Toast Sorry Adam

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s all been done before, I’m not going down that rabbit hole again.

For what it’s worth; this sort if thing...

“First of all, Aboriginal people have been here a lot longer than anybody else, so just remember whose lands you are on..”

There are approximately 120 pages of this discussion in the “Booing Adam Goodes” thread. The same self-serving arguments were trotted out then too, and confirmation bias reigned supreme.

Yeah, you're right. It's been argued before. And the same self-serving arguments were trotted out then too. And confirmation bias reigned supreme.

Looking forward to the documentary for the way it calls out racism.

Yeah, you're right. It's been argued before. And the same self-serving arguments were trotted out then too. And confirmation bias reigned supreme.

Looking forward to the documentary for the way it calls out racism.
Yes a new perspective on things will be a breath of fresh air.

ATTENTION MODS - APPLICATION TO EUTHANIZE THREAD

Mods - please put this Thread to sleep asap - reasons:

- boring circular arguments
- nothing being resolved
- abuse and name calling
- no new insights into complex issue
- peurile attacks by various posters
- standard of "debate"? that would not pass muster in any proper debating forum

PS - back to the main game - today is a danger game - be delighted to be proven wrong with a 10+ goal thumping of the insufferable Dees...

cheers all
Best post in this thread

ATTENTION MODS - APPLICATION TO EUTHANIZE THREAD

Mods - please put this Thread to sleep asap - reasons:

- boring circular arguments
- nothing being resolved
- abuse and name calling
- no new insights into complex issue
- peurile attacks by various posters
- standard of "debate"? that would not pass muster in any proper debating forum

PS - back to the main game - today is a danger game - be delighted to be proven wrong with a 10+ goal thumping of the insufferable Dees...

cheers all

If these are the criteria to euthanise a thread, not many threads would stay alive. Think of all the Tom Phillips discussion that would be tragically lost for all eternity.

It would be completely naive to state that the booing of Adam Goodes was ONLY racially motivated. I’ve personally never felt the need to join in on booing players on the field, as I respect the players enough, and know what it takes to get to the elite level. I’ve never quite understood the pack mentality of the crowd that is almost contagious at some games. I think some people just join in just to be part of the noise, part of the ‘fun’ if you can call it that. Which in this case you can’t. ‘Fun’ crowd noise I would recall “TOOOOOOVEY” during Alan Toovey’s career, and Ang Cristou’s “WOOF!!”

People boo for different reasons...
They think he was a tosser.
They didn’t like how he staged for free kicks.
They love to hate good players.
They hate the way he played games on the edge, dropping knees, sliding in feet first.
They didn’t like the war dance.
They are racist.
The are part of a pack mentality. As per the image below.

1560221800951.jpeg

Heard the director of the new film say on SEN that once you strip away all the "excuses" people had for booing Adam Goodes, you can see that their only real motivation was racism.

I haven't seen the film, I didn't boo him and I don't have particularly strong views on the Goodes issue, but that struck me as a helluva claim. That any motivation ANY person had for booing was just an excuse and the true motivation could only have been racism... I would never claim to know the minds of everyone in a huge group of people under any circumstances.

I'd like to see the film though, as it sounds interesting. I'd like to see exactly how he is able to reach such an extraordinary conclusion about all the individual minds of a diverse group.

Heard the director of the new film say on SEN that once you strip away all the "excuses" people had for booing Adam Goodes, you can see that their only real motivation was racism.

I haven't seen the film, I didn't boo him and I don't have particularly strong views on the Goodes issue, but that struck me as a helluva claim. That any motivation ANY person had for booing was just an excuse and the true motivation could only have been racism... I would never claim to know the minds of everyone in a huge group of people under any circumstances.

I'd like to see the film though, as it sounds interesting. I'd like to see exactly how he is able to reach such an extraordinary conclusion about all the individual minds of a diverse group.

History occurs in the past, but is written in the present to suit a particular world view.

That’s a truism if I ever heard one.

If you filter out the bits you don’t want to believe and only consider what you do want to believe.......

Then you can come up with any conclusion that suits you.

That’s a truism if I ever heard one.

