Rumour Two current AFL stars have lost $1 million each on the punt

Remove this Banner Ad

I punt most weeks and have done since the days I got $10 for mowing the lawn and its all about personal responsibility. When I first started getting proper paycheques at 18 I'd blow it all but thats my fault. Nowadays its in my budget like people budget for clothes, concerts etc. But if the AFL want to do left-wing crap like change their emblem to support equal marriage rights (personally I voted yes but its not up to AFL to shove it down throats), womens round, Indigenous round, etc then as an organisation they need to look in their own backyard and be held accountable for not doing more for footballers lives outside of football. The hypocrisy is laughable.
Curious, so you budget to lose money then, over the long term?
As the old saying goes, the house always gets you.
Not having a go at you, if it’s money you can afford to lose and you put aside say 50 a week knowing it won’t come back the pen fair enough, it’s your entertainment dollar i guess.

There are other ways, but involves a lot of background work.

I know a professional punter, who makes a fair quid.

He has many, many betting accounts not in his name.

Each account has its own bank account, phone and hard drive.

He actually employs people to help set up his accounts.

He has no inside contacts in any sport.

The hardest aspect for any professional punter is having accounts banned when they’re to successful, as betting companies don’t like losing.

Interesting enough. This is what Bryce Gibbs old man used to do. So it’s no wonder Bryce got the bug.

Not having a go at you, if it’s money you can afford to lose and you put aside say 50 a week knowing it won’t come back the pen fair enough, it’s your entertainment dollar i guess.
I budget as if I will lose 100% of it. I obviously have wins along the way which help but its something that can entertain me all Saturday long away from footy season so I don't see it as any different to going to a music festival, a fancy restaurant, sporting event, trip around the countryside.

The house doesn’t always win... you just need to be able to identify value, which a lot of people don’t do

Young people with plenty of time and cash, mixed with a competitive streak, not hard to see why gambling is attractive and could become an issue.

Definatly something the AFL needs to address publically, only need a player owing the wrong people enough money to create an opportunity for spots and maybe games to be fixed.

Also think the saturation of gambling advertising needs to be looked at. Ie no adverting at all during games at venues and on tv.

As the old saying goes, the house always gets you. Not having a go at you, if it’s money you can afford to lose and you put aside say 50 a week knowing it won’t come back the pen fair enough, it’s your entertainment dollar i guess.

I made over $10k last year betting on AFL and NRL, I then take a break during the off-season. I have a few friends that make money this way too (more that lose money though admittedly).
Beating the House ongoing is actually quite common, nothing special - that's why there is a but of an uproar arm about betting companies banning (or promo-banning) successful punters.
I am banned by quite a few - but the worst is Ladbrokes, banned within a couple of weeks.
The banning of ongoing successful punters is twisted, they are basically admitting they only want losing punters.

I made over $10k last year betting on AFL and NRL, I then take a break during the off-season. I have a few friends that make money this way too (more that lose money though admittedly).
Beating the House ongoing is actually quite common, nothing special - that's why there is a but of an uproar arm about betting companies banning (or promo-banning) successful punters.
I am banned by quite a few - but the worst is Ladbrokes, banned within a couple of weeks.
The banning of ongoing successful punters is twisted, they are basically admitting they only want losing punters.
iluvparis do punting board rules extend to here?

Sure you have ;)

Gambling is awful - the AFL is complicit in allowing it to be endemically advertised in every fabric of its existence.
Gibbs and Beams are victims of it, obviously - they shouldn't be vilified or shunned for being addicts.
When I was 18 I won $800 on the pokies, I am very lucky that I somehow never became a gambling addict.

Maybe the AFL can get some sponsorship from drug dealers.

They could sponsor a show called druggies corner run by Cousins and Yarran discussing the best way to cook ice!! Special guest on the first week will be Bomber Thompson who will discuss marketing.

I cannot believe the AFL take gambling dollars thereby endorsing this insidious pastime. They normalise the behaviour by accepting the sponsorships.

Ive never seen it written in news so cant find a article but AFLPA as 5 times more problem gamblers reported then Rugby League does. Seems to be alot more culturally acceptable in AFL then NRL

Id say its a two pronged reason. Firstly alot of NRL players get to stay home around family presences, moreso then AFL. Not that surprising the two big names mentioned here were moved away from home at a young age. Secondly, NRL players coming from the island nations more are alot more religious and against gambling as a whole (but then again they do seem to like the sniffy jiffy still)

I suspect the private school backgrounds of many AFL players doesn't help, either. Gambling (particularly horse racing and the prestige of being part of ownership or punting syndicates) is a cultural norm in many private schools.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also think the saturation of gambling advertising needs to be looked at. Ie no adverting at all during games at venues and on tv.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know it's no longer legal for gambling ads to be broadcast in the ads between goals. I believe at the quarter/half time breaks they're still regulated, but just getting them off the goal breaks was a massive step.

When you have games where there might be anywhere from 5-12 goals kicked in a quarter, that's a lot of advertising. The more you see it the more it gets drummed into your head and you start to associate it more and more with watching the footy.

Beteasy. Betting partner of the AFL. **** me. Just run the ******* game. Stop treating fans like dickheads and start lookong after player welfare rather than lining your pockets for a ****ty new logo or a score review system that is worse than a year 10 media studies project.
This is not directed at you but I wanted to use your post as a lead in to my thoughts.

