Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's small and looks at first glance like a bunch of homosexuals. Suspect that's why Chief chose it. Then you zoom in and see that it's a Dusty chopsticks screenshot, after Martin was cleared of wrongdoing by a police investigation. A double whammy.

Foul play, Chief.
What's wrong with Homosexuals?

Is that all you have, i see you didn't even attempt to answer the question.
Yep, that's all I have!

And you were lucky to get that much.

You said "so everyone that booed was a racist then."

That's stupid.

All that matters is the fact that some of the booing was racially motivated.

That's enough of a disgrace, and only a racist penishead, or a complete idiot, would try to deny that.

I never claimed anything other than it's the way forward, and you threw up the past to deflect. Is racial distinction the answer?

Appreciate an answer to this question, since nobody has even tried despite my asking it many times. What is it that Aboriginals want?
The past is not in the past until its dealt with.

"Is racial distinction the answer?"

Why don't you ask the white Australians who choose to discriminate against Aboriginals?

They're the ones making the racial distinction, in the most obnoxious way possible.

Like I said, Goodesy's grandparents had their daughter taken away from them by the government for no other reason that they were Aboriginal.

How's that for special treatment?

That can not have failed to have an impact on Adam's life.

"What is it that Aboriginal people want?"

How about getting to know some, and asking them?

(I know what one Aboriginal person wants, that's for sure.)

Yep, that's all I have!

And you were lucky to get that much.

You said "so everyone that booed was a racist then."

That's stupid.

All that matters is the fact that some of the booing was racially motivated.

That's enough of a disgrace, and only a racist penishead, or a complete idiot, would try to deny that.
Oh don't worry i also think it's a disgrace, that's not the point of my quote.

Perpetual victim is an accurate description of Adam Goodes.

He got booed because he was unliked, not indigenous . Thought we'd all established that by now. Plenty of other indigenous players getting around to applaudes and cheers even from opposition fans. Goodes never did anything good for the game imo.
Not much joy in your response, and very divisive.

A very narky beetlejuice

The past is not in the past until its dealt with.

"Is racial distinction the answer?"

Why don't you ask the white Australians who choose to discriminate against Aboriginals?

They're the ones making the racial distinction, in the most obnoxious way possible.

Like I said, Goodesy's grandparents had their daughter taken away from them by the government for no other reason that they were Aboriginal.

How's that for special treatment?

That can not have failed to have an impact on Adam's life.

"What is it that Aboriginal people want?"

How about getting to know some, and asking them?

(I know what one Aboriginal person wants, that's for sure.)
Hold up, we’ve moved on to the Stolen Generation being a myth or for their own good. But no racism to see here.

It's small and looks at first glance like a bunch of homosexuals. Suspect that's why Chief chose it. Then you zoom in and see that it's a Dusty chopsticks screenshot, after Martin was cleared of wrongdoing by a police investigation. A double whammy.

Foul play, Chief.

A quick glance, it looks like a still shot from a WHAM music video.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodes was originally booed because he made a number of tribunal appearances in a short space of time and kept getting off, so he was perceived to be a protected species / umpires pet. It was happening a long time before he pointed out the girl in the crowd and was dancing in front of opposition supporters.

Why is Ablett mainly getting booed now? Because he is looked upon as a protected species after 3 trips to the tribunal in as many weeks and finally getting suspended on his third trip.

Goodes was mainly get booed by WCE fans in the early days of it, I guess because of his protected species status and The Swans and WCE being such fierce rivals at the time and opposition champions often get booed.

Once the media and AFL got hold of it and blew it up out of all proportion, that's when it really started to escalate to the point that it finally reached.

Anyone that has the time, go into the search forum thread at the top left of the page and type in Protected Species, and check the box, Thread Titles only. The search will present quite a number of threads dating back to about 2007 with Goodes prominent in a lot.

I have the same feeling reading this thread as I had the last few years at my footy club. A lot of people horrified to think they would be considered racist, and who fall over themselves looking for other reasons for why Goodes was treated the way he was.

My take is that there are two main motivations for booing Guides. One is that he stepped forward to challenge racism that no one can deny is a significant part of Australia's history, and which remains a problem today. Australia's most obvious flaw as a country, which is true of many countries, is its inability to accept criticism. So this first motivation has two subgroups. Those who are genuinely racist and those who refuse to accept Australia is or was racist.

The second motivation comes down to belligerence. There was a snowball effect where the more the booing was called out the more the contrarians wanted to boo to stick it to the man.

In the end the motivations are less important than the impact. One of the greatest players of the past 30 years was lost to the game, and still hasn't returned. I find that very hard to accept.

Your 2nd motivation is the one I've always thought it was. In the end I didn't like it because I thought it was racist, I didn't like it because I thought it was bullying on a mass scale.

Not much joy in your response, and very divisive.

