List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ideally we need to be cleverer than that.

You need defensive forwards - one way to go about it is to look at a team that has millions of that type and take the least effective one that they might release. So you end up with the least impressive guy from a team that has four or five of those types.

There is a better way (and no way are MFC looking capable of this). Take Geelong. They identify a need for defensive pressure and flexibility in the forward line. They trade in Rohan - everyone laughs because we've decided he is a useless spud. And it turns out that they correctly identified his skill set as something they could slot into their team and turn into an asset.

Unfortunately we are probably dumb ****s who won't learn how to do this.

I think that's a bit of a generalisation. That approach can work the other way, for example - a few years back, Carlton had four rucks in Kreuzer, Jacobs, Warnock and Hampson on their list. No way they'd be keeping four, so the Crows took a chance on Jacobs after 17 games and gave up picks in the mid-30s and mid-60s.

So, there's examples of this approach working both ways if a club is smart enough with its list management approach.

In regards to the Richmond small forwards, I think they've all shown they're AFL-level, and it's an area where we're severely lacking. So it makes sense to try and prize one out - and we wouldn't be paying too much unless it was for Rioli, who I assume they'd be least likely to let go.

Yeah name the specific frontal pressure players we have down there. We have prioritized that well below the majority of the competition.

I'll name the teams who aren't trying to win the footy in the forward half
-

Done.

I agree that we havnt got the most appropriate playing stock in our forward half for our game plan. Clearly we need more leg speed and manic tackling inside the forward 50.

In terms of sides who aren’t setting up to heavily forward press; Hawthorn, West Coast and Geelong to start with.

I agree that we havnt got the most appropriate playing stock in our forward half for our game plan. Clearly we need more leg speed and manic tackling inside the forward 50.

In terms of sides who aren’t setting up to heavily forward press; Hawthorn, West Coast and Geelong to start with.

I would have said the Hawks do. Breust, Puopolo and Impey are all pressure forwards. The addition of Wingard might go against that a bit, I guess, but Hawthorn were very big on forward pressure.

West Coast have got three talls typically, but the other three forwards also tend to be pretty nippy.

Our issue is that our front six is fairly slow aside from Hunt and Garlett, and Garlett isn't consistently hunting down running defenders like he used to do, so Hunt is pretty much left to his lonesome to run people down while Trac, Grandma TMac, Smith, Preuss, the Weid, etc lumber around.

I would have said the Hawks do. Breust, Puopolo and Impey are all pressure forwards. The addition of Wingard might go against that a bit, I guess, but Hawthorn were very big on forward pressure.

West Coast have got three talls typically, but the other three forwards also tend to be pretty nippy.

Our issue is that our front six is fairly slow aside from Hunt and Garlett, and Garlett isn't consistently hunting down running defenders like he used to do, so Hunt is pretty much left to his lonesome to run people down while Trac, Grandma TMac, Smith, Preuss, the Weid, etc lumber around.
doesn't help that Giant Ben Shapiro is too weak to lay a tackle let alone having the pace to do so

doesn't help that Giant Ben Shapiro is too weak to lay a tackle let alone having the pace to do so

Need Misson to give him some spinach and weetbix injections so he'll develop into a beast of average proportions.

As much as he was semi decent today, I'm not against packaging Trac with our top pick for a decent player or two get a pick 1 or 2 (Anderson/Rowell) and develop them into a star like Cripps.

As much as he was semi decent today, I'm not against packaging Trac with our top pick for a decent player or two get a pick 1 or 2 (Anderson/Rowell) and develop them into a star like Cripps.
Cripps was taken pick 13

Who would we give them to? We are in the bottom three by a game and a healthy amount of percentage.

And what will we do with the other four very good inside midfielders we have when we develop the next Cripps? Stick them on the wing? Package them up for pick one and draft a small forward?

Weird take (at absolute best) after a game where our inside midfield absolutely monstered the best midfield in the league.

Who would we give them to? We are in the bottom three by a game and a healthy amount of percentage.

And what will we do with the other four very good inside midfielders we have when we develop the next Cripps? Stick them on the wing? Package them up for pick one and draft a small forward?

Weird take (at absolute best) after a game where our inside midfield absolutely monstered the best midfield in the league.
Pick 3 and Petracca for pick 2.

Pick 3 and Petracca for pick 2.
The idea that we would trade a highly rated pick two that we are currently failing to develop as steak knives for another highly rated pick two when our development is far worse than it was five years ago is hysterical.

The idea that we would trade a highly rated pick two that we are currently failing to develop as steak knives for another highly rated pick two when our development is far worse than it was five years ago is hysterical.
Petracca and pick 3 for pick 1?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time today where Petracca got genuine midfield minutes and actually looked good. I would have him in there more than Viney.
he looked explosive and actually made an impact going i50

He’s not highly rated anymore

Grandma TMac is famous g. Lets see what he can knit.

Yeah wtf thats abit out there reckon we should be looking for a small to replace Jetta in a couple of years
Bit perplexed myself.. article says we still need to bloster our defence. We still have Omac and Petty as tall back ups.
Small quick defender, quick outside winger and key forward i would think be high on our shopping list.

😐 Keath will be 28 next yr. He's had half a good year. They want to pay him $600k a yr?! We already have at least 3 versions of him. Just bought up $1.4M/yr worth of tall defenders last two yrs and sold our one solid key forward who was only early 20s. All so we can play our prized fullback recruit May as a 28yr old speculative forward (according to the article)....
This is so Melbourne it's not even funny.
In short:
Traded in a back up ruck/forward who doesn't get picked.
Overpaid massively in picks for a fullback with 5 yrs tops left in him.
Sold our only potential key forward superstar who has a decade left for the equivalent of said fullback.
Want to overpay for another 28yr old key defender so we can play said fullback as a hail mary forward based on no evidence.

First time today where Petracca got genuine midfield minutes and actually looked good. I would have him in there more than Viney.

I only saw the second half but he seems to have a few moments a game where he does genuinely stupid things that very few others do. Reminds me a little of the Toump and his moments of genuine fright that you don't expect a professional footballer to exhibit. When he had the ball in the 50 and decided to kick it back approximately 3 metres to Harmes, you really have to question what is going on in his head (if anything). Just a really poor option. I'm trying to recall the specifics but he had another gash moment in the final quarter that completely derailed an attack on goal. Another player who doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.

😐 Keath will be 28 next yr. He's had half a good year. They want to pay him $600k a yr?! We already have at least 3 versions of him. Just bought up $1.4M/yr worth of tall defenders last two yrs and sold our one solid key forward who was only early 20s. All so we can play our prized fullback recruit May as a 28yr old speculative forward (according to the article)....
This is so Melbourne it's not even funny.
In short:
Traded in a back up ruck/forward who doesn't get picked.
Overpaid massively in picks for a fullback with 5 yrs tops left in him.
Sold our only potential key forward superstar who has a decade left for the equivalent of said fullback.
Want to overpay for another 28yr old key defender so we can play said fullback as a hail mary forward based on no evidence.
You missed the part where we moved our fullback forward to begin with for him to only turn to s**t after signing a big contract kicking off this whole merry go round

Remove this Banner Ad

Back