Why does the AFL involve itself in the Betting Industry? From the outside it looks hypocritical ( and I personally think they should get out) but when a deeper look is taken then player welfare and by extension the games welfare is in the AFLs thinking

One of the reasons the AFL are actively engaged with betting companies is to control the players and to spot and identify players on the punt and at risk of match fixing. Betting companies will give over information of identified player accounts

So ironically the player can blow a years salary on the horses or basketball or 2 flies but dont ever bet on the footy or you will cop it

I didn't know that was a thing, banning successful punters, keeping the losers.
That's very concerning. What is there reason for the ban? Surely they have to justify it somehow?
I bet $10 most weekends and know full well I'll lose doing a multi. I knew they thought I'm a sucker but too ban me if I ever got good, wow.
The AFL are greedy buggers, those beteasy ads are full on. They're not helping these players or the general public

That's very concerning. What is there reason for the ban? Surely they have to justify it somehow?
I bet $10 most weekends and know full well I'll lose doing a multi. I knew they thought I'm a sucker but too ban me if I ever got good, wow.
The AFL are greedy buggers, those beteasy ads are full on. They're not helping these players or the general public

They are a private company - they can restrict their service to whoever they like as long as they are not being discriminatory.

Yep, Pointsbet, Ladbrokes and BetStar are easily the worst at this imo. They will class you as a professional punter and that is there justification.
By 'professional' they mean successful - scumbags. Yet I highly doubt they will cut off an unsuccessful punter at the same rate or identify problem gamblers.

Sure you have ;)

You can't comprehend someone making money off sports betting? I'm guessing the fact you see it as beyond the realms of possibility means you've lost a lot of money betting.

Yep, Pointsbet, Ladbrokes and BetStar are easily the worst at this imo. They will class you as a professional punter and that is there justification.
By 'professional' they mean successful - scumbags. Yet I highly doubt they will cut off an unsuccessful punter at the same rate or identify problem gamblers.

You can't comprehend someone making money off sports betting? I'm guessing the fact you see it as beyond the realms of possibility means you've lost a lot of money betting.
It's not the comprehension of making money off sports betting, its the e-brag after the event that provides lols. Anyone can come on the internet and say they won.

**** gambling. A cancer on society. And **** all the people that think it’s fun.
I posted something similar in another thread about the same problem.. and want to put this out there for the "the house always wins, you can't win betting rah rah ban it all" crew. This problem is bigger than the AFL but problem gambling is over represented in the AFL vs average community due to reasons I've listed below - the problem is exacerbated by their high salaries.

I don't find betting to be enjoyable anymore, but it's become my main source of income so I see it more as my job. Winning punters go through the issue of having accounts banned/limited etc. by bookmakers and are told "your business is uneconomical" or "you are not a recreational punter so we will no longer accept your business". They've gone as far as closing my accounts that weren't losing at a fast enough rate in the past. At these same bookmakers, losing punters are encouraged to bet bigger, bet more often & even given account managers to encourage them to bet with a specific bookmaker, load them up with deposit match bonus bets, tickets to marquees at races & corporate boxes at other sporting events. How often do you see groups of players at these events in VIP sections? It's not club sponsors giving them tickets and they haven't bought them, though I suppose they've paid for them in a roundabout way, they're tickets courtesy of Beteasy, Sportsbet or Ladbrokes. Young men with heaps of free time, plenty of disposable income & their own personal scumbag on their shoulder telling them to bet, what a recipe. It's criminal, if you're taking the bookmaker's money they close your accounts, if you're making them money they'll clean you out until you have nothing left. There is no amount you can lose that is enough for them, they'll always take more.

I've put thousands of hours in to collecting data & building models to predict outcomes & collate true odds to find spots that are profitable. These players don't do any research, they get a tip from their friend, they look at the odds and say "that looks juicy" and they put way too much money on it with nowhere near enough thought. To get bets on, I need to open numerous accounts under various names, use different devices with different IP addresses as these companies go as far as tracking this information, to link you back to you original account & close these accounts down too. There are only a couple of bookmakers in Australia where you can actually get set to win a decent amount of money when you're a winning punter. I see my mate's Sportsbet account and on the same event, he - a big losing punter, can bet to win $10,000 where I am only able to win $50.

The industry needs heavier regulation, minimum bet laws for winners & better management/support for problem punters. If bookies were forced to display a figure of your net position after betting with them (your account profit & loss basically) a lot of punters would notice their problem earlier & possibly seek counselling or set deposit limits on their own accounts. I track every bet I place in a spreadsheet so I know my exact position but 99.99% of punters wouldn't have a clue where they're at. If you ask anyone at the end of a day on the punt how they're going, how often do they say "yeah broke even"? It's rubbish. Plenty of people out there think that they're winning or that they haven't lost too much but they genuinely have no idea what they've bet across the years & what they've lost. There should be a stake limit you have set so you don't bet more than x amount on an individual bet & a daily bet limit with every bookmaker so you can't bet more than that. To increase these limits you must request to do so in writing & have 30 days before it's approved. I know there is something in place with this at the moment but it's not enforced/promoted enough IMO. None of this will happen unless it's forced upon them by regulators. If you self exclude from any bookmaker, you should be put in a registry with all bookmakers across Australia so that you cannot open an account at a new bookmaker when you feel like having a bet & if you wish to overturn this ban, it should be extremely difficult and have plenty of red tape. It's honestly a joke how bookmakers are allowed to run with these tactics and have free run at the moment to do as they please.

Last edited:

Must be super shrewd if you don't know ladbrokes & betstar are the same mob

A few years back, when he was first appointed coach of the Suns, Rocket was being interviewed on SEN and the host asked him, when thinking about the young and impressionable players he was now the coach, what kept him up at night, and without any hesitation whatsoever he said “****ING MINSON!!”.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back