Injuries 2019

Galvo

Senior List
Feb 11, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Geez, cop the hand wringing in this thread.: We must be the only club in the country that has more than 3 ruckmen on their list that could run out in an AFL game and not disgrace themselves, and people are declaring season over as we are onto number 3. It will be season over when we start losing onballers and important outside mids, for the moment it's manageable.
I still don’t think it’s season over but we’re onto our 5th choice ruckman not 3rd

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
This is definitely a speed hump. Lobb has had a great impact, and without him there are games we probably would have lost. A serious challenge, coming right after he had an outstanding game against Grundy.

I am thinking we can use it to advantage though, and hope that is the way it is approached. We are still in development mode and have players on our list who need to be looked at. Ask some questions about some other players capacity to stand up. Find a way to win some games.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
One thing's for sure, the problem is definitely not with our medical and conditioning staff, nosiree. They are the best in the world and it's just the longest streak in bad luck in history that's seen us have one of the longest injury lists in the league for 10 straight years. Sign them all up on 10 year contracts before someone else snaps them up.

Yep. A thorough review is well and truly overdue.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
If there is any connection between the two clubs foot and lower leg injury spate (and it very much could still just be luck) and hard surfaces logically it's the training tracks that are the issue. They spend immeasurably more time on them than on Optus.
I'd go step further and say its overtraining* that's the real issue and the dry weather leading to compacted surfaces is lowering the threshold they were all up near anyway.

*League wide problem.

cardamon

Senior List
Apr 15, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
If there is any connection between the two clubs foot and lower leg injury spate (and it very much could still just be luck) and hard surfaces logically it's the training tracks that are the issue. They spend immeasurably more time on them than on Optus.
I'd go step further and say its overtraining* that's the real issue and the dry weather leading to compacted surfaces is lowering the threshold they were all up near anyway.

*League wide problem.

The harder you train, the harder and better you have to recover, and i think that in a time-constrained and results-based industry the clubs find it way easier to increase training loads by 10% than to somehow... increase recovery 10%? So many factors go into recovery that any tools they have at their disposal have a marginal effect.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe they sent the whole squad for scans and his was picked up early.
While I'm hoping they've sent the whole squad for MRI's, if Lobb's injury was picked up early it should have been 6 - 8 weeks. He looked like he had a sore foot after the Brisbane game, so if properly managed he should have had a MRI then. Did he?

Hogan has been hobbling for weeks and last few trainings come out late, so I hope that doesn't mean he's getting injections and not MRI's? He seems OK in the training and games (we don't know if he's getting intervention) but can't accelerate, change direction or jump.

Pierce had a sore ankle for a few weeks and then it became extremely sore and needed attention after the first quarter in the game it broke. Did he have a MRI a few weeks ago when he is saying it was first sore?

Taberner's injury was MRI'd the minute he felt something sore and an initial scan didn't find anything. Then what should have been a 8 or 10 week injury was season ending for him. Possibly he could be fine in 6 weeks, but it's a little convenient he went onto the long term injured list just in time for us to get a mid season draft pick. But he can't come off the long term injured list even if his foot heals.

In the pressor after the Tab injury RTB made it very clear it was Webber's responsibility (naming him specifically) for detecting and giving timetables for injury recovery. Fair enough. RTB also said the club were looking into everything that could be contributing to the injury like playing surfaces, boots, mechanics of running which also is responsible as it's most likely a combination.

With the increased amount of running all players are now required to do for most game plans, and the training clubs require over 100kg players must be at risk. Boots are not usually made for running and must have enough support. Hard playing surfaces add to the lower leg stress. While training grounds have to be looked at RTB said they have complete control over Cockburn so playing every second week at Optus has to be a factor. The mechanics of how some players run can also contribute to stress fractures of the foot.

While everything RTB said is good management in trying to find the causes of these injuries, the way the injuries have occurred and their management doesn't seem right.

Silver linking is Harley should get a start as a forward! Darcy, Logue and Nyhuis should be looked at and we have Jones and Dixon if needed. All should be really hungry to do well and keep the momentum going.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
But he can't come off the long term injured list even if his foot heals.

