The small forward line is Dead - Viva la revolucion

Remove this Banner Ad

This is perhaps the best thing I have ever read.

Not sure if you are too kind or you need to get out more, perhaps the former:D

Its funny that a rule introduced to help ball movement out of D50 and increase scoring has actually just diminished an existing avenue for scoring.
Scoring patterns always fluctuate. Scoring from D50 has been down since 2017. Scoring from F50 turnovers is down this year. But the one avenue that always exists is scoring from stoppages. The Fremantle game has been our best this season where scoring almost purely came from stoppages. We might not have a dominant ruckman or big bodied mid but Hawthorn has proven over the years you just need variety in your clearances. It worked when we sent Vlastuin in there to mix it up. Now we need to give Rioli/Castagna/Bolton/Butler/Higgins a run in the middle too to apply that pressure where its needed most.
Add Baker/Aarts to that list too. Its an excess of the same type (180cm). Higgins and Baker play a bit higher don't they? Higgins form has dropped of late. I'm coming round to the idea of playing Chol (CJ injured) up fwd with Lynch in place of a small. Until JR returns. Houli/Ellis/Prestia/Sheds/Stack/Short are very similar so even if Stack is thrown into the middle its more of the same body type. Menadue & Markov are the size I want but haven't worked out (Menadue never gets played in the right spot ~wing, so never has good games) Vlas worked OK but we lost marking down back. & Caddy not really doing it. So Balta into the middle adds height; Chol to the fwd line adds height. And they can give Soldo a chop out in ruck duties. Hopefully he improves in his general play.
PS Might be time to move Sheds out of the backline. He is needed up the field

Playing with three small forwards hasn't been working for us, but I reckon the resting mid / medium forward has been the more disappointing position. It's taken Dusty brilliance to get anything from that position this season. Hard to believe we got 46 goals out of 22 games from Caddy last season. His running at 10 goals from 9 this year.

Playing with three small forwards hasn't been working for us, but I reckon the resting mid / medium forward has been the more disappointing position. It's taken Dusty brilliance to get anything from that position this season. Hard to believe we got 46 goals out of 22 games from Caddy last season. His running at 10 goals from 9 this year.
Yep more dynamic forward line is req , Coll have a good mix with med and tall , good aerial strength . Moore would have been interesting as he plays like Stephenson does , imho we’ve ****ed up not trialling him at senior level whilst we have persevered with smalls that have floundered all year
I hope chol comes in as he can help change the forward setup and go ruck and allow balta to play midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back