Fan threatened with eviction from MCG for barracking too loud

Remove this Banner Ad

“Umpires Matthew Nicholls was visibly shaken.”

Lol, you’ve got to be ******* kidding me right?
Yeah bullying is A-OK? Amirite guys?

Yeah bullying is A-OK? Amirite guys?
Customer service people cop that s**t all day and deal with it.

No reason why the umps can’t.

Customer service people cop that **** all day and deal with it.

No reason why the umps can’t.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

As someone who works in customer service, I can say that I've seen employees hurt by customer comments, it affects the way they work, their mental health, and can impact the way they go about their life. This type of bullying should be heavily discouraged on all ranges of jobs.

A Carlton supporter abusing an umpire, you can almost guarantee he said a lot more than 'bald headed flog'. And even if that was it, why would you publicly embarrass yourself like that, just pull your head in.

Why can you guarantee that?

Not everyone is as passionless as you.

Some people's love for their club is very personal and so they take it personally when they see incompetence from highly paid people who are in a position of power where they can't be challenged on the field for being utter rubbish at their job.

So fans will vent through sheer frustration.

It can be pretty funny sometimes though. Sometimes you gotta just do it for a laugh and think of the consequences later

A large chunky woman in a shop was really rude to me once (face to face) so I took note of her name and after I left I called the shop 3 or 4 times and asked to speak to her. When she came to the phone I just said 'You're too fat!!' and then hung up

I’m glad he got thrown out. The umpires are trying to do their job to the best of their ability with the direction they are given. It is hard enough as it is. It’s no wonder why many don’t want to umpire. What a malicious disrespectful comment. Can people really not watch footy without insults!?? He should lose his membership too if Blues were serious about what represents the club. Well done to Nicholls for not taking any of the fans crap! I hope more follow suit!
Malicious? You cant be serious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do enjoy seeing how incredibly soft many people have become in recent times.

Any little hurt feeling these days = bullying + harassment +mental health issues + social media torches and pitchforks.

Some of you just need a good old-fashioned smack across the back of the *ing head.

I don't mind people getting booted, or getting a slap on the wrist for abusing players/umpires. I think this one was a bit soft, but insults should stick to the player/umpire's ability, not their physical appearance, family, etc.

Its not bullying. Maybe if the fan ran on the field and gave him a wedgie.

Clearly you don't understand mental health of people if you think bullying can only be physical.

Last edited:
The umpires are a bunch of princesses when you compare them with NHL referees. Those guys get abused, flattened, wrestle with players. Under a heap of public scrutiny now for poor decisions heading into Game 7 of the Stanley Cup. And they just carry on with a minimum of fuss.

I don't mind people getting booted, or getting a slap on the wrist for abusing players/umpires. I think this one was a bit soft, but insults should stick to the player/umpire's ability, not their physical appearance, family, etc.

Where does e.g. "Open your eyes you fricken halfwit" sit on your culpability scale?

You have to think that if the AFL continues down this path one of their umpires will inevitably be spotted in a bar somewhere in public in future and end up getting thumped.
The fact that you would even suggest this is part of the issue. Why the hell should umpires be at risk of being physically attacked? To even contemplate that is ridiculous. I love the game but it's just a bloody game. Calm the hell down, people.

Where does e.g. "Open your eyes you fricken halfwit" sit on your culpability scale?

Ooh, questionable. I think it passed, although it pales in comparison to the classic: "Are your *en eyed painted on or what?"

The umpires are a bunch of princesses when you compare them with NHL referees. Those guys get abused, flattened, wrestle with players. Under a heap of public scrutiny now for poor decisions heading into Game 7 of the Stanley Cup. And they just carry on with a minimum of fuss.
Doesn't make it right. What if someone came to your work, swore at you, spat at you and threatened to punch on with you? How would that be for your enjoyment of your work? I don't want the AFL to be the mind police but umpires also shouldn't be fair game or who the hell would want to do it?

Nobody starts abusing umpires before the game. It's the in-game decisions that trigger the spontaneous response.

Next we'll be forced to swallow Prozac at the gate.
A tad over dramatic, Ron. Of course bad decisions trigger a response and no issue with that. The AFL may be overplaying their hand here but what is the right balance? If you want to attract quality umpires to the game do you just throw them to the lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back