If you filter out the bits you don’t want to believe and only consider what you do want to believe.......

Then you can come up with any conclusion that suits you.
If you filter out all the people without indigenous heritage who booed, and all the people who don’t identify as indigenous who booed, then only indigenous Australians booed Goodes. For shame...

I was listening to SEN this morning and Whateley was imploring the "racists" to watch the show and perhaps have a change of heart. Why anyone would think this doco is anything more than a piece of propaganda with an agenda is beyond me. The director has made it clear that he was not attempting to examine the complexity and nuance of the issue. He said anyone who booed Goodes was a racist. I will never watch it. It is so disingenuous to pretend Goodes didn't play a role in the mess he was involved in. For those who declare they know what motivated the thousands of people who chose to boo, I wonder if they could explain why those same people show nothing but respect and affection to Michael Long and Nicky Winmar, two indigenous players who also took a stand on racism. The tired argument that Goodes copped it because he dared to call out our ugly racism doesn't fly because those two players did the same and received a very different response.

I am also tired of ex -players who happily admit they used to say the most horribly racist things to indigenous players but have seen the light. I played suburban footy for years and I had a mouth on me but I never once racially abused any player because I instinctively knew it was a low act. Now Tony Shaw comes over all sanctimonious as he tells us where we should draw the line. He was an adult when he racially abused other men. Was he so stupid as to not understand the consequences? Gary Lyon confesses to doing the same. What a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was listening to SEN this morning and Whateley was imploring the "racists" to watch the show and perhaps have a change of heart.
Racists are known for flooding the box office for films which highlight their ignorance and bile. They’ll be sure to attend the Goodes documentary in record numbers, especially after being labelled as racists, which they also adore.

Racists are known for flooding the box office for films which highlight their ignorance and bile. They’ll be sure to attend the Goodes documentary in record numbers, especially after being labelled as racists, which they also adore.
When is it screening?

Free speech is dead. Anything that contradicts mainstream seems to be labelled as hate speech and the person is muzzled/shamed/disemployed.
I’m an atheist and personally believe Folau’s comments are rubbish but he ought to be free to say/post what he likes. Just as people should be free to watch or not, like or not, this Goodes documentary.

Free speech is dead. Anything that contradicts mainstream seems to be labelled as hate speech and the person is muzzled/shamed/disemployed.
I’m an atheist and personally believe Folau’s comments are rubbish but he ought to be free to say/post what he likes. Just as people should be free to watch or not, like or not, this Goodes documentary.
At what point in our entire history has a person been able to say anything they like?

Free speech isn't dead. Don't be silly. The great gift of free speech is the ability to push back on hateful speech

I work for quite a large company. I signed a workplace agreement in regards to social media and i would also lose my job if i made similar comments to Folau. Plus i don't feel the need to push any religious beliefs. Business are entitled to protect their brand

Free speech isn't dead. Don't be silly. The great gift of free speech is the ability to push back on hateful speech

I work for quite a large company. I signed a workplace agreement in regards to social media and i would also lose my job if i made similar comments to Folau. Plus i don't feel the need to push any religious beliefs. Business are entitled to protect their brand

I am fine with individuals having an opinion opposing mine, I’d be a hypocrite otherwise. What I think is wrong is spokesmen making apologies on behalf of swathes of people. To assume that everyone who booed Goodes did so from a POV of pure, unadulterated racism is too much.

When is it screening?
Dunno, when my spitoon fills up I guess. Or when I run out of moonshine.

Seriously though I would like to see it, but getting to a theatre is something I only get to do for kids’ flicks. A FTA station or streaming service would be ideal.

Yes, this is what I don't get. People say that Folau is entitled to his free speech but if I then say, I thought his comments (or others like him) are hurtful, discriminatory or whatever, I am then accused of restricting free speech. Where is my right of reply?

Seems a bit like double standards to me.

The gift of free speech is that it satisfies the law of large numbers. The more people who are permitted to speak their mind without being intimidated, the more we can be confident that everyone’s views are being considered and their needs are represented in policy. Listen to too few, or those having their views magnified in an echo chamber like social media, and you get a distorted sense of what people really value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back