Autopsy Swans vs. Eagles - Rd 12, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Florent is slept on !?? LOL He's one of the most over rated players in Swans history !
He's reached average in the AFL with games like this - which is over his level the last 12 months.
Can we wait till he actually goes past average for a few games before we hang a brownlow on his neck?
Agree the stats don't lie when it comes to his foot skills or lack therof.

Almost 37k a clear sign that people prefer Afternoon games to night.
Especially amongst families (saw way more of them than I have for the night games)

So few replies in probably our best win for a long time when our losses have 20+ pages FTL.

Get real
Menzel is irrelevant to the swans and is only taking up opportunities from younger players who could use the experience. That he was included ahead of rose was a disgraceful decision and one of the reasons I am happy for horse to go to north.
Get real
Buddy.. We didnt recruit Menzel for nothing! He needs games under his belt, just like younger players.

Especially amongst families (saw way more of them than I have for the night games)

So few replies in probably our best win for a long time when our losses have 20+ pages FTL.
Unbelievable isn't it? It looks like we're only interested if we've got something to whinge about... o_O:rolleyes:

That's a great, great win. Completely dominant throughout the game, other than a 10 minute burst in the first quarter. This period of growth in our team is really fun to watch. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Aliir is a brick wall at the moment. He's become a very well-rounded defender and is starting to add more attacking dare to his game.

One of Florent's best games for the year for sure. He held his width brilliantly and was a constant releasing player for Hewett, Parker and co. to find and then release inside 50.

Franklin and Papley were just dominant. Made light work of the Eagles' zoning, finding space easily. We've got a really talented group of forwards around these guys now. Very exciting.

Menzel struggled to get into it for long parts of the day but I just can't help but want him in the side. His classy and quick disposal could be come really valuable with more time around our forwards. His little touches in the 2nd half were really smooth. He, Bud and Papley I can see working very, very well together. Plus he was working really hard defensively and offensively today. A lot of chasing and unrewarded running.

Sinclair played a good game. It's telling that his really good games come against the likes of Vardy, Hickey etc. but you can only admire his work ethic and relentless nature. We need a better number one ruck, but I love Sinclair nevertheless.

Hewett sensational again. Parker continued his excellent form. He's playing as a midfielder only and is doing a brilliant job of leading the young brigade. You can see how he's grown into the role of captaincy, he relishes it. Rampe also relishes it. I love how he encourages others constantly. I'd love to play footy with him.

McVeigh was looking really good in the midfield until his injury. Sad to see him go down again. I'm sure he'll get back before the year is out given how hard he works on rehab. Deserves a farewell game at the SCG. Sad to see Thurlow and O'Riordan go down too, both had started the game well and I hope they can get up for the Hawks after the bye.

Melican did OK in his one-on-ones on Darling. Didn't have to do heaps, but a better showing this week. His first quarter with ball in hand was really bad, but I'd keep backing him I think.

Liked Rose's effort and you can see his skill and ability to play seniors. I really like that the coaches put him in the guts of the midfield in the 2nd half too. That's how we'll know if he can prolong his career with us, throw him in the deep end to see if he sinks or floats. I liked what he did.

Probably our best win over the last two seasons imo. Really joyous to watch them play so well and it's exciting for the future.
There's literally not a word of this I don't agree with and precious little I'd want to add. Well said!

Almost 37k a clear sign that people prefer Afternoon games to night.
Club did a fair bit of pre work for this game. Also very prominent in advertising kick to kick was on certainly helps.

All we needed to finish it off to get the crowd was good weather after a shite week and Sydney turned on a ripper. Footy gods smiling.

In addition, was important we got the win, kids like to see their heroes turn it on and the boys certainly did that.

Important result all round for the club I feel.

Florent is slept on !?? LOL He's one of the most over rated players in Swans history !
He's reached average in the AFL with games like this - which is over his level the last 12 months.
Can we wait till he actually goes past average for a few games before we hang a brownlow on his neck?

Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad, both deserved 1 week

Willie Rioli, West Coast Eagles has been charged with engaging in Rough Conduct (DangerousTackle) against Colin O’Riordan, Sydney Swans during the second quarter of the Round 12 match between the Sydney Swans and the West Coast Eagles, played at the SCG on Sunday June 9.

In summary he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Medium Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction.

Nathan Vardy, West Coast Eagles has been charged with engaging in Rough Conduct against Jackson Thurlow, Sydney Swans during the second quarter of the Round 12 match between the Sydney Swans and the West Coast Eagles, played at the SCG on Sunday June 9.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Medium Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a one-match sanction.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-10/match-review-officers-statement-round-12-part-two

Well I am happy about both charges. I do not think either was malicious, but the Rioli heave into the ground warranted a sanction.

Frankly I am sick of our blokes copping it, often without frees or subsequent sanction. Of course the Weasels will appeal but this time at least Oppo players were charged.

Here goes:

Menzel: slick delivery by hand and foot. Covered a fair bit of ground. Deserves another go next week for sure.

Rose: much more serviceable than the other experiments this year (Mc and Row). Also deserves another go next week

Lloyd: Rarely gets enough penetration on kick outs and generally. Compare him to Jetta and it says it all. Not all his fault. I think the set ups in the D50 on kick outs could be more clever. Everyone is so static.

