People getting offended about people getting offended can melt here

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Mm, depends. More broadly - and shifting away from the original point, granted - it reminds me a lot of those who get *very* heated under the collar about "snowflakes".

Absolutely, there's obsessively over-the-top anti-SJWs too. And they can be awful as well. Don't think that makes any difference to my overall contention though.

I'm left-wing myself btw. I just tend to criticise my own side quite a bit lately as I find certain aspects of the modern left frustrating. I disagree with the right on most major issues but some of their criticisms of the left are accurate.

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
As in, the phrase "people getting offended about people getting offended" attempts to suggest there is something inherently ironic or contradictory about complaining about excessive offense-taking. To me the supposed irony being alluded to by the phrase is quite obviously non-existent. It's just glib wordplay masquerading as a serious point.

I assume you disagree so I guess we'll just have to agree to differ there.

No, no, I was ironically questioning whether your post (no.44) was itself an example of pseudo-irony.

Anyway, there's nothing pseudo about the irony on display in this thread. Mainly, posters are offended at not being able to cause others offence, and alternatively, offended that the AFL is concerned with people being offended. The irony gets thicker with the resultant victim narrative about the Left taking away 'free speech' (which is then discussed freely on the internet, or freely anywhere one likes really.)

Lisa Simpson offers excellent counsel in dealing with this culture of outrage, which is common today at either end of the political spectrum:

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
No, no, I was ironically questioning whether your post (no.44) was itself an example of pseudo-irony.

Anyway, there's nothing pseudo about the irony on display in this thread. Mainly, posters are offended at not being able to cause others offence, and alternatively, offended that the AFL is concerned with people being offended. The irony gets thicker with the resultant victim narrative about the Left taking away 'free speech' (which is then discussed freely on the internet, or freely anywhere one likes really.)

Again, this is all just inane wordplay used to create a pointless logical paradox. It's not a valid argument. If you think there isn't a culture of excessive offense-taking on the left, then fine, that's an assertion one can reasonably make, even though it's one I disagree with, but the whole "you're offended about being offended" thing is just without merit as a line of argument.

But anyway. I can't be bothered pursuing this any further. I'm sure you probably feel likewise and are bored of my s**t. Still, feel free to have the last word on this, preferably in the form of some kind of snarky one-liner at my expense. The floor is yours. :p

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Amazing that people continue to trot this out. 65% of Australia's media is owned by News Corp., which is decidedly right wing and campaigns heavily for against the Left. Much the the same holds in the UK. Fox news is the most watched network in the US.

Reality doesn't confer with your opinion.

Channel 7, Channel 9 and Channel 10 are the major media outlets in Australia.

None are owned by News Corp.

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
. If you think there isn't a culture of excessive offense-taking on the left, then fine

I didn't say that.

I said that there is a culture of offense-taking across the political spectrum, in both the Left and Right, and that in each case it is 'often lamentable'. Both the alt-Right and what people today call 'the Left' trade on victimhood in their own ways, in fact a 'competitive victimhood' has even emerged between them. I'm hardly the first person to make this observation.

Again, this is all just inane wordplay used to create a pointless logical paradox. It's not a valid argument.

I don't view my post (#54) as paradoxical or reliant on wordplay. It makes a basic argument about how this thread constitutes its own type of offence-taking, why that is ironic, and how it might be part of a wider political pattern (see my statement above).

But yes, let's leave it there, lest I become offended and by extension a hypocrite.

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Channel 7, Channel 9 and Channel 10 are the major media outlets in Australia.

None are owned by News Corp.

True. Though I was referring to print media and their connected online platforms that the majority of Australians use. I should have been clearer about that. Still, commercial television networks aren't without their own biases.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Absolutely, there's obsessively over-the-top anti-SJWs too. And they can be awful as well. Don't think that makes any difference to my overall contention though.

I'm left-wing myself btw. I just tend to criticise my own side quite a bit lately as I find certain aspects of the modern left frustrating. I disagree with the right on most major issues but some of their criticisms of the left are accurate.
I am the same actually. I also disagree on the right on many, probably most things and until recently have been in a union my whole working life.
But yeah, also I find a lot of aspects of the left frustrating now.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
True. Though I was referring to print media and their connected online platforms that the majority of Australians use. I should have been clearer about that. Still, commercial television networks aren't without their own biases.

Channel 7 in particular are very right wing.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
The right holds political power but the left has power over culture and the media. It's a divide you see across a lot of the Western world.

Yep. And I think it partly explains why in three major voting activities in the last few years (Brexit, US Election 2016, recent election here) the pollsters managed to completely misread the mood of the respective countries and their voters.

Back