Preview Round 14 - Geelong vs its mental demons (a.k.a. The post-bye) and also Port, Saturday 22 June @ 7:40pm @ AO

Will Geelong win post-bye?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
No need. Mocking is my thing, but I don't mean anything by it.
I apologise also.

It's all good.

I'm usually measured and considered with my responses, but allowed irritation from external causes to influence my response on this occasion. Poor form from me.

Anyhow, back to topic...... I'm nervously excited to see what form we bring post bye. It's been a significant issue for us in recent years. Can we overcome it?

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
With which I totally agree.

Others are adamantly opposed. Their right.
Geeze you have some passive aggresiveness. I called you out, you had nothing to back it up and so whinge about it.

Get over it. They are not going to replace a hbf with a hff.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
It's all good.

I'm usually measured and considered with my responses, but allowed irritation from external causes to influence my response on this occasion. Poor form from me.

Anyhow, back to topic...... I'm nervously excited to see what form we bring post bye. It's been a significant issue for us in recent years. Can we overcome it?

Think it’s actually a bit of a general issue league wide. Weeks off don’t seem to be giving huge advantages... the team who goes through to prelim since the round 23 bye was brought into play only has won 50/50...

The huge advantage of top four had drastically being Deminished and the extra rest is not an advantage... however the AFL wants equality and they have it

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
If he's overcome injury he's a walk up start. He is one of the fittest players on our list and an important part of the team. Neither Clark or Tuohy are playing well enough and Clark isn't a midfielder.
No he isn't. He is playing for some of the tightest spots on the list. He doesn't just swap out someone in a completely different position because he is Sam Menegola.

No he isn't. He is playing for some of the tightest spots on the list. He doesn't just swap out someone in a completely different position because he is Sam Menegola.
Clark has been playing in the midfield though

darrenmorgan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

I thought his form this year pre injury was pretty patchy anyway. Clark will tire at some point and that will be his way back in. He ain’t replacing 2E. that said I love what Clark brings and would love to have him up and running and in the team late in the year. AnywAy, all good problems.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Geeze you have some passive aggresiveness. I called you out, you had nothing to back it up and so whinge about it.

Get over it. They are not going to replace a hbf with a hff.

no PA at all. And I didn't whinge at all. But I appreciate you keeping an eye on me and all 😀

As I said - and I'll say once more - it was my opinion, which you haven't changed. Your opinion takes the opposite view, which you're entitled to.

Nothing wrong with a difference of opinion.

I chose not to continue the conversation as I could see it becoming circular, very quickly, and there is no benefit in that.

If Sav doesn’t come up
I gather that it was more in the nature of a twinge, and he was kept off the ground as a precautionary measure. Good time for a week off for a few players - Sav, Sel & Danger.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
no PA at all. And I didn't whinge at all. But I appreciate you keeping an eye on me and all 😀

As I said - and I'll say once more - it was my opinion, which you haven't changed. Your opinion takes the opposite view, which you're entitled to.

Nothing wrong with a difference of opinion.

I chose not to continue the conversation as I could see it becoming circular, very quickly, and there is no benefit in that.
You made two or three posts about being taken to task over the Tuohy criticisms you made, completely in isolation.

If you want it to end, don't refer back to it passive aggressively.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Get Smith in, he needs at least a few AFL games in case Stanley goes down in finals.

Smith is easily the best footballer of Buzza, Fort, Abbott and him but he's probably the least capable up forward. I'm loathe to shift Stanley away from #1 ruck role when he's in career best form, but it seems to be the only role Smith can play.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Where is Jed Bews currently at by the way?

Is there a place for him in the back 6 at the moment with Blicavs, Stewart, Kolodjashnij, O'Connor, Henry and Tuohy forming what is currently the best backline in the comp?

Answered your own question right there.

Answered your own question right there.
someone will need a rest or get an injury - he has to be ready to not only step in, but make it impossible to be relegated. Nice problem for the team to have, not so good for him.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
someone will need a rest or get an injury - he has to be ready to not only step in, but make it impossible to be relegated. Nice problem for the team to have, not so good for him.

You are right. To break in to the highest-ranked defensive team as a lockdown defender (when all those you are looking to displace provide more than you can, going the other way) is tremendously difficult.

I'm an admirer of Jedda, for what it's worth. But if the players in front of him remain fit and in any sort of form, he remains a depth and injury option only in my view.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back