COR: got lumped with Ryan and didn’t stick with him. Got pantsed before he got knocked senseless. Bad day for Colin.

Clarke: did the job. Serviceable. Actually did hit the side of a barn a few times. Frees up Hewett to cause havoc, so I think his role works in the current set up.

Florent: helps to move the ball through the middle. Not setting the world on fire.

Blakey: can’t get near the pill often but when he does, he is elite for a cold blooded reptile with no shoulders. Excitement machine.

Buddy: Mark Twain said it all.

Reid: Did what he is paid to do. At last we are seeing some real ROI. He was very good in all facets.

Mexican: Really bloody average. His mates mopped up a lot of bloopers yesterday. Needs to improve. I still think he is well worth persisting with. Remember how bad LRT and Leo Barry were in their first year or so at the club?

Ramps: elite

McVeigh: Still a class act. Gets exposed on large grounds.

Papley: Absolutely outstanding to say the least. More please!

Hewett: rapidly becoming my favourite Swans player

Parker: Hitting his stride. Seriously makes me question the conditioning and pre season prep. The swans were miles off the pace in weeks 1-6 and we’re fading in q4s. Not good enough!!

Sinclair: Totally banged up.

Dawson: should be persisted with, no doubt

McCartin: did Ok

Overall, we saw the forwards lead in a coordinated way and give each other space and support. The half back line looked sketchy when trying to mount a rebound 50, but really strung together some great passages through the middle of the ground. Very exiting to watch. We looked to be getting the ball out of the stoppages much more easily. I’m yet to look at how, but if this was a coaching change, it certainly made the difference. Anyone have any views as to how they got the ball to outside runners so successfully yesterday?

Glad, both deserved 1 week

Willie Rioli, West Coast Eagles has been charged with engaging in Rough Conduct (DangerousTackle) against Colin O’Riordan, Sydney Swans during the second quarter of the Round 12 match between the Sydney Swans and the West Coast Eagles, played at the SCG on Sunday June 9.

Nathan Vardy, West Coast Eagles has been charged with engaging in Rough Conduct against Jackson Thurlow, Sydney Swans during the second quarter of the Round 12 match between the Sydney Swans and the West Coast Eagles, played at the SCG on Sunday June 9.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-10/match-review-officers-statement-round-12-part-two
Lucky they didn't cost us the match wiping out our bench.

You can see the class of Menzel. He's a straight up natural footy player. I'd keep putting more game time into him and he'll be a weapon for us still. Looked to be working hard in defence as well.

Last edited:
Here goes:

Menzel: slick delivery by hand and foot. Covered a fair bit of ground. Deserves another go next week for sure.

Rose: much more serviceable than the other experiments this year (Mc and Row). Also deserves another go next week

Lloyd: Rarely gets enough penetration on kick outs and generally. Compare him to Jetta and it says it all. Not all his fault. I think the set ups in the D50 on kick outs could be more clever. Everyone is so static.

COR: got lumped with Ryan and didn’t stick with him. Got pantsed before he got knocked senseless. Bad day for Colin.

Clarke: did the job. Serviceable. Actually did hit the side of a barn a few times. Frees up Hewett to cause havoc, so I think his role works in the current set up.

Florent: helps to move the ball through the middle. Not setting the world on fire.

Blakey: can’t get near the pill often but when he does, he is elite for a cold blooded reptile with no shoulders. Excitement machine.

Buddy: Mark Twain said it all.

Reid: Did what he is paid to do. At last we are seeing some real ROI. He was very good in all facets.

Mexican: Really bloody average. His mates mopped up a lot of bloopers yesterday. Needs to improve. I still think he is well worth persisting with. Remember how bad LRT and Leo Barry were in their first year or so at the club?

Ramps: elite

McVeigh: Still a class act. Gets exposed on large grounds.

Papley: Absolutely outstanding to say the least. More please!

Hewett: rapidly becoming my favourite Swans player

Parker: Hitting his stride. Seriously makes me question the conditioning and pre season prep. The swans were miles off the pace in weeks 1-6 and we’re fading in q4s. Not good enough!!

Sinclair: Totally banged up.

Dawson: should be persisted with, no doubt

McCartin: did Ok

Overall, we saw the forwards lead in a coordinated way and give each other space and support. The half back line looked sketchy when trying to mount a rebound 50, but really strung together some great passages through the middle of the ground. Very exiting to watch. We looked to be getting the ball out of the stoppages much more easily. I’m yet to look at how, but if this was a coaching change, it certainly made the difference. Anyone have any views as to how they got the ball to outside runners so successfully yesterday?
Our exits from the centre square yesterday were different. In past weeks our wings ran into the contest and we shot the ball out the back to someone who was wheeling around the back of the pack. The kick then would often go wide to a leading forward.
Yesterday, Florent stayed wide on the wing and we got the ball to him at every clearance. This meant that the ball went sideways instead of backwards and he didn't have to try to pick his way through a host of midfielders before he got his kick away.
However, how we were able to get our hands on the ball first at the centre clearances is beyond me. I was waiting for the appearance of the four horses of the apocalypse as well.

You can see the class of Menzel. He's a straight up natural footy player. I'd keep putting more game time into him and he'll be a weapon foir us still. Looked to be working hard in defence as well.
I loved Menzel's pass across to Franklin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back