Toast Pick #10 - Welcome to Carlton Lochie O'Brien!

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachie's enthusiasm to pat someone on the back, provide that support after a well, indifferent result, felt at some times....not contrived....but maybe a little too much...….oh how glad am I to hear that it's real.....haven't seen the replay, but reports of LOB getting into Mitch Robinson's face is warming to this old blue bagga...and then that left peg!......onwards and upwards

But I was told clearly in the SOS thread (after the Bolton sacking) that LOB is already a certain draft bust. Delist him, he suck, sack SOS.

Now this post :)

We run hot and cold here.

I believe in LOB and Cunners. Still jnrs.

SOS I’m happy to still depart.

I said LOB likely bust but looked very good on sat and that kick to Curnow was fantastic.

SOS’s early picks haven’t been the issue, even if LOB is a bust we still have a good hit rate.

I said LOB likely bust but looked very good on sat and that kick to Curnow was fantastic.

SOS’s early picks haven’t been the issue, even if LOB is a bust we still have a good hit rate.

It's what frustrates me about people writing off young players. LOB was playing a role he never had before and was doing exactly what he was told to do whilst still finding his way at AFL level. He wasn't the only one.

He’s fine

Good news. Great to see O'Brien play the way we know he can.

Also good to have seen him extending his leg, whether by default or design.
Much better off for it and threw defenders off-guard several times, as the ball hit up spots many could not have reached with the distance and accuracy.

It's what frustrates me about people writing off young players. LOB was playing a role he never had before and was doing exactly what he was told to do whilst still finding his way at AFL level. He wasn't the only one.
Yep, been obvious with a handful of the boys. Still a couple with question marks, trying to determine best role. LOB, Gibbo, Ed particularly not among them.

Liked the way he stood up shook off the tackler with the a rotation and twist of the hips across half forward line, then moved the ball on ... Another little glimpse of what the kid has in his game...

I'm hoping his ball use will become the weapon it was at junior level. That along with his running was why he was drafted. Once he gets some more confidence and his teammates in him I'm sure it will. There were a number of times he worked into space on the weekend but was ignored or his teammates didn't take the first option. His ability to hit targets quickly over 40-50 metres will make him a dangerous player.

I'm hoping his ball use will become the weapon it was at junior level. That along with his running was why he was drafted. Once he gets some more confidence and his teammates in him I'm sure it will. There were a number of times he worked into space on the weekend but was ignored or his teammates didn't take the first option. His ability to hit targets quickly over 40-50 metres will make him a dangerous player.

Kick to Charlie was a beauty. Happy to see LOB back playing good football.

I have no doubt about his kicking and decision making at all Soap, Saturday's game was a good example of what the kid is and will be capable of when he starts feels more comfortable and believing he belongs with more gametime, what I seen of him in his draft years was not only his strengths in kicking and endurance running but his smarts getting to good areas for link ups or back to cutting of opposition attacking kicks/entries, his courage going back with the flight when he had to as well being underrated.
Lochie and Dow have had a lot of unfair expectations on them as players halfway into a second season, Dow's my man but Lochie is going to be a fine player... Best bunch of kids we have ever had coming through at the one time👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no doubt about his kicking and decision making at all Soap, Saturday's game was a good example of what the kid is and will be capable of when he starts feels more comfortable and believing he belongs with more gametime, what I seen of him in his draft years was not only his strengths in kicking and endurance running but his smarts getting to good areas for link ups or back to cutting of opposition attacking kicks/entries, his courage going back with the flight when he had to as well being underrated.
Lochie and Dow have had a lot of unfair expectations on them as players halfway into a second season, Dow's my man but Lochie is going to be a fine player... Best bunch of kids we have ever had coming through at the one time👍
Yeah but someones brothers, cousins, son who played against him in one game of TAC didn't rate him so he is a drafting mistake.:rolleyes:

Think he is the main player to benefit from Teagues "Play to your strengths" game plan. In previous weeks he would be virtually un-sighted in the first 3 quarters and then get 4 or 5 in the last when the game opened up and structure broke down while using it well (the couple of goals from around 50 come to mind).

Loved his application on the weekend, but equally so his aggression and support for team mates. Loved seeing him yank Mitch off of the pack that was on top of Dow, then Mitch grabs his throat, he gets his free kick and slots it. Then I loved how waiting for the next centre bounce he gives Mitch a big shove and Mitch's face is priceless, he reacts like he is going to kill him then Remembers, ' oh yeh, that's right, last time I touched you it cost us a goal' Loved it!

Yeah but someones brothers, cousins, son who played against him in one game of TAC didn't rate him so he is a drafting mistake.:rolleyes:

Think he is the main player to benefit from Teagues "Play to your strengths" game plan. In previous weeks he would be virtually un-sighted in the first 3 quarters and then get 4 or 5 in the last when the game opened up and structure broke down while using it well (the couple of goals from around 50 come to mind).
Good point, getting the kids to play to their strengths rather than burdening them with run with/sacrificial roles so early in their careers can have a negative spin on what they are good at in the first place, therefore the kid worrying to much about a role then slowly loosing confidence in his own game.
To me you look at Cameron Polson when he played his first three or so games for the Northern Blues looked a natural ball winner racking up great numbers then for some reason they changed and modified his whole game, he hasn't looked anywhere near that player ever since. You have to careful how you teach and develop players in their afl infancy...

Good point, getting the kids to play to their strengths rather than burdening them with run with/sacrificial roles so early in their careers can have a negative spin on what they are good at in the first place, therefore the kid worrying to much about a role then slowly loosing confidence in his own game.
To me you look at Cameron Polson when he played his first three or so games for the Northern Blues looked a natural ball winner racking up great numbers then for some reason they changed and modified his whole game, he hasn't looked anywhere near that player ever since. You have to careful how you teach and develop players in their afl infancy...

Agree. Getting Polson to charge around at a million miles an hour applying pressure seems to have played havoc with his ability to be composed. It seems to have been to much of a change too quickly.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree. Getting Polson to charge around at a million miles an hour applying pressure seems to have played havoc with his ability to be composed. It seems to have been to much of a change too quickly.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Will be interesting to see if he can rediscover that ball winning ability he showed early days, having seen how Teauges coaching ideas on how individuals play to their strengths have had instant results for players already, hopefully can have a positive effect on him as well...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back