Review Dees v Maggies: the Good, Bad & Fugly

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
McDonald needs to be sent on a holiday, then an extended stint in the VFL. Its sad to watch.

Spargo out.

Fritsch to move forward otherwise he's out as well. Such a lazy kick.

Garlett should never play at AFL level again.

Billy Demon

Senior List
Jun 12, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
It is hard to see a flag for this group in the next 5 years. I think there will always be at least 4 teams with better squads than ours and at least 4 better coaches than S Goodwin. Also can’t rely on a couple of draft picks to turn around this situation. Perhaps have to get serious about retiring off or moving some big names on. Tough call but we need a circuit breaker. Forward line needs a complete overhaul and midfield/onballers need more pace and endurance. So what are we left with – a back six at full strength that is probably in the top half a dozen in the comp. Where to from here? Many MFC supporters are running out of time – last flag in 1964 and a couple of generations of supporters who will not live to see another one. Interested in your thoughts.

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
How much have we really improved from round 23 2017? We were crap then, and we’re crap now, and in between we won a couple of finals against teams on the downward.

This season has been one of the hardest as a supporter, after one year of somewhat success, footy is crap again.

Don’t feel like I’ll truly buy in again until round 2-3 next year, because I’m not confident we’re turning around for a while now.

Oct 11, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
McDonald needs to be sent on a holiday, then an extended stint in the VFL. Its sad to watch.

Spargo out.

Fritsch to move forward otherwise he's out as well. Such a lazy kick.

Garlett should never play at AFL level again.
I'll bet we trade our top draft pick to buy an average key forward so we can send Tmac back to defence next yr...🙃

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
What worries me is that whilst we have some players waiting in the wings (injury) like Jetta, Neal-Bullen, VanderBerg, Preuss, Melksham and Kolodjashnij. It is not earth shattering players that are to come back. And the team should not need to be running at 95% injury free in order to get results.

At this point the team is competitive but that is it.

Frost going down early really seemed to throw a spanner in the works for the team. But in general when May or Lever got the ball they seemed to make some good decisions. Which is going to provide a big boost as the team has some great disposal options coming out of the backline now.

I feel a third tall needs to come into the team for McDonald to get some less attention. In another universe maybe that could be O.McDonald transforming into a forward (or not) or perhaps that will be Preuss's role.

Spargo tries his heart out but if he does not find a next level it is not going to work for him (sadly) and whatever magic Garlett had he needs to find it asap.

Weideman was the big plus today and Oscar Baker I think could be anything.

We had our chances today and we repeatedly blew them. We’re useless without Melksham, and Fritsch playing in defence has to end. He’s so bad back there yet whenever he got forward and kicked inside 50 we looked good.

I don't think I've ever seen in my time watching footy such a complete drop away in form from the previous season, like the way TMac has fallen apart this year

I want to start a new society, the Dom Tyson memorial society of first year player at melbourne that drop away the next season. Because it seems to be a trend

2017 Mitch Hannan plays most of the season, just gets in for finals in 2018
2018 Spargo debuts and plays every game onward, looks terrible this year. And this is good because it hides Fritta

2019 who will it be? Marty Hore, Baker and Lockheart would wanna watch out

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't think I've ever seen in my time watching footy such a complete drop away in form from the previous season, like the way TMac has fallen apart this year
He’s being asked to be something he was never capable of and it’s destroyed him as a reasonable 2nd or third tall forward

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
We won the inside 50s, dominated clearances and still got pumped. Until we find out how to use the ball better going forward we will waste the obvious talent on this list.

When you are a hammer ("we need to be better in the contest") every problem looks like a nail ("we need to win contested ball")

We are a dumb team that is infuriating to watch

I suggest you look at the games he played when Hogan wasn't there.
Lol TMac was definitely not the number one forward when Hogan was in the team. Also Hogan only missed the last four games, which is when Weideman stepped up.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ah yes must have missed TMacs performance against the Eagles, Giants, Cats and Hawks. Or was Weid the #1 forward then?
So your sample size is 4, how about the next 13 when he’s been the worst key forward in the game playing a roll he’s not up to

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
It is hard to see a flag for this group in the next 5 years. I think there will always be at least 4 teams with better squads than ours and at least 4 better coaches than S Goodwin. Also can’t rely on a couple of draft picks to turn around this situation. Perhaps have to get serious about retiring off or moving some big names on. Tough call but we need a circuit breaker. Forward line needs a complete overhaul and midfield/onballers need more pace and endurance. So what are we left with – a back six at full strength that is probably in the top half a dozen in the comp. Where to from here? Many MFC supporters are running out of time – last flag in 1964 and a couple of generations of supporters who will not live to see another one. Interested in your thoughts.
Great post.

Today simply highlighted how off the pace we are against really good sides. McDonald typified our woes really, and simply has to be dropped against Fremantle. The time is up for a few to go; Stretch, JKH, Garlett, Lewis, Jones and Wagner just can’t be on the list next year. Maybe even Oscar McDonald.

We need a genuine gun. It’s that simple. The midfield needs a really good operator and we should be doing all we can to get Coniglio or someone else that’s A grade to the club. We are so one paved and all we did today was chase tail. If that means off loading Petracca then so be it, but we need to seriously overhaul our list.

Viney needs to relinquish the captaincy. He just doesn’t do enough. Gawn the obvious candidate. Lever and May better for the run. We really are miles away from contending and I can see so many teams going past us. Our forward line is junk. I don’t know what we do in the off season but we need to get this right. I reckon Goodwin will be spoken to at some point and rightly so.

We were lucky the Pies burned so many shots early or that could've easily been a triple figure loss. We were woeful throughout, though a few flickering lights of hope:
- Gawn.
- Hore was solid, did his job and always worked to make up for his mistakes.
- Weid looked ok in patches.
- Harmes was okish, sometimes.
- Thought Baker looked good again. Was quiet for a few long patches, but when he got it was composed and generally ok.

* Garlett to the magoos for the rest of the season. Tom McDonald can join him for a few weeks until he's bagging 5 each week. Looks nothing like the player he was. Midfield remains pus with how we use the ball; Oliver's 1000 handballs don't break us out of congestion and Brayshaw, Jones, Viney tend to blaze away far too often.
Same old s**t really for the past however many decades.

Back