Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that seems clear is we have a surplus of KPP.

Was this SOS strategy from the get go similar to GWS as they hold trade value?

Casboult as a defender is quite the revelation. What I want us to assess by the end of the year is what is the best mix. Does having Casboult as a lock down defender get the best out of Marchbank and Weitering (more so than Jones in Cas role).

Goddard seems a good backup.

Jones would have the most value on the trade table. Gun defender. However if the backline as a whole functions better/on par with Cas then maybe we pull the trigger.

Now just thinking out loud, and I don't advocate for the below, but our tall forwards are in interesting situation too.

I want to know if Kerr can bring his VFL form to the AFL.

Kerr himself holds little trade value. Charlie and Harry huge huge trade value.

Obviously Charlie and Harry are better players I don't see us trading either.

However if Harry and Charlie give 9 Output and Kerr can give a 7. Would SOS consider trading one to fill other needs. Could snag a gun mid and small forward with their value.

Harry/Charlie on their own= 9
Kerr in VFL = 0
Total output in this scenario= 9

Kerr in AFL = 7
Traded in gun mid/ small forward = 8
Total output in this scenario = 15

Obviously that's all a hypothetical and there are other factors to consider, but if the total output of the team were to improve would SOS pull the trigger?

I think Kerr in afl would be less than 7/10.

I see where you are going with it but I can’t see Kerr being more than fringe/backup key forward for any afl team

Weitering to Gowers.
Agree with your suggestion for the team this weekend but I also thought: how weird we are sending Weits who was our once in a generation number 1 pick to our ex Magoos rookie.

All picks - early and late - are talented but I reckon tenacity and resilience has a big role in seeing that talent develop. Weits and Gowers both have it. Don’t know why we lost Gowers cheap but we did well to identify that and draft him. It was great how SOS profiled SPS and saw that tenacity & resilience in him (moving away from home to boarding school, learning English, bull-riding tough nut...). SOS himself had those traits. We’re in good hands.

I think Kerr in afl would be less than 7/10.

I see where you are going with it but I can’t see Kerr being more than fringe/backup key forward for any afl team
Pure speculation atm showed a little bit last year when he played a few games but we won't know until he gets senior games .

What is clear is that we are totally reliant on Kruezar and what we have as back up is not good enough... The Adelaide kid Reilly O’Brien looks the goods and if he is forced out of the side when Jacobs comes in he will be disheartened, is out of contract in 2019 and would be a great long term option for us.

What is clear is that we are totally reliant on Kruezar and what we have as back up is not good enough... The Adelaide kid Reilly O’Brien looks the goods and if he is forced out of the side when Jacobs comes in he will be disheartened, is out of contract in 2019 and would be a great long term option for us.
Jacobs is 31. Adelaide would be silly to let him go tbh.

When the fit is that good I think you pay it.

Perfect for us in position, age profile and snarky match winner persona

I know everyone loves Dow but in hindsight Stepehson would have been EXACTLY what the doctor ordered. What’s his contract status? We should offer him 700k just to put the squeeze on Collingwood.
Unfortunately the kid won't be going nowhere, your spot on he's definitely one of the types we are crying out for
I'm a massive Dow fan, wouldn't swap him for anything he did a couple of things on the weekend that only high end players are capable of the glimpses are very exciting, wait for the his fitness base to climb then we'll see him starting to explode. His hands particularly his one grab marks are really impressive.

There is a few around. Goddard in the WAFL is young but looks good, 1 or 2 in the SANFL and there are names like Sean Darcy, Darcy Cameron, Max Lynch that all look like they just need an opportunity. I don't think we will have any issue getting 1 or even 2.

There is a few around. Goddard in the WAFL is young but looks good, 1 or 2 in the SANFL and there are names like Sean Darcy, Darcy Cameron, Max Lynch that all look like they just need an opportunity. I don't think we will have any issue getting 1 or even 2.

They better get on their bikes quick. Big guys usually take 3-4 years to find their feet. Not sure we have that sort of time left with Kreuzer.

Unfortunately the kid won't be going nowhere, your spot on he's definitely one of the types we are crying out for
I'm a massive Dow fan, wouldn't swap him for anything he did a couple of things on the weekend that only high end players are capable of the glimpses are very exciting, wait for the his fitness base to climb then we'll see him starting to explode. His hands particularly his one grab marks are really impressive.

