Delisted #37: Dylan Clarke - End of the road, will not be offered a list spot in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I dare say Clarke didn’t get the Cripps we saw today.
Maybe Cripps was simply deflated against us, knowing the writing was on the wall for Bolts, who he probably had a pretty good relationship with, but realizing more and more as the game went on, that they would lose. I'm saying this without bothering to look at his first quarter numbers. I found it distasteful that the club appeared to force Cripps to say that the club was right to sack him, at a presser.

Maybe Cripps was simply deflated against us, knowing the writing was on the wall for Bolts, who he probably had a pretty good relationship with, but realizing more and more as the game went on, that they would lose. I'm saying this without bothering to look at his first quarter numbers. I found it distasteful that the club appeared to force Cripps to say that the club was right to sack him, at a presser.

Oh yeah, no doubt there would have been some mental stuff going on with the pressure Bolts was facing. I’m not surprised in the slightest that Cripps bounced back like this.

Amazing how resistant some coaches have been to tagging. Yesterday Neale has 24 possessions to HT, then Teague decides to ask Ed Curnow to tag him and Neale has just 7 touches in second half and Blues dominate clearances.

Bolton would insist on playing Curnow half forward.

Tagging never should have gone out of vogue as it is, especially when you can tag somebody out of the game and still pick up 25-30 touches yourself.
The flip side is where the tagger has no effect and isn't getting touches himself. An example being a couple of years ago collingwood had a tagger that was getting media hype, he went to Hepp who had 30+ touches at 3/4 time at which point Buckley gave up on the tag(I think Hepp slowed down in the last). In that case the tag was like playing a man down.

The flip side is where the tagger has no effect and isn't getting touches himself. An example being a couple of years ago collingwood had a tagger that was getting media hype, he went to Hepp who had 30+ touches at 3/4 time at which point Buckley gave up on the tag(I think Hepp slowed down in the last). In that case the tag was like playing a man down.

This is what makes Clarke’s game impressive for me; Cripps is a quality player and whatever reason he had, Clarke was able to both limit the impact Cripps had on the game and win his own ball.

Clarke isn’t ever likely to be a superstar, but if he can win his own ball, dish out to guys like Shiel or Merrett, and be able to play a role and shutdown an opposition mid then there’s a place for him in the side.

If his kicking isn’t elite then so what?

afl . com intimating Clarke could get squeezed out for the star ins'

Woosh said it was a 'good question' when asked if Clarke would play, failing to guarantee his selection.

Question would be, does it send a mixed message if you get dropped after doing the job you were asked?

afl . com intimating Clarke could get squeezed out for the star ins'

Woosh said it was a 'good question' when asked if Clarke would play, failing to guarantee his selection.

Question would be, does it send a mixed message if you get dropped after doing the job you were asked?
Surely not. Please god no. Ridley all over again.
How to live in the past, dissolve the ego and break down the self by John Worsfold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t be at all like Worsfold to do something shortsighted and narrow minded.

It would be interesting to compare Dylan’s GPS numbers with Ryan’s. Ryan Clarke did 17 kms on the weekend

I don't think it would be outrageous at all for him to get dropped. I don't want him out but it's definitely a chance he is dropped. He came in, did his job & they know what they're gonna get with Dyl. I love him but he's limited as a player offensively, he did a great job on Cripps but he may be in & out where they see a match up for him as a tagger. There's a role for him doing it this week but Shiel, Stringer & Fantasia are in and blokes have to miss out. Considering team balance, who are they going to drop for Shiel? Going to be a mid unless they move Parish forward again & drop one of the forwards (which would be a disastrous step backward) and have a reshuffle there. If they drop a mid, is it going to be Heppell, Merrett, McGrath, Parish, Zaharakis or Clarke? On form, you could argue Zaka should go but I just can't see it happening. Hope he stays.

Last edited:
This board will implode if he's omitted after dominating the best player in the game
Itd probably explode if Merrett, Parish or Shiel were left out as well. Guelfi seems to be 50% whipping boy 50% kid that has to get games so I guess the board would only half explode if you dropped him. Myers is already dropped. I guess we could drop Heppell. He’s 80% whipping boy 20% 26yo hack captain so that’d probably have the least amount of backlash..

I guess it’s a good thing selection decisions aren’t based on figbooty outrage.

Itd probably explode if Merrett, Parish or Shiel were left out as well. Guelfi seems to be 50% whipping boy 50% kid that has to get games so I guess the board would only half explode if you dropped him. Myers is already dropped. I guess we could drop Heppell. He’s 80% whipping boy 20% 26yo hack captain so that’d probably have the least amount of backlash..

You lose points for not mentioning Heppell needing a haircut

logic be damned, i'm going to nuffy out if he misses

Remove this Banner Ad

Back