Patrick Cripps

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst it was a great individual effort the truth is a few players have torn Brisbane apart individually this year. Just off the top of my head we had the young Rozee with 21 disposals and 5 goals and Tippa with 20 disposals 7 goals, They are pretty vulnerable in defense when things aren't going their way.

I personally don't regard Cripps as the best in the comp and I see this performance as being a clear outlier to his normal level in much the same way that Rozee and Tippa ain't putting out those performances each week either (in fact neither has gotten close). Cripps has actually been pretty ordinary the last month, starting with getting dominated by De Boer where he only get 12 touches, then he had a reasonable game 28 touches vs Saints and then got destroyed by a 2nd gamer, being held to only 11 touches whilst Clarke racked up 24. You wouldn't say any of those games were even AA calibre, 2 of them were downright terrible.

Frankly if he was the best in the comp off his last month, it would be a pretty **** comp. This is just normal reactionary stuff. If he regularly goes on and puts in massive performances from here then sure maybe he can get to that level but right now its way more hype than actual performance.
Better player than any on your list ..and you hate that fact

Difference is, they have teammates. Cripps doesn't. Against both GWS and Essendon, not once did his teammates decide to give him a chop. If he doesn't do it, it was never going to happen and he came out and admitted it got too much.
Lmao, you got that from what I said?

You're putting words into my mouth to suit your argument.

I never said I'd put an asterisk next to his Brownlow (should he win it) nor did I say he's average.

I said he shouldn't be considered the best in the game. Since coming to Geelong, in 2016, Dangerfield has recorded under 20 disposals three times. Coniglio has done it 4 times in 4 years. Mitchell like 2 times in 2 years. I don't think the best in the game should record 11 and then 12 disposals and get spanked by 40+pts both games.

Also since when does a great 1-2 year run make you the best in the game? Make the claim when he does it for years on end like Ablett, Danger, Mitchell, Fyfe etc

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree with your points, but you have to exclude Mitchell from your argument. Whilst he is a gun, he has not done it for the period the others have, which is your point against Cripps.

Mitchell is an accumulator... he is not a Danger, Dusty, Fyfe, Pendles league. Think Cripps will join that league one day, but don't think Mitchell will.
Since 2016. He technically dropped below 25 in 2017 but we can round that up.

Danger has averaged 27+ since 2015 and then averaged 25 and 27 in 2012 and 2014. With 1 Brownlow, 1 MVP, 6x AA, 3x B&F and 1 AFLCA Champion player awards in that time.

Fyfe has averaged 26+ since 2012 barring 2016 where he played 5 games and broke his leg and averaged 25 in 2011. With 1 Brownlow, 2x MVP, 2x AA, 2x B&F in that time.

Mitchell has averaged 27+ since 2015 going 27, 28, 36 and 35 averages in those years. With 1 Brownlow, 1 MVP, 2x AA and 2x B&F in that time.

Dusty has averaged 25+ since 2014 with his peak hitting 31. With 1 flag, 1 Norm Smith, 1 Brownlow, 1 MVP, 3x AA, 2x B&F and 1 AFLCA Champion player.

Cripps is a ******* great player but he's not the best in the league.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The guy is obviously a gun, but it's tough to tell just how good he is due to the caliber of players around him. Cripps is Carlton's #1 target when they have the ball so naturally they're giving it to him a lot (when he's not winning it himself). Hopefully over the next few years (even though it pains me as a Tiger to say this) when Carlton get better, we'll be able to see the true value of Cripps as a player when he has a team/midfield around him that aren't complete potatoes

One good game huh ? You really do know your football lol
If you read the comment in the context it was actually made, then you'd understand what I was saying.

What I mean is that he was shunned heavily and unfairly last week for having a poor performance and that isn't the norm, just like this week he is praised heavily despite this performance not being the norm. He is the best in the competition but as the OP originally was titled, he isn't 'daylight' ahead of the next best.

Really want to dislike him being Carlton and all but heard him on Pendles podcast. He’s an absolute gentleman

He comes across as a pretty down to earth, good natured bloke. Stuttered badly during interviews when he first came to the club, but obviously put a bit of work into it and has more confidence now.

What I like most are the stories you hear about the extra he does to improve his game. Hiring a sprint coach in the offseason for example. Or dissecting not only his own game each week, but those of the league’s best mids too.

Best mid in the comp for me, when there are 100+ stoppages a game, a gun in and under mid is one of the most important players to have, then add in hes kicking goals and winning a bit elsewhere.
Like Dusty in 2017 - Around the stoppages and congestion lifting the team and then kicking goals, Sam Mitchell the king for me in this department - vital for those 4 flags

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps is a fantastic player.

