Rumour Hugh Greenwood waiting to re-sign!

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
I might have stumbled over what I meant

Stengle can do the freakish offensive things Cameron did. We have no interest in that.

Murphy can do the boring defensive things. We value that.

And it was Cameron's ability to do the freakish that meant we got good trade value for him.
We would've preferred to keep Cameron.

Interesting theory you've got there but it doesn't really stack up. We wanted to keep virtually all the players that left.

We didn't let them walk because we felt they were overvalued by the market. Often times it was other factors like surfing at Moggs creek, the Sydney lifestyle, the older girlfriend running low on eggs etc. They made it clear they wanted to leave and once a player makes that clear we invariably let them go like diseased vermin that could infect the herd.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
We would've preferred to keep Cameron.

Interesting theory you've got there but it doesn't really stack up. We wanted to keep virtually all the players that left.

We didn't let them walk because we felt they were overvalued by the market. Often times it was other factors like surfing at Moggs creek, the Sydney lifestyle, the older girlfriend running low on eggs etc. They made it clear they wanted to leave and once a player makes that clear we invariably let them go like diseased vermin that could infect the herd.

His point though is that they were overvalued by the market because of the "x-factor" moments.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
His point though is that they were overvalued by the market because of the "x-factor" moments.

He's making more than one point, one of which is that we chose to let them go rather than match market value because we didn't see the value the market saw:

They got offered pay rises. We chose to let them go.

We saw them as more valuable as trade chips rather than forcing them to see out their contracts or raising their contracts to what the market was offering.

But the reality is there were lifestyle/family circumstances at play in many cases (Dangerfield, Tippet, Cameron) and some (Lever, Davis, Bock, Gunston) weren't really "x factor" players at all, just quality players.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
He's making more than one point, one of which is that we chose to let them go rather than match market value because we didn't see the value the market saw:

But the reality is there were lifestyle/family circumstances at play in many cases (Dangerfield, Tippet, Cameron) and some (Lever, Davis, Bock, Gunston) weren't really "x factor" players at all, just quality players.
You're going back a decade in some cases here

This thinking (if it even exists) is relatively new

Most recently there were lifestyle reasons for Sloane, Lynch to go back home, as strong or stronger than any of the others

This season we're selecting what I would regard as a fairly boring team with a defence that lacks rebound and a forward line/midfield that has left some of the more exciting weapons in the shed.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Most recently there were lifestyle reasons for Sloane, Lynch to go back home, as strong or stronger than any of the others

Sure but neither wanted to leave. That's the clincher. Those that left wanted to leave.

We didn't say "Well Sloane and Lynch have less x factor than McGovern and Cameron so we'll hold onto them"

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sure but neither wanted to leave. That's the clincher. Those that left wanted to leave.

We didn't say "Well Sloane and Lynch have less x factor than McGovern and Cameron so we'll hold onto them"
We didn't pony up whatever it would have cost to keep Cameron/McGovern

Perhaps thinking that they'd have more value on the way out than they would from staying within

I'm sure that we're sold on the value of Sloane and Lynch

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No

Perhaps thinking that they'd have more value on the way out than they would from staying within

Haha. Nice theory just a bit shallow. You need a deeper, multivariate analysis not just "crows don't rate x factor".

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Haha. Nice theory just a bit shallow. You need a deeper, multivariate analysis not just "crows don't rate x factor".
?

I don't need anything

There was an interview in the last week about this which piqued my interest. Anyone can watch how things play out and observe the decisions we make

We brought in X-factor players in McAdam & Stengle last trade period as we knew we had to replace both CC & Betts going forward. The problem is they are underdone for this season as they would be handy!

Would like to see us debut Davis this week, assuming Lynch doesn't pull up as he has X-factor.

We were not going to recruit a power forward given we have Tex, JJ, Fog & EH... so we should have that area covered for now.

Do you think that the Club is going to trade JJ?

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
I might have stumbled over what I meant

Stengle can do the freakish offensive things Cameron did. We have no interest in that.

Murphy can do the boring defensive things. We value that.

And it was Cameron's ability to do the freakish that meant we got good trade value for him.

As you note, there's only one Charlie.

I'd challenge that we don't back in the freakish over the defensive. I reckon the only reason Atkins is getting a game is because of the fact that every 2nd week he'll do one thing that's magic. Similar Seeds, who's been down since he came back but can still bomb one through from miles out. And Murphy's ability to mik a free out of virtually no contact is it's own kind of freakish.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
?

