Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Western Bulldogs (R14, Sun 23/06 3:20pm MRVL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’d love to see Schaz back. However, I don’t think we can play Moore, Roughead, Howe And Schaz in the same team. Just a bit too tall for me.

I like the balance we have atm with Roughead,Moore & Howe taking the tall forwards.

Crisp, Maynard, Aish & Greenwood taking the small forwards.

I could see us playing the 4 tallish defenders when we verse the Eagles. Apart from that we would be too tall.

Greenwood and Aish have been very good lately but surely one them makes way for Scharenberg at some point?
Don’t think we’ll have to worry about that for at least another month. They’ll want plenty of game time in his legs before they consider him for senior selection.

I’d love to see Schaz back. However, I don’t think we can play Moore, Roughead, Howe And Schaz in the same team. Just a bit too tall for me.

I like the balance we have atm with Roughead,Moore & Howe taking the tall forwards.

I could see us playing the 4 tallish defenders when we verse the Eagles. Apart from that we would be too tall.
Scharenberg is the same height as Crisp. He doesn’t have to play tall, nor does Howe.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Varcoe again virtually no impact apart from a nice smother

In: Elliot

Out: Varcoe
I don’t know why everybody has it in for Varcoe. It was two smothers in the first quarter to set the tone for the game. Was clean and tidy when did have the ball, the fact our pressure indicators were off the charts, causing turnovers galore is in large part due to Trav and Thomo’s pressure in the forward line! He is everywhere, his role is not to get possessions, but to expend energy in creating turnovers of which there were plenty.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Scharenberg is the same height as Crisp. He doesn’t have to play tall, nor does Howe.
He’s no where near as quick as Crisp though.

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I've been 50/50, but I am now convinced that Cox is ahead of Reid.

Reid will probably kick more goals and get a bit more of the football. And honestly, I don't think Cox's ruckwork is much better than Reid. But Cox draws so many defenders to him. When he plays, our smalls become far more potent. Nine goals between De Goey, Stephenson and WHE is a great return, and Stevo should have kicked 5 minimum.

The only question is whether we experiment with both Cox and Reid, but I think that's unlikely. It seems to me that Reid is now very good coverage in case Cox is injured. That in itself serves a great purpose, as we got through the last 6 weeks fairly well and only lost 1 game in this time. So Reid did his job.

Cox is just such a unique prospect. He adds fear to opposition defences. Even if he isn't having a big game, multiple defenders are drawn to him simply because of the fear he will take a contested mark.

How anyone can consider dropping Brown before Thomas is beyond belief. Brown has had 49 tackles in 10 games where as Thomas has had 20 in 12 games.

Yesterday, Thomas did not have any tackles.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Reckon Howe can play as a small defender. He gets beaten by bigger blokes who have the size advantage but if it’s Howe who has the advantage over a smaller opponent I reckon he could do a great job. Howe also has the speed to run with the opposition’s quickest units (like Hunt yesterday - Greenwood was torched by foot). He doesn’t have to use it much as a defender but he is one of our fastest going around.

Reckon Howe can play as a small defender. He gets beaten by bigger blokes who have the size advantage but if it’s Howe who has the advantage over a smaller opponent I reckon he could do a great job. Howe also has the speed to run with the opposition’s quickest units (like Hunt yesterday - Greenwood was torched by foot). He doesn’t have to use it much as a defender but he is one of our fastest going around.
Hunt only had 9 possessions and was largely ineffectual for all but 5 minutes of the third quarter.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood

Tom Langdon and Matt Scharenberg are practically the the same height. I like the marking ability they both bring to the table

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've been 50/50, but I am now convinced that Cox is ahead of Reid.

Reid will probably kick more goals and get a bit more of the football. And honestly, I don't think Cox's ruckwork is much better than Reid. But Cox draws so many defenders to him. When he plays, our smalls become far more potent. Nine goals between De Goey, Stephenson and WHE is a great return, and Stevo should have kicked 5 minimum.

The only question is whether we experiment with both Cox and Reid, but I think that's unlikely. It seems to me that Reid is now very good coverage in case Cox is injured. That in itself serves a great purpose, as we got through the last 6 weeks fairly well and only lost 1 game in this time. So Reid did his job.

