Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Tim Kelly is only on 180K a year hence why he is wanting a trade out. Nothing to do with going home it was just a tactic last year to try get more money given he is mature age already the more money the better. If Geelong lose Kelly they can't afford Coniglio in the Cap however Jack Steven might be very cheap this year given the risk.
You do know that Kelly was in his first season after five failed previous attempts to be drafted. His salary was actually spot on for a first year recruit who played every game. Obvioulsy it is going to cost the WA clubs an arm and a leg to get him back, but Geelong know exaclty what he will be worth for 2020 and beyond. Kelly had no tactics in play, he genuiely thought he was going to be drafted by West Coast or Freo who had four picks between them before Geelong pounced and with Liam Ryan taken at pick 26 there was no guarantee he was ever going to be picked by either team? He will get 800k a year for sure in 2020, if he wins the Brownlow he might get 1Million a year? Tim Kelly is very happy at Geelong, but it has everything to do with family and the go home factor. The big winner will be Tim Kelly if a deal can be struck? It's going to cost one of these clubs a helluva lot to get him back in WA!

dazdoggy

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
You do know that Kelly was in his first season after five failed previous attempts to be drafted. His salary was actually spot on for a first year recruit who played every game. Obvioulsy it is going to cost the WA clubs an arm and a leg to get him back, but Geelong know exaclty what he will be worth for 2020 and beyond. Kelly had no tactics in play, he genuiely thought he was going to be drafted by West Coast or Freo who had four picks between them before Geelong pounced and with Liam Ryan taken at pick 26 there was no guarantee he was ever going to be picked by either team? He will get 800k a year for sure in 2020, if he wins the Brownlow he might get 1Million a year? Tim Kelly is very happy at Geelong, but it has everything to do with family and the go home factor. The big winner will be Tim Kelly if a deal can be struck? It's going to cost one of these clubs a helluva lot to get him back in WA!
My point was he tried to walk out on Geelong to get 650k a year at West Coast as a change of club means a new contract instead Geelong refused to trade him (rightfully so) and he had to play for 180k this year. When his contract is up for renewal where is the extra 600 - 700k coming from?

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
So Tim Kelly is out of contract this year. How much would he demand? What would geelong want?

I know what Geelong possibly want. Thats a Ruckman. We do have Sean Darcy who is from Geelong. I am very reluctant to trade him as he is in next in Line for Sandlands spot.

My point was he tried to walk out on Geelong to get 650k a year at West Coast as a change of club means a new contract instead Geelong refused to trade him (rightfully so) and he had to play for 180k this year. When his contract is up for renewal where is the extra 600 - 700k coming from?
From 2 methods.....

1. the Salary cap naturally increases by 5-7% a year. Didnt it increase by 1-2 million a year ago? Probably will rise by $500-600,000 again in 2019.

2. Geelong Might have some old guys that are on $500-600,000 a year that might retire this season. Also Teams do de-list their usual 4-8 players a year and some could be on $300-400,000 a year too.

Zac Smith OOC on about 400k per year.
Harry Taylor OOC and on about the same - may be more as I remember his 5 year deal being back ended.

There is 2 off the top. Now of HT stays again on a 1 year deal as his form reflects - it will be less as is the GFC way. There is good SC space at KP.

GO Catters

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Freo looking like a contender surely means Kelly would be happy at either WA club?

TripleJay

Debutant
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Freo looking like a contender surely means Kelly would be happy at either WA club?

Hard to say. From what I heard in Perth, there were personal issues that were the cause of him not wanting to play at Freo, whether issue with staff member or current player, I never heard anything more than a vague rumour. No actual details.

If he is happy at either club then potential bidding war. Good for Geelong. Else West Coast and Geelong will play hardball with one another.

Right now both West Coast and Geelong supporters feel entitled to him and think the trade should be slanted massively in their clubs favour. Don't expect a reasoned reply from either side in regards to potential trades.

dazdoggy

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
So Tim Kelly is out of contract this year. How much would he demand? What would geelong want?

I know what Geelong possibly want. Thats a Ruckman. We do have Sean Darcy who is from Geelong. I am very reluctant to trade him as he is in next in Line for Sandlands spot.

From 2 methods.....

1. the Salary cap naturally increases by 5-7% a year. Didnt it increase by 1-2 million a year ago? Probably will rise by $500-600,000 again in 2019.

2. Geelong Might have some old guys that are on $500-600,000 a year that might retire this season. Also Teams do de-list their usual 4-8 players a year and some could be on $300-400,000 a year too.
Harry Taylor OOC and on about the same - may be more as I remember his 5 year deal being back ended.

There is 2 off the top. Now of HT stays again on a 1 year deal as his form reflects - it will be less as is the GFC way. There is good SC space at KP.

GO Catters
You also have a lot of players on unders so will be interesting to see who gets pushed out. Hard to see Kelly leaving if gets same pay.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers

GO Catters
Well there you go....

My Prediction will be Kelly stay at the cats and to sign a 3 year deal at $500,000 a year.

Cats now remind me of The Cats and Magpies of 2009-11: Both were in the top 4 but kept the salary cap and playing squad tight.

Right now, I dont see any cats players on 1 million a year. I see a lot of cats players on $500-650,000 a year.

$650,000 a year is exactly $12,500 a week. Still a fair bit of cash. Its better than centrelink wages.

sorry about that..... but back on the topic, geelong got enough money for jack steven?
Jack is a good player but he can't kick, he is 30 and has off the field issues. Surely money wouldn't be a motivating factor for a move for him? I couldn't see Geelong committing much to get him to the club either, I'm assuming a token draft pick to the Saints and a mid to low range wage for Jack.

Oct 9, 2004
Phuket
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Scorpions West Ham
Oh look another Geelong supporter lowballing a player they want whilst demanding overs for an out of contract player that wants to return home.

Last edited:

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
It’s a touchy subject. Sure there are players that have genuine mental health issues, but it’s hard to know if it’s a disguise for drug problems in other cases. The media will never call it out, so it’s left to the people to speculate.
Take a look at the case of Josh Gordon. The guy took time off last year due to ‘mental health issues’. However it’s well-documented that he has addiction problems and this time-off was due to such problems. I know this is NFL, but what’s to say it doesn’t happen in our sport too

Tim Kelly is only on 180K a year hence why he is wanting a trade out. Nothing to do with going home it was just a tactic last year to try get more money given he is mature age already the more money the better. If Geelong lose Kelly they can't afford Coniglio in the Cap however Jack Steven might be very cheap this year given the risk.
Yes we can. Kelly has a $900,000 deal on the table from Geelong.

I cant keep up. Can someone DM me what is up with Jack Steven?

Pls no Tim Kelly DMs
Only guessing but i think he has depression, my memory is fuzzy but i think he had a short break in either 2017 or 2018 and now the issues have come back.

Steven is very much a private man and possibly being in Melbourne has made it worse.

Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Exers
Only guessing but i think he has depression, my memory is fuzzy but i think he had a short break in either 2017 or 2018 and now the issues have come back.

Steven is very much a private man and possibly being in Melbourne has made it worse.
Yeah i get thats the public speak but i know there is something underlying and i want to know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back