I don't need anything

There was an interview in the last week about this which piqued my interest. Anyone can watch how things play out and observe the decisions we make
Well yeah you only need a more complex analysis if you want it to be taken seriously.

For example, there is something that jumps out from your data instantly i.e. the fact that the x factor players you're talking about went to clubs with terrible recent performance histories. So the data may not be representative of the entire population or 'marketplace', but rather representative of a limited subset.

Legz

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Still think some of the decision was due to him needing a rest before Richmond. Having a full squad allowed them to make the call.
Pyke said as much in the post match pressure.

They had omitted Mackay & Greenwood to have some fresh legs ready for the Richmond game, but that didn't go as anticipated with the late withdrawal of Lynch.

Thinking about it some more, I think a lot comes down to the fact we can no longer bank on the likes of Tex, Betts, Jenkins, Atkins and even Smith bringing their A game every week. If those guys were all still at their 2017 level, I think we'd be more willing to "carry" guys who might go missing. The aforementioned have become the icing instead of the cake. Instead we seem to be looking for guys who at worst won't disgrace themselves. This means we play the likes of Murphy, Knight and Douglas ahead of Stengle, Davis, etc.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Still think some of the decision was due to him needing a rest before Richmond. Having a full squad allowed them to make the call.
Pyke said as much in the post match pressure.

They had omitted Mackay & Greenwood to have some fresh legs ready for the Richmond game, but that didn't go as anticipated with the late withdrawal of Lynch.
Crikey, how hard is this to comprehend.

2 assistant coaches said he was unlucky with Matt returning and they had too many inside mids. They preferred Douglas up forward because they didn’t think he could play full time forward. He was dropped.

Pyke was referring to resting them from the SANFL game.

If you think he was rested against GWS for Richmond, which inside mid was being dropped for Richmond to give Greenwood a game?

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Crikey, how hard is this to comprehend.

2 assistant coaches said he was unlucky with Matt returning and they had too many inside mids. They preferred Douglas up forward because they didn’t think he could play full time forward. He was dropped.

Pyke was referring to resting them from the SANFL game.

If you think he was rested against GWS for Richmond, which inside mid was being dropped for Richmond to give Greenwood a game?

First sensible thing you have said

If Mackay and Greenwood were being rested for fresh legs did that mean

Richmond would see

Greenwood for CEY
Mackay for Seeds

But then again what do you do the following week against the cats

So so many untruths being told

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Richmond would see

Greenwood for CEY
Mackay for Seeds

First sensible thing? Now that's rich and funny coming from you.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just don't play crowd favs like some posters now do I

Gees you are full of s**t

Anyone can have an opinion its their perogative

All of us play favs and are critical if a select few

Bit like greenwood seeds dougy having bad games who gets dropped noone or all three or the one you dont like

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

As Kingy said, any chance you cant infect every thread?

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah Sure

Lets drop Mackay he is rubbish and soft has no idea on how to play footy

Is that better am I on the right sheep train now ????
So do you or don’t you play favs?

You’ve just been busted talking s**t.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So do you or don’t you play favs?

You’ve just been busted talking ****.

I don't care who plays as long as they are inform if they we want to win

Then there is development clause where say Mchenry can have a game although he didnt play well last week for development you can bring

I have favs but if they are playing crap over a long period I want them dropped, Tex is a fav but if he fails he fails

I dont care if Otten is playing well in the two's if he warrants selection I would pick him, he is far from a fav of mine though

Mackay is far from a fav but if he can have better output or Dougy has a higher ceiling and has form then they get picked I really dont care unlike yourself

Do you think that the Club is going to trade JJ?
Honestly don't know. May depend on the form of both JJ & EH over the rest of the season.

The player we probably should let go is Tex, because then we have JJ + Fog + EH, but 2 who can forward/ruck.

Problem trading JJ is who backs up in ruck if EH struggling & we play Fog?

Some tough decisions ahead...

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't care who plays as long as they are inform if they we want to win

Then there is development clause where say Mchenry can have a game although he didnt play well last week for development you can bring

I have favs but if they are playing crap over a long period I want them dropped, Tex is a fav but if he fails he fails

I dont care if Otten is playing well in the two's if he warrants selection I would pick him, he is far from a fav of mine though

Mackay is far from a fav but if he can have better output or Dougy has a higher ceiling and has form then they get picked I really dont care unlike yourself
So you have favs but you don’t have favs? 🤔

What about the second part of your sentence:

“and are critical of a select few”

Do you want to keep digging?

Richmond would see

Greenwood for CEY
Mackay for Seeds

Elite Crow - you should concede defeat now, because Marty thinks you are right! ;)

Back