Don't Collingwood have 17 players out of contract including Grundy

Surely something has to fall out

I'd be going aggressive at Stephenson, worst case they overpay to keep him abs loose someone else

I'd be going aggressive at Stephenson, worst case they overpay to keep him abs loose someone else
They won't lose anyone they don't want too or can't afford too lose, my understanding is they have room to move in their salary cap and players who are on ok/good coin that will free more space up when they are decided on at the end of the year. ie Wells Goldsack Dunn Varcoe Reid Phillips Greenwood.

They won't lose anyone they don't want too or can't afford too lose, my understanding is they have room to move in their salary cap and players who are on ok/good coin that will free more space up when they are decided on at the end of the year. ie Wells Goldsack Dunn Varcoe Reid Phillips Greenwood.
According to FW the list is:
  1. Ben Crocker
  2. Ben Reid (UFA)
  3. Brayden Sier
  4. Daniel Wells
  5. Jack Madgen
  6. Jamie Elliott (RFA)
  7. John Noble
  8. Levi Greenwood
  9. Lynden Dunn
  10. Max Lynch
  11. Rupert Wills
  12. Sam Murray
  13. Taylor Adams
  14. Tim Broomhead
  15. Tom Phillips
  16. Travis Varcoe
  17. Tyson Goldsack (UFA)
Immediately I'm looking at Dunn, Wells, Goldsack & Reid as senior players who might be off the books next year, freeing up a decent chunk of TPP, as well as Murray although he's probably not on heaps. Then there's Greenwood, Broomhead, Varcoe who I'm not sure about. Would they might prioritise Adams, Phillips, & Elliott then Wills, Sier, and perhaps Lynch as Grundy's backup?

Phillips, Adams, Lynch, Sier and maybe Wills the ones of interest but I find it hard to believe they'd let them go at the end of the season. Plenty of older guys to jettison before then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On profile Goddard is the best prospect (would be lovely to be given a state league freebie and nab him pre draft) he didn't nominate for the mid season rookie draft.

Cameron a couple of years advanced, but can't crack a game at Sydney but would be a good back up if available at the right price.

Darcy looked good for a bit, losing plenty of bulk in his first AFL season. Needs to lose more, although latest shots seem to have him larger again. If he doesn't have the necessary commitment to drop the kgs, is not worth the risk. Reports that Freo are in to Tim English suggests they are not happy with their numerous options as long term no. 1. A bloke like Lloyd Meek may be a decent break glass rookie if we wanted a cheap option. They also have Scott Jones in the wings.

Lynch a good option, but hard to see him let go as only genuine Grundy successor (Roughead probably in tandem would be option if Grundy went down)

May be stuck with one of Phillips or Lobbe for another year unless TDK can have a dominant second half to the season at Northern and a couple of impressive auditions in the ones.

This amateur talent watcher is tracking Henry Walsh and Crippa's baby brother as future ruck prospects. Henry next year, although an underager at this year's championships. Not totally sure, but think young Cripps is two years away. A slight glance to TDK's young brother, Sam, for this year's draft, although currently KPD and part time KPF and ruck. May not fall within our range, but I am sure we are tracking all of them.

According to FW the list is:
  1. Ben Crocker
  2. Ben Reid (UFA)
  3. Brayden Sier
  4. Daniel Wells
  5. Jack Madgen
  6. Jamie Elliott (RFA)
  7. John Noble
  8. Levi Greenwood
  9. Lynden Dunn
  10. Max Lynch
  11. Rupert Wills
  12. Sam Murray
  13. Taylor Adams
  14. Tim Broomhead
  15. Tom Phillips
  16. Travis Varcoe
  17. Tyson Goldsack (UFA)
Immediately I'm looking at Dunn, Wells, Goldsack & Reid as senior players who might be off the books next year, freeing up a decent chunk of TPP, as well as Murray although he's probably not on heaps. Then there's Greenwood, Broomhead, Varcoe who I'm not sure about. Would they might prioritise Adams, Phillips, & Elliott then Wills, Sier, and perhaps Lynch as Grundy's backup?

Phillips, Adams, Lynch, Sier and maybe Wills the ones of interest but I find it hard to believe they'd let them go at the end of the season. Plenty of older guys to jettison before then.
Lynch a sneaky chance with a good enough offer...

Wonder if Teague had anything to do with the decision? Bolton always backed him in, phenomenal talent but shame he could never get right for a full season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back