC rolled the dice with a player who'd been training well and put in a great performance the previous week in the SANFL

How often did Craig change his game plan?

Less than Pyke has this year alone...

Some coaches adapt, others don't.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Plus in years gone by we bring Sauce back in after his game in the SANFL kicking 5 goals but we didn’t. We dropped Hartigan for Melbourne game due to match ups, something we have not done in Pyke’s time here.

Unfortunately, people here are close minded in their opinion. They have their views and will not change those regardless if the obvious is staring them in the face because of course they are always right. They question why player X is brought in and player Y was dropped for him without trying to see and understand the roles that players play. Douglas’s role is very different to Hugh’s (and I am biggest Hugh fan going around), they are different types of players who bring different aspects of footy to the table. After our ********* defensive performance over the last few weeks, especially against Melbourne, Douglas back in would not have been a surprise to anyone who is paying attention. He is arguably our best two way player. If Gibbs is getting dropped for his defensive side of his game, Douglas is one player who always brings that, even when he is not getting a kick. Different players, different roles but players like Douglas, JJ, Sauce, Mackay, Tex, even Talia have had their cards stamped already by some. Just like Brown had his a couple or so years ago.

Defensively, the GWS game is best we have looked in weeks (other than that patch where GWS got on top) and this is the aspect of the game we have to improve in a great deal if we are to do anything meaningful this year.

But the defender that we brought in was Mackay. That’s not a match up decision to be proud about. Hartigan is a better defender than Mackay regardless of the size of the opponent. If we’d brought in an actual defender then I’d agree, but reverting back to Mackay was just more of the same. Douglas is our best nothing, you’re full of excrement there and are proving to be a selection apologist by saying it.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Douglas wasn't rushed in, he had 2 games with a week off in between, the 2nd of which he was clear BOG.

You said Sauce would be straight in, he wasn't. You said JJ would be straight back in, he wasn't. Mackay has been dropped too.

Add to that a completely different gameplan being developed..... and yep your theory is done and dusted. It's actually funny, you seem oblivious to the fact you're far more stubborn than those you discuss.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Right now if EH got injured or went shocking enough to get dropped, you’d go to Fog to replace him and make do with the second ruck role. You’d not consider JJ at all, he’s completely lost his way at the moment.

Glad they didn't go with your opinion, last 3 would have been three loses with out Big JJ, I bet your hoping like me its not a bad injury

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glad they didn't go with your opinion, last 3 would have been three loses with out Big JJ, I bet your hoping like me its not a bad injury

The key points the post that you bumped was "right now" and "at the moment"

That post was made about 7 weeks ago and was 100% on the money at that time.

Back 7 weeks ago there was no way that Jenkins had earned or deserved his spot in the side and wouldn't have deserved a recall if Himmelberg suffered an injury.

It took some solid consistant SANFL football for him to find some form to get himself back into the side.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The key points the post that you bumped was "right now" and "at the moment"

That post was made about 7 weeks ago and was 100% on the money at that time.

Back 7 weeks ago there was no way that Jenkins had earned or deserved his spot in the side and wouldn't have deserved a recall if Himmelberg suffered an injury.

It took some solid consistant SANFL football for him to find some form to get himself back into the side.

There were posters saying he should never ever be picked again,

He played one decent game in the SANFL, are you serious, saying it was solid consistent footy, tell me you are just taking the P?

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
There were posters saying he should never ever be picked again,

He played one decent game in the SANFL, are you serious, saying it was solid consistent footy, tell me you are just taking the P?

He first game was poor, he played reasonably well against Centrals and then had the really good game against Port.

The Crows could have easily just pulled a Crows special and rushed him back after the Centrals game, but they resisted and made him show that he had actually found some form before bringing him back in.

He first game was poor, he played reasonably well against Centrals and then had the really good game against Port.

The Crows could have easily just pulled a Crows special and rushed him back after the Centrals game, but they resisted and made him show that he had actually found some form before bringing him back in.

Credit where it's due, the selectors have managed him pretty well.

It's not really possible to look at these sorts of things after three weeks and say people were wrong for wanting particularly talented young players prioritised. It's a long term question.

If we won the flag? Sure. Right move. If we end up finishing between 5th and 8th, with a straight sets finals elimination, but we've wasted the opportunity to develop guys like Fog and Himmelberg in earnest? Not sure that's a vindication.

If one of them cracks the shits at the lack of opportunity and leaves?

Unfortunately, people here are close minded in their opinion. They have their views and will not change those regardless if the obvious is staring them in the face because of course they are always right. They question why player X is brought in and player Y was dropped for him without trying to see and understand the roles that players play. Douglas’s role is very different to Hugh’s (and I am biggest Hugh fan going around), they are different types of players who bring different aspects of footy to the table. After our ****house defensive performance over the last few weeks, especially against Melbourne, Douglas back in would not have been a surprise to anyone who is paying attention. He is arguably our best two way player. If Gibbs is getting dropped for his defensive side of his game, Douglas is one player who always brings that, even when he is not getting a kick. Different players, different roles but players like Douglas, JJ, Sauce, Mackay, Tex, even Talia have had their cards stamped already by some. Just like Brown had his a couple or so years ago.

I don't buy the claim that Douglas brings an exceptional defensive game. He's often gotten around quite easily, and he doesnt have the pace any more to catch people. He's not a prolific tackler, or pressurer. For instance, Hugh had 8 tackles this week to his three.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I don't buy the claim that Douglas brings an exceptional defensive game. He's often gotten around quite easily, and he doesnt have the pace any more to catch people. He's not a prolific tackler, or pressurer. For instance, Hugh had 8 tackles this week to his three.
Use another area to criticise Douglas for last night game, he was the leading Crow in Pressure acts, with 27,
His Presure game is one of his strengths,
The issue I have is he does not get his hands on the ball enough consistently. And he can get the fumbles at times and slows the playdown, but his pressure is why he will be playing against Geelong.
Also, Hugh had 25 pressure acts.

Back