Autopsy Rd 12 Carlton vs Brisbane - Blues suffer winning faTeague

Who played well for the Blues in Round 12 vs the Lions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

JoeyPBLUES

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Seems super serious. I hope he has fun too. Ya know?

Na I think he’s just one of those guys that’s Just a footy head just really loves his footy and super professional which being a number 1 pick in a strong draft he’d have to be. By all accounts an absolute ripper person.

Blue Viking

Team Captain
Apr 20, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
Who looks at the umpires numbers though?

If you didn't watch the match how did you know who you are talking about without googling umpire numbers.

It would be good if Champion Data collected frees awarded stats on the umps so that the world could see if a particular ump favours one team all the time. Now there's a spotlight that the maggots would not want to be seen in.

Blue Viking

Team Captain
Apr 20, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
Whew! you didn't use the word green. You won't get banned for 3 weeks

If you had explained to one of them that 'you can't handball with one hand' you may well have been immediately ejected as well......

I save the instructional commentary to game day and offer advice over the fence to the people in green or yellow.

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
As good as we were, Stef Martin’s miss from 15m out was crucial. I felt that heartbreak was firmly on the cards until then
Yep, it was heart in the mouth stuff, but at the ground, I didn't have that feeling. We were all over them by then, this was a time when we were actually playing better than tiggy touchwood umpiring decisions were not going to arrest momentum. Crippa probably would have just kicked 5 :)

Mondyboy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Statistically, JSOS had a quiet game. But the standard he set and maintained for workrate and pressure got us rolling and spread through the whole team. Have heard him criticised as being arrogant and entitled, but his gsme is the opposite. Works hard for his teammates, unconditionally.

Don't get the disposal count point either. Who gives a **** if he was bottom three (actually bottom 5, two other blokes matched him in addition to the two below him), he's playing as a pressure forward behind three tall targets plus Cripps going forward. Three players are always going to be bottom three for possessions, you need to look at their games rather than their pole position.

This.

You keep him in the team for the three efforts that led to the first goal and the quick handball to Crippa that led to his third. He impacts games.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mondyboy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Seriously though WALSH is something else, every kick he had was magical. Not only was he attacking but consistently provided an out kick for our defenders or under pressure midfielders. He competes for contests on both sides of the wings how is that even possible??

I thought the same thing when I was at the ground when he took a mark on a wing and I had to blink twice because I was sure he’d been standing on the opposite wing, competing for the ball,15 seconds previously.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
Casboult was huge. If he keeps his form up playing back Jones may have to come back through the VFL............

*runs and hides
We've actually got a reasonably healthy list now (thanks Jacky R)...so with the Blues and the magoo's winning, positions will be pretty competitive at the moment.

If one of H, Charles or Gov was out injured, I actually like to see Jonesy have a run up forward. It'd be interesting to see how much his game may have developed since moving down back...if nothing else, he'd be a headache to the opposition coaches and smash a few packs along the way.

We know his forward pressure would be huge like he's learnt to play down back.

Just a thought...

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I save the instructional commentary to game day and offer advice over the fence to the people in green or yellow.
I believe it is the right of every Football follower, from the days of Melbourne rules, through VFA, VFL, AFL, to advise those officiating how wrong they have been.

The contrary coincidental calls from the opposing fans of 'BALL! and 'MAN' are a function of the rules of the game and a great part of the joy of following it.

The action of one umpire this weekend to point an individual out (apparently because he does not like a reference to his bald pate) seems to be a bit of a 'me too' reaction. (no ladies, I'm not equating umpire abuse with sexual abuse. It just seems to me to be an apt metaphor.) The point made by the fellow ejected is correct. One cannot handball with one hand.

Aug 21, 2009
The Superego’s Palace
AFL Club
Carlton
In all seriousness, that should happen anyway. After the nature and extent of his layoff, I'd be disappointed if he came straight back to AFL at Casboult's expense - just unnecessary.

Just quietly, Casboult is the smarter footballer. Of course he doesn't have Jones' athleticism, but he makes a broader range of defensive decisions, and makes them well. He knows when to mark, when to spoil, and (most importantly) when to block when a team-mate is in better position (Jones never does this). Marchbank has flourished next to Casboult; tends to wither next to Jones. I think this is because Jones is such a one-dimensional spoiler; he kills plenty of contests in our F50, which is great when the opposition key forwards are in good position, but he also robs us of valuable rebound when the opportunity arises for an intercept mark and quick release to slingshot.

So I hope Jones comes back through the VFL, and I also hope he is told that when he can read the ball in the air, he should be marking first
Good post :thumbsu::thumbsu:

BlueBayou

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
We've actually got a reasonably healthy list now (thanks Jacky R)...so with the Blues and the magoo's winning, positions will be pretty competitive at the moment.