All that being said, not completely sold on him as a leader after the weekend. Astounding game, but where was that for Bolton? Where was that from any of the blokes out on the field?

You're reading way too far into it. He just had a shocker, it wasn't a 'protest' or anything. Every great player has one every now and then. Prior to being tagged out of the game the other week, he's been putting in fantastic performances. Cripps is comfortably in the best 2-3 midfielders in the competition.

All that being said, not completely sold on him as a leader after the weekend. Astounding game, but where was that for Bolton? Where was that from any of the blokes out on the field?
WOW such an ill-informed post.

Problem was it was ONLY Cripps. He did everything he could to drag everyone with him.

The commentary coming out that the players were coached to an inch of their lives, but Cripps did it all.

The two weeks prior it was a case of being broken. He tried everything. When teams tried their best to simply work on Cripps and not a single other player thought we need to cover here, or we need to work off the ball to give Cripps a chop out, shows you were all our other players were at (and probably still are).... however Cripps was always and has always been the exception.

All those last week who scoffed at suggestions he had Bolton sacked, show yourselves.

Remarkable performance, coincidental timing no doubt. Blues should put him on the coaching sub-committee.
I tend to believe it was not at all a coincidence but as much as I appreciated his game and his output, I still love Docherty and Bolton

Are people seriously potting this bloke because he had 3 bad games this year? Wtf? Would hate to work for any of you, I'd get sacked immediately.

Seriously though, imo if you don't rate or like Cripps you're not a true footy fan and should merely stick to watching your own club or else you'll be miserable and not rate anyone. Most of us grew up idolising tough, hard, inspiring, loyal players. Due to the AFL and a new generation we don't have that many these days; Cripps is a ripper though. Plays footy the right way, is a leader, doesn't whinge, doesn't go over the top with his popularity like Dangerfield, goes in hard, runs both ways and loves laying a tackle - he's 5th in league as well as being a major ball winner, high (ish) possession winner and goal-kicker. He is one of the Brownlow favourites for a reason.

Bloody Bigfooty - complain about the softness of AFL flat out then when one of the toughest blokes of the past decade announces himself nobody is willing to give credit or enjoy it.

Listen to his podcast with Pendles, it's a good listen.

He won 2xBnF's under Bolton. Also was an AA midfielder last year along with being 4th in the brownlow and.......... ah forget it.

Fyfe, Dangerfield, Martin, Grundy, Gawn, Cunnington, Mitchell, T. Kelly. There's eight off the top of my head.
Buzz it's so clear that amongst this thread and other threads that you have some weird agenda against Cripps which is truly bizarre. If you're a true footy fan you love blokes like Cripps - plays footy the old fashioned right way.

He's been as good as Kelly for longer, Tom Mitchell isn't even playing... Cunnington - similar in stats and I love the guy but seriously? You think Cunnington is better? Martin as in Dusty? He hasn't reached his Judd-esque 2017 heights since early last year.

Cripps is on track for the Brownlow and another starting AA midfield spot, but he's not even close to a top 5 player? How???? What would he have to do for you to rate him as one? Serious question.

No he's not. Today was an exception and he was excellent, but far too often he goes missing when the game is on the line. Part of the reason Carlton are where they are at on the ladder.
Oh this is bad

Nobody is arguing Cripps isn't a star. He is. But he can't be considered the best player in the league when he goes missing in the big moments. Yesterday was an exception. I was super impressed, particularly after the Collingwood game when he got one touch in the final ten minutes and his disappearing act cost Carlton the match.

I think to be considered a top 5 player in the game, yesterday's last quarter should be the norm rather than the exception.

What ridiculous hyperbole. You have a very, very selective memory. There have been many individual performances over the past twenty five years better than what Cripps did yesterday.

Oh wow this is also pretty embarassing. In the Collingwood game he he had 10 touches and 1.1 in the final quarter, for you to rate him as 'stepping up' he needs to have 20 touches and 2.2 in the final quarter? Wtf? Who does that? This isn't NBA where you can just flick on beast mode all the time - there are 43 other blokes out there. He has stepped up in all our close losses - go watch some games since 2015 and you will understand.

So to be a top 5 player in the game he needs to be having 38 and kicking 4 every week - tell me please, who at the moment is currently doing that? Nobody. So nobody is a top 5 player right now, good logic.

It's just disappointing - we clearly have a super impressive kid all round who is captaining a struggling side at the age of 24 doing incredible things. Great to watch and most mutual fans I know are turning the TV on just to watch him, dunno why you can't just enjoy him and give the kid credit.

Just stop. You're even getting hate from Carlton-hating posters, you're flat out wrong on this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back