A very narky beetlejuice

It's my humble opinion... I perceive Goodes as the Walled Aly of the AFL (take that as you will). I don't want or need to be preached to and while I appreciate the topics they both speak about it's the manner that they do it in an almost accusative form which I feel takes us a step back in progress. He's the type of figure that stirs emotion in people that isn't racial. Everybody has a player they love to hate. Matty LLoyd still cops more abuse in various threads than Goodes does. To think that stadia of people gathered weekly to vent their racism at him is laughable.

I suspect he might’ve been referring to incidences such as this.

View attachment 690540

Behavoiur like this is unacceptable and has nothing to do with racism.

That whole incident was a disgraceful stitch up using a selective screengrab. Look at the video in full. There is nothing in it. Another example of people falling over themselves to paint him as the villian.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fgiant.gfycat.com%2FKeyAromaticAntarcticfurseal.gif&hash=cd0f7d36ceda5c655d33cee60616e3dd

Attachments

• 1560236437895.png
    1560236437895.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 145
It's my humble opinion... I perceive Goodes as the Walled Aly of the AFL (take that as you will). I don't want or need to be preached to and while I appreciate the topics they both speak about it's the manner that they do it in an almost accusative form which I feel takes us a step back in progress. He's the type of figure that stirs emotion in people that isn't racial. Everybody has a player they love to hate. Matty LLoyd still cops more abuse in various threads than Goodes does. To think that stadia of people gathered weekly to vent their racism at him is laughable.
And yet Lloyd hardly got booed to level Goodes did.

The racist element was clearly there. I was sat near fellow Hawks supporters at one particular game who we could hear saying the most awful racist stuff the entire game to the point where someone nearby dobbed them in. Of course this is not representative of everyone, and the level I heard that day was almost certainly in the absolute minority.

However, I think the bigger point is that there are some portions of our society who will embrace anyone different as long as they conform and act in a particular way - Ie an Australian way. There's plenty around here saying, "if it was racist why didn't we boo xxxxx player?". But the problem stems when someone *different* speaks out, is outspoken, challenges the status quo, etc. Suddenly that person becomes "a massive flog". Waleed Ally is a great example. He has some strong opinions, but no more outspoken than heaps of white guys in the media, but because he's perceived as an outsider, he cops way more heat from certain members of the public than others. And I think that's where the racist element is. Many wouldn't realise that this is racist, that the bar they've internally set for this person's behaviour is way different to 'one of their own', as it's just so deeply indoctrinated in our society.

Your 2nd motivation is the one I've always thought it was. In the end I didn't like it because I thought it was racist, I didn't like it because I thought it was bullying on a mass scale.
The second motivation certainly existed but it required the first motivation to get the ball rolling. There was a smattering of boos from Hawks and Eagles fans, perhaps based on rivalries, perhaps based on certain incidents (perhaps based on Eagles fans’ DNA). But it’s rewriting history to say the booing didn’t blow up after the ape incident, then the spear incident, then the AOTY award, all indigenous related. Sure, after the AFL stepped in, it perhaps rose again as people sought to pile on for whatever shits and giggles. But is that really much better? Is it ok to join a white power march because you were headed in the same direction?

Goodes was originally booed because he made a number of tribunal appearances in a short space of time and kept getting off, so he was perceived to be a protected species / umpires pet. It was happening a long time before he pointed out the girl in the crowd and was dancing in front of opposition supporters.

Why is Ablett mainly getting booed now? Because he is looked upon as a protected species after 3 trips to the tribunal in as many weeks and finally getting suspended on his third trip.

Goodes was mainly get booed by WCE fans in the early days of it, I guess because of his protected species status and The Swans and WCE being such fierce rivals at the time and opposition champions often get booed.

Once the media and AFL got hold of it and blew it up out of all proportion, that's when it really started to escalate to the point that it finally reached.

Anyone that has the time, go into the search forum thread at the top left of the page and type in Protected Species, and check the box, Thread Titles only. The search will present quite a number of threads dating back to about 2007 with Goodes prominent in a lot.
Haha and yep, I spose that just tells me what a laughable culture we have in afl. That someone gets booed for being a ‘protected species” - something the player in question doesn’t even have a say in ( in the unlikely event the theory has any truth to it), or that someone gets booed for getting too many free kicks- geez really? Yet players who try to hurt other players never get booed? What about Mumford -hurts little guys all the time. Hodgey- used to elbow more people in the head in any given week than Ablett has in a whole career. Yet the bigger offender is being a protected species- wowee bizarro.

Last edited:
I suspect he might’ve been referring to incidences such as this.

View attachment 690540

Behavoiur like this is unacceptable and has nothing to do with racism.

Unbelievable. It's obviously in the days when Richmond were s**t and Goodsey is being the nice guy and applying the lube rather than just going in dry on them like Geelong used to do all the time.

Goodes wasn't getting booed with everybody posession at every away game before the incident with the girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back