Cox is just such a unique prospect. He adds fear to opposition defences. Even if he isn't having a big game, multiple defenders are drawn to him simply because of the fear he will take a contested mark.
Spot on. We seem to free players up more when Cox is playing.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's pretty simple with Cox - he is just too tall and mobile to be ignored plus his second efforts at ground level and tackling are astonishing for such a tall and gangling man.

They HAVE to put their best on him, plus have another coming 'over the back' and another in front clogging up his leading patterns.

That's three players including the ace defender tied up so of course it frees up our swoop squad.

But FMD I'm tired of seeing him manhandled and blocked illegally with no penalty. The AFL are well aware it's going on as last year proved but unless they are put under the spotlight they refuse to give him a break.

Apr 5, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surprised Phillips hasn't had much attention on here. Thought he had a bad game yesterday and had multiple clangers. Even though Aish played well yesterday I still think he's our weekest link and can't hold his spot when Langdon and Shaz return. Thomas plays a completely different role and just edges Aish out. As for our most vulnerable I place them in the following debatable order.

Varcoe
Aish
Thomas
Phillips
Brown (don't want to see him dropped as he's an important player for our future).

Considering Stevo had 3 tackles I reckon Degoey needs to work on his defensive game after another donut.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surprised Phillips hasn't had much attention on here. Thought he had a bad game yesterday and had multiple clangers. Even though Aish played well yesterday I still think he's our weekest link and can't hold his spot when Langdon and Shaz return. Thomas plays a completely different role and just edges Aish out. As for our most vulnerable I place them in the following debatable order.

Varcoe
Aish
Thomas
Phillips
Brown (don't want to see him dropped as he's an important player for our future).

Considering Stevo had 3 tackles I reckon Degoey needs to work on his defensive game after another donut.

Don't need to tackle them if you don't allow them to take possession of the footy. His body work was sensational off limited opportunity.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I knew your judgement was dodgy when I read your user name. Why American mustard? Do you really prefer it to French? Or even that smoking English stuff?
Hot English

Everything else mustard is just being a toy mustard

Surely :)

Jul 25, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers
Doubt Brown will be dropped, he is rated elite for his tacking (4.9 per game) and pressure acts. On output you'd think it's JT or Varcoe, but Elliot is rated below average with regards to his pressure and tackling which is a concern IMO given he is small/quick and should be better in that area.

Pie thon

Senior List
Oct 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
In: Elliot / Adams (if fit)

Out: Varcoe / Brown (for Adams)

...And Shaz looming for Greenwood or Aish's spot in the background

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Not sure why we can't play Roughead, Howe, Moore and Scharenberg. I see Shaz as basically the same sort of player Langdon is. So it's just Scharenberg in for Langdon.

Aish has been holding up that role in Langdon's absence. So perhaps it might mean Aish gets pushed out. Or perhaps Bucks is happier to have a smaller backline because Aish adds a bit more offensively whilst still been a very good mark above his head. But I think Shaz has better skills anyway and is stronger body on body. Greenwood is the other who has been playing back pocket that could perhaps be moved more into the midfield.

Point is, that there is no issue fitting Shaz in with the other talls.

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I think at this stage that Varcoe is going to struggle to hold his spot, which will pave way for Elliott.

If the final spot is a battle between Brown or JT, i think Brown has him shaded at the moment because he goes on ball more, and is higher rated in pressure acts. I reckon JT is well and truly out of form right now.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure why we can't play Roughead, Howe, Moore and Scharenberg. I see Shaz as basically the same sort of player Langdon is. So it's just Scharenberg in for Langdon.

Aish has been holding up that role in Langdon's absence. So perhaps it might mean Aish gets pushed out. Or perhaps Bucks is happier to have a smaller backline because Aish adds a bit more offensively whilst still been a very good mark above his head. But I think Shaz has better skills anyway and is stronger body on body. Greenwood is the other who has been playing back pocket that could perhaps be moved more into the midfield.

Point is, that there is no issue fitting Shaz in with the other talls.

Difference being that Langdon (despite what many on BF proclaim) is actually bloody quick for his size. I don't have an issue with us playing the 4x taller types but it needs to be opposition dependent if you're including Shaz in that rather than Langdon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back