Yes Tabs can come off the LTI list if he recovers prior to the end of the season. We just need to replace him with another long term injury - Pearce and/or Giro for example.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Would like to think the club has a Podiatrist on the payroll the right boots and orthotic / cushioned inserts can go a long way to preventing foot injuries
Especially with the dubious Optus surface

Think they do. I remember them advertising the position a couple of years ago.

Yes Tabs can come off the LTI list if he recovers prior to the end of the season. We just need to replace him with another long term injury - Pearce and/or Giro for example.

Actually we don't unless O'Rielly is getting a game at that point. Nonetheless there will be at least one LTI spot for Giro's knee so Tabs can come back and O'Rielly play too. Having said that, I don't think Tabs makes it back this season.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Started researching the injury stats for these 4 years, then realized I didn't need to convince anyone otherwise.

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2013-08-20/injury-list-round-22
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-injury-list-after-round-15-20150714-gica2c.html

We had maybe 2 best 22 people on our injury list at the end of 2013. Hardly ruinous. Where was your research coming from?

We had a bad injury list in 2011. Yes we had some bad luck with injuries at the wrong time but we didn't have 5-6 best 22 players on the list like other teams.

2012->2015 were good years for injuries.

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2013-08-20/injury-list-round-22
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-injury-list-after-round-15-20150714-gica2c.html

We had maybe 2 best 22 people on our injury list at the end of 2013. Hardly ruinous. Where was your research coming from?

We had a bad injury list in 2011. Yes we had some bad luck with injuries at the wrong time but we didn't have 5-6 best 22 players on the list like other teams.

2012->2015 were good years for injuries.
Those were the years Pav missed half the season then nearly won the Coleman medal, but not all Australian because it wasn't a full year.

Sandi didn't play a game before round 15 in 2013, McPharlin didn't play between round 15 and the finals - only 13 games the following year.

2012 also had Fyfe play four of the first five then not until round 18

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Is Sean Darcy still injured?

Don’t think he did. He’s not played since coming off against CLAREMONT iirc

That's right, missed game against Subi two weekends ago and Peel had a bye weekend gone. Freo said that he had made a good recovery from what looked like a a few weeks was downgraded to 2 (basically).

EDIT: Yeah, what Salim said, training with main group - so good to go, well, as good as he was before the ankle sprain.

Though he's physically up for it (it seems), he's not going to offer anything like the form Lobb was in, especially around the ground and up fwd.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's right, missed game against Subi two weekends ago and Peel had a bye weekend gone. Freo said that he had made a good recovery from what looked like a a few weeks was downgraded to 2 (basically).

EDIT: Yeah, what Salim said, training with main group - so good to go, well, as good as he was before the ankle sprain.

Though he's physically up for it (it seems), he's not going to offer anything like the form Lobb was in, especially around the ground and up fwd.

Lobb has been in form for what, two games? He was poor against Richmond and Adelaide, and even against Brissie got beaten in the ruck from what I saw but had a great last quarter around the ground. We really are not going to lose as much by swapping Darcy in as first ruck as people think is my prediction.
What ticks me off is not getting to see Lobb in the position he actually seems best for - as forward/second ruck. That would be a huge upgrade on Cox.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Lobb has been in form for what, two games? He was poor against Richmond and Adelaide, and even against Brissie got beaten in the ruck from what I saw but had a great last quarter around the ground. We really are not going to lose as much by swapping Darcy in as first ruck as people think is my prediction.
What ticks me off is not getting to see Lobb in the position he actually seems best for - as forward/second ruck. That would be a huge upgrade on Cox.

Disagree slightly - I think you're right in terms of ruck contest themselves, in fact we might actually gain a bit in the ruck duels themselves. But in general play, Lobb has been pretty good for a number of weeks. And even if we concede he's been beaten in all facets, I can't see Darcy doing better ... hopefully I'm totally wrong on that too BTW, just my thoughts.

Either way, this is what Darcy is here for, he's the definitive No. 1 in waiting.

And yes, couldn't agree more - the more annoying thing is that we aren't going to see Lobb and Darcy on the field at the same time. With Cox in average form (being kind?) and Tabbs out, odds of that being a reality were pretty good until the Lobb injury.

Back