Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Western Bulldogs (R14, Sun 23/06 3:20pm MRVL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
IN: Elliott
OUT: Brown or Varcoe

Taylor Adams probably still going to miss, or you find a spot for him as well.

Well, welcome to the worst round of the season: the bye.

After only playing the Bulldogs at the MCG in Round 4, it seems strange that we're playing them again despite not yet having played games against North, Hawthorn, GWS, GCS or Adelaide.

Last time we played an incredibly slow, boring game against the Dogs to prevent a shootout, which we eventually ran away with in the end. This time it's on their home deck which could mean anything against an inconsistent, young Bulldogs side. We also don't know how we'll look coming out of the bye, whereas the Dogs play this coming weekend against Carlton.

On the plus side, we looked a lot better in our win against Melbourne today than we had in the previous few weeks. Hopefully we can continue the momentum even after a break.

IN: Elliott
OUT: Brown or Varcoe

Taylor Adams probably still going to miss, or you find a spot for him as well.

Well, welcome to the worst round of the season: the bye.

After only playing the Bulldogs at the MCG in Round 4, it seems strange that we're playing them again despite not yet having played games against North, Hawthorn, GWS, GCS or Adelaide.

Last time we played an incredibly slow, boring game against the Dogs to prevent a shootout, which we eventually ran away with in the end. This time it's on their home deck which could mean anything against an inconsistent, young Bulldogs side. We also don't know how we'll look coming out of the bye, whereas the Dogs play this coming weekend against Carlton.

On the plus side, we looked a lot better in our win against Melbourne today than we had in the previous few weeks. Hopefully we can continue the momentum even after a break.
Brown was great in that last quarter imo. Actually gave us some run which was nice to see so he stays in for mine.

Backs:
Howe Roughead Maynard
Crisp Moore Greenwood

Mids:
Grundy Pendlebury Sier
Phillips Sidebottom Treloar

Forwards:
WHE Mihocek Stevo
Cox De Goey Elliott

Int:
Aish Thomas Mayne Brown

Emer:
Daicos Varcoe Reid Scharenberg

Unavailable:
Adams Langdon Beams Wells Dunn

Last edited:
Hard to say who exactly is going to be available. We didn't release an injury update this week.

If Elliott is ready, probably drop Varcoe. Brown stays.

There were at least 4 or 5 occasions where it looked like Treloar was trying to hand the game back to the Demons - I can guarantee he's not getting dropped though

Thomas isn't getting dropped (Bucks made that clear)

There's every chance we go unchanged against the Dogs.

Elliott in is pretty easy, but it presents some problems. We will need to take some time to get everyone to find their rapport.

I've said this a bit, but our medium forwards are all best on the lead from deep in the 50 (De Goey, Stephenson, WHE, Elliott) and we can probably only play 2 or 3 of them at a time without having someone get left in the cold.

WHE can get it further up the ground, so he comes up. Stephenson has to stay deep in my view, and Elliott can't get up around the ground as much, so has to stay down there. To me that means De Goey should spend more time in the midfield (where he is good) and get some minutes in the forwardline every quarter.

I actually had made my mind up about Brown being an out at 3/4 time. And I posted in the gameday thread that I was looking forward to seeing how Brown went in the last quarter, as it's generally when he comes into his own.

He didn't disappoint me, but as the likes of Elliott come back, we're definitely going to see blokes going out of the side that we don't necessarily want to see go out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure who comes in but any of Varcoe,Brown and Thomas be Dropped
Yep they’re the three on the fringe. I actually thought Varcoe was the best of them today, his impact in some key contests was enormous. Still, all three have their work cut out to stay in as players return.

Cox won’t be dropped but I agree with the Age:

Cox had missed five weeks and came straight back in to the senior side without going to the VFL, such was the extent the Pies rate his second ruck role in particular, but he was soundly beaten forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back