Opinion Will Geelong's boutique home ground ruin the Cats final chances?

Your record at the MCG is not flash, barely above 50% in a winning era.Why did the club not change the ground dimensions during the latest construction to something less radical?
Haha very Richmond-like to call a period of time with no flags a "winning era"

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
I do think it's unfair to all the other Victorian clubs as they have to play their home games at the dockland or the G.
In what way is it unfair? Didn't those clubs have a choice? Didn't they sell out for cash? Stop blaming Geelong for your club's lack of foresight.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
It's actually thinner on the Moorabool St side.This photo is a few years old. They could make the street further away theoretically.

Yep, great thinking, they can just transform one of Geelong's busiest roads from dual lane to single lane for about a km around Kardinia Park. Wow, I wonder why no-one has ever thought of that before?

Maybe the city of Geelong could just bulldoze it and Geelong FC could play all their home games out of Marvel and the MCG. That is what you're fishing for isn't it?

Have you ever been to Kardinia Park? I highly doubt it judging from your bizarro commentary on it.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
You've got an unfair advantage and it gets you to the finals ,you struggle to win finals at the G for whatever reason.
Going by that argument West Coast have an unfair advantage then. Because they’ve got a great record at Optus Stadium and prior to 2018 seemed to really struggle at the G. Also, what about Richmond having an unfair advantage at the G? When playing against all those non MCG tenants?

Your argument also ends up contradicting itself; you say they have an ‘unfair’ advantage, yet when they get to the G they can’t win? Wouldn’t that be better for MCG tenants?

Also, I don’t think you’ve really explained why from 2007-2011 they probably didn’t lose a final at the G in their premiership years. Maybe they were just a better side?

And finally, WTF is it with Richmond supporters arcing up at Geelong fans? Is there even a rivalry bar the 2017 QF? Imagine if Hawthorn fans started up with everyone they’d beaten in finals?

You just need to drop it.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Socrates your standard Richmond troll account starts thread. demondavey your standard nuffie tries to point score on the back of it, followed by a bunch of clowns who take it all seriously.

Just a normal day on bigfooty.
kozi

Point scoring off what? Pointing out illogical and baseless arguments? I’ve been critical of Geelong fans in the past, of every fan base even, and I’ve also spent plenty of time getting behind Richmond. How could you not call Richmond an elite side after 2017 and 2018?

Even the thread; Are Geelong unbeatable? is a circle jerk toss fest. Created prematurely. Who is to say Richmond won’t be premiers? 11 games to go is it? 3 months of footy plus finals. No reason to say Richmond can’t be top 4.

It’s amateur hour articles like this that are made by ‘professional’ journalists that create this perpetual sure thing mentality without much fundamental understanding of the game.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-10/six-things-we-learned-from-round-12

I don’t need to point score. I just know that Geelong don’t have an unfair advantage at KP when the GF isn’t even played there o_O

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Going by that argument West Coast have an unfair advantage then. Because they’ve got a great record at Optus Stadium and prior to 2018 seemed to really struggle at the G. Also, what about Richmond having an unfair advantage at the G? When playing against all those non MCG tenants?

Your argument also ends up contradicting itself; you say they have an ‘unfair’ advantage, yet when they get to the G they can’t win? Wouldn’t that be better for MCG tenants?

Also, I don’t think you’ve really explained why from 2007-2011 they probably didn’t lose a final at the G in their premiership years. Maybe they were just a better side?

And finally, WTF is it with Richmond supporters arcing up at Geelong fans? Is there even a rivalry bar the 2017 QF? Imagine if Hawthorn fans started up with everyone they’d beaten in finals?

You just need to drop it.
West Coast have to travel over 2000km so it's totally different.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Nah, just let wannabe moderator, demondavey, review them all for us.
The Main Board shouldn't turn into a haven for duplication if the same topic. Geelong are playing well, can they win the Premiership? We don't need a variation of this question on a week by week basis.

Personally, I think their main issue is that the last four teams to take this sort of dominant in season form into the finals have all ended up empty handed (Freo 2015, Pies 2011, Saints 2009 and Cats 2008). It doesn't need its own topic. Just post it on the current one. Are we that devoid of thoughts on the game that we need to focus on 35 variations on the question about Geelong's ability to win games in 3 months?

That's the other scary thing, we're 12 weeks away from answers to all this rhetoric.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Any new Geelong thread should be mod-reviewed for duplication. It's getting ridiculous.
What are you talking about? There's a thread called will Tom Lynch ruin Richmond on the MB? Bigfooty is awash with Geelong supporters you represent 1/18th of all clubs.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Trivia Question, have West Coast ever played Geelong at the MCG in a H&A match? I'm thinking no. Are the 92 and 94 Grand Finals the only time Eagles have played Geelong at the MCG or was there another final some time?

Nope.

4 finals at the MCG, 1 final at Waverley, 1 H&A game at Waverley in 1991. The rest at Kardinia Park.

Geelong used to play 9 or 10 home games a year at Kardinia Park until Docklands came along. From 2000-2006 they played no home games at the MCG and from 2007 onward have played a couple most years. Haven't played all home games at KP since before Waverley was built.

If you are going to have home games in Melbourne it makes no commercial sense to have them against non-Victorian teams.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nope.

4 finals at the MCG, 1 final at Waverley, 1 H&A game at Waverley in 1991. The rest at Kardinia Park.

Geelong used to play 9 or 10 home games a year at Kardinia Park until Docklands came along. From 2000-2006 they played no home games at the MCG and from 2007 onward have played a couple most years. Haven't played all home games at KP since before Waverley was built.

If you are going to have home games in Melbourne it makes no commercial sense to have them against non-Victorian teams.
Geelong d WC in the 2011 PF at the MCG.

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Ok...... problem solved?
Look I've said this before, but being forced to play at a radical shaped ground where half your team has never played, seems an unfair advantage to Geelong. West Coast had zero chance of getting the 4 points this year and to me it skews the fair balance of the comp.I'm not alone in these thoughts.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Look I've said this before, but being forced to play at a radical shaped ground where half your team has never played, seems an unfair advantage to Geelong. West Coast had zero chance of getting the 4 points this year and to me it skews the fair balance of the comp.I'm not alone in these thoughts.
But aren’t all grounds a bit different?

Back