Review Good/Bad v GWS, Rd 12 2019

Haha he was calling for the ball, Arms out to the side with hands open saying what about me, Once he seen it go through he thought he'd better jog over and celebrate with rest of them.

The arms were up before it left the boot, he was absolutely calling for it.

jenkins call.png

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide

View attachment 690374
Which if if was anyone other than Eddie wouldn't have been a bad option as we have a 2 on 1 there and he is in good position. I reckon if it was Gallucci and he missed it the commentators would have gone off.

Which if if was anyone other than Eddie wouldn't have been a bad option as we have a 2 on 1 there and he is in good position. I reckon if it was Gallucci and he missed it the commentators would have gone off.

Probably better to be actively engaging in the play / positioning rather than standing like a galoot static with your arms up.

I'm not sure you want the player on the boundary bringing that back across the face there in that situation. If he misses the pass, entirely possible, then you've just opened the ground up for the opposition team to spread to. Almost certainly a goal against.

Sloane's idea better.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
As great as that goal was, by Eddie's standard it is actually an easy kick. Pretty much a straight drop punt.

The kick to Jenkins would have been a harder kick as Eddie was naturally facing the goals.

Jenkins may have been calling for it to clear the goal square of defenders, ie they go to him instead of the goal square to spoil the kick.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Its not the coach

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Probably better to be actively engaging in the play / positioning rather than standing like a galoot static with your arms up.

I'm not sure you want the player on the boundary bringing that back across the face there in that situation. If he misses the pass, entirely possible, then you've just opened the ground up for the opposition team to spread to. Almost certainly a goal against.

Sloane's idea better.
I think it was more Jenkins letting Eddie know he was there if he needed an option, I don't feel that Jenkins was wrong in doing it. Eddie did the right thing by the crowd and put the cherry on top.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Loved and hated at the same time: Our Jekyll and Hyde act on competing in the air.

All freaking season we have struggled to compete in the air. It almost cost us this match too but in the last quarter we came alive.
We were spoiling when out of position, we took contested marks inside F50 (when else did this happen this season).

In reality its a major weakness we need to work on.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I think it was more Jenkins letting Eddie know he was there if he needed an option, I don't feel that Jenkins was wrong in doing it. Eddie did the right thing by the crowd and put the cherry on top.
He wasn't doing anything wrong, some people will just take the chance to have a dip.

subaru

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
The other thing is ROB would have known he was under extreme pressure to perform this week given Sauce’s game in the SANFL and he well and truly nailed it.

Mental toughness .....

Ah, now I remember what it is !

He wasn't doing anything wrong, some people will just take the chance to have a dip.
I actually didn't think he was calling for it either. I reckon the kick had already left Eddie's boot and he was signalling a goal before it went through. He was in a pretty good position to see its trajectory.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Jenkins may have been calling for it to clear the goal square of defenders, ie they go to him instead of the goal square to spoil the kick.
I'd like to hope so, but I doubt that he's that footy-smart.
Yeah, looked like.
... and he was signalling a goal before it went through. He was in a pretty good position to see its trajectory.
BEST position to see the ball trajectory would be from the goal umpire's pov, or from behind Eddie. Jenkins' view would have been affected by error of parallax.

What's the fuss? Many forwards call for the ball when they're clear and in a good poz. Eddie nailed it; great goal.

I'd like to hope so, but I doubt that he's that footy-smart.

Yeah, looked like.

BEST position to see the ball trajectory would be from the goal umpire's pov, or from behind Eddie. Jenkins' view would have been affected by error of parallax.

What's the fuss? Many forwards call for the ball when they're clear and in a good poz. Eddie nailed it; great goal.
No fuss... it's just that I recall when watching it that he was already celebrating it (rather than calling for it). That's what I saw. It could be wrong though. :)

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
No fuss... it's just that I recall when watching it that he was already celebrating it (rather than calling for it). That's what I saw. It could be wrong though. :)
Apologies, Jen.
"What's the fuss?" sounded harsher than I intended and I know you're more likely to look for the good intent, than not. Eddie's reflexive action based on past results was to go for goal, which he nailed. Brayshaw (Ch.7) was euphoric, the crowd loved it and the stacks-on-the-Eddie-mill reaction of the players showed how much it meant to them (did you notice that Tex hung back a little to let the boys get to Eddie first? Good thing too --- if he'd slid in like Sloaney, Eddie would have been hospitalised :D).
Great moment in a top game. Shut the lid on GWS too.
What I meant was that it's of no consequence what JJ was doing, calling for it or celebrating. There are 1,000s of body-language gestures every game and his was one of many.

Back