If one of H, Charles or Gov was out injured, I actually like to see Jonesy have a run up forward. It'd be interesting to see how much his game may have developed since moving down back...if nothing else, he'd be a headache to the opposition coaches and smash a few packs along the way.

We know his forward pressure would be huge like he's learnt to play down back.

Just a thought...
Nice idea. Like it. Surely this is one of the plan B's the coaching staff has up their sleeve now that Cas has proved to be a lot more than solid down back. I'd go further in this still 'learning' phase. I would play CC at chb for a half. Maybe in an unwinnable game, say v the cats at Geelong.

wackle69

Senior List
Nov 2, 2013
I can’t remember a come from behind win like that since the Ratten days. I’m sure there were plenty pre 80’s before I was born.

Was too young in the 80’s to remember anything, the 90’s are fuzzy and we used to win plenty so the wins seemed like they were just going to happen.

Then the dreaded 00’s happened. Can’t remember many come from behind wins with Brittain but that is going back a while.

Can anyone jog my memory? I seem to remember always thinking we were in with a chance when Ratts was coach, because Judd

Elimination final against Tiges comes to mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Pretty good to get a win really and not all that unexpected, always beware the side with the new coach, it's a huge motivator and for most of our players it was.

I liked how we had forwards playing further away from the play more. Been saying it for ages and I also liked our outside game a lot better. More effective handball, less bombing it was good to see.

In saying this our kicking was terrible, we should have never had to make up 6 goals and we could have beaten them a lot easier if we start hitting targets and stop missing the easy goals. In the end it was effort and brilliance by a few talented players that did it. We'd be a lot better team if we could just tidy up the kicking.

Cripps - Had a quiet game last week but played one of the all time great individual games this week. Was truly far too good.

Walsh - This guy is awesome, he's one of the best first year players I have ever seen, he's just so clean and relentless. Just keeps going hard.

Ed Curnow - Really liked his game, to play a tagging role well and to get 30 disposals is good. I thought he was clean with his hands and used handball really well. Gave us a physical edge we've lacked.

SPS - I liked his game, made some errors but he was prolific enough.

Setterfield - Probably his best game of AFL footy, I thought he was cleaner than usual. He's still not the fit and strong finished product he needs to be to become a good AFL player but he was alright.

C Curnow - Statistically good game but I just felt he had another gear to go up. Really want to see him leading up hard at the ball more. His leading and positioning need work.

Gibbons - Liked his game a lot, he used it fairly well and looked good up in the midfield. Just added some experience and gave us a senior body with clean hands. Liked his short kicking game.

Weitering - He was awesome, too a lot of intercept marks, his effort and intensity define him, sometimes he tends to cruise and play a little laconic but when he shows aggression, physicality and genuine effort he is as good as the best.

Newman - He's proven to be a good pickup, he was great, I really like what his does and how he goes about it most of the time.

Thomas - Provides some intensity and effort back there and thought he was great.

Simpson - Same as Thomas, thought he provided some good run and experience.

Casboult - Took some good marks and made some good spoils. He's had a good run of form and when Jones is fit we will be wondering what we do here because he's restructured out defence and his form has been good. Just keeping it simple and playing to his strengths.

O'Brien - Probably his best game at the club, this is more the footy I was expecting from him. Found a little more of the ball and gave a little run. He was alright.

Fisher - Thought he was pretty good. The intensity, effort and speed he plays at is great and he used the ball and showed better composure.

McGovern - I like that he really makes the most of his opportunities and rarely misses shots on goal. He needs to get fitter and start leading up at the ball a lot harder. Handy player but he can get better.

Marchbank - Played a good game, took some crucial marks and looks to be playing and moving freely.

Kreuzer - Efforts was good and his game was handy. Solid performance.

McKay - Played a fairly poor game I thought, just seemed to be lost out there and rarely in good position. Was hoping to see more hard leading up at the ball but rarely saw any of that. His intensity was poor and he didn't lead hard enough. Got out marked too much. Needs to work on his positioning and leading, too often we got caught without a tall to go to or he was losing front position and not in a position to lead up at the ball carrier.

Plowman - Solid game.

Dow - He needs to get stronger and he needs to get better at kicking. Can see him probably taking a while to make it. Kicking let him down and lack of strength for an inside mid is a problem. Ideally should be developing in the VFL but our depth isn't there yet. Perhaps he needs to go down the Ed Curnow path and take on some tagging roles.

Cuningham - Kept nearly doing good things. It wasn't his best day but I thought he was ok, just not quite on.

Silvagni - Another nearly player. HE nearly has great games and nearly does good things. Effort is good but drops too many marks. Did a couple of nice things and is good at ground level but has some work to do.

Back