Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure it's been answered somewhere in here but are Geelong interested in Sean Darcy and what value would you put on him? I'd say he's worth a late first - early second (15 - 20). Freo have Lobb, are apparently targeting Tim English and there is also Luke Jackson in the draft this year.

Id probably value him about where you do. The issues are Freo are thin for good rucks so i doubt they trade him and he will only come if we promise him the no1 ruck spot which would make Stanley request a trade so i doubt we risk it. Hes better than all our rucks long term but we'd probably rather stick with Stanley for 2 years while we are in a flag window. Possible but unlikely.

What have WC got that will be able to get Tim To them. Two first rounds?

They haven't really got anyone of high value wanting to leave. Brander maybe?

Freo have Liam Henry in the back pocket and two first rounds available to trade. Not that I can see us giving both, but our first this year will be higher than West Coast.

If we got Tim Kelly in this year for our first and this year's second (or next year's) and Liam Henry I'd laugh all the way to the bank

Your first this year and next years first with our second going back would be about the mark.

It’s less than the tremors and shiel trade and kelly is worth more than both

Everybody seems to assume that Kelly will be traded.
I'm not convinced he will be if the Cats aren't fully satisfied with the return.
Kelly has already demonstrated he is prepared to stay if he doesn't go to the club of his choice.

Geelong can just sit back and wait for West Coast to come up with the required price.
Otherwise Kelly stays, and I suspect the Cats would be most pleased with that outcome.

Well good luck dealing with Fremantle this trade period then :thumbsu:

I’m sure given their performance last trade period they will be absolute pushovers :)

I don't get it. Why wouldn't you trade two picks in the teens, probably late teens, for Tim Kelly? If you take those picks to the draft, historical averages suggest that one of them won't make it and the other one won't be anywhere near as good as Tim Kelly. If Geelong accept that deal, you keep a poker face until the paperwork is lodged and the moment it is, you crack a bottle of champagne and rejoice.

If he wants to stay then why would you trade him even if you could get two top 10 picks or whatever the silly "market value" of the day is?

The Treloar picks ended up being Sam Weidemann (9, 2015) and Griffin Logue (8, 2016). I reckon you'd take Treloar over those two.
Exactly you would take treloer over those two. This is why kelly is worth at least two top 10 draft picks. The picks could and often are duds. Kelly is going to be a brownlow medalist or close to it. You make a good argument why it should be 3 top 10 picks.

If he is open to a move home the sympathy stops if he says “but not Fremantle”.

Stephen wells said as much last year and showed no sympathy in getting a trade done on that basis.

Maybe Tim Kelly, who is obviously an avid follower of AFL and it's players, does not agree to be the ONLY player in the ENTIRE league to not be allowed to nominate a club when wanting to return to their home state?
Even in a ten team state homesick Victorian players still narrow their nomination down to one club.

Exactly you would take treloer over those two. This is why kelly is worth at least two top 10 draft picks. The picks could and often are duds. Kelly is going to be a brownlow medalist or close to it. You make a good argument why it should be 3 top 10 picks.
lol
With every week he plays seems he’s worth another top 10 pick.
Going to be some shocked delusional cats supporters round here when he goes for
A lot less than they hope

If he is open to a move home the sympathy stops if he says “but not Fremantle”.

Stephen wells said as much last year and showed no sympathy in getting a trade done on that basis.

Would much rather deal with you guys for your first rounder as a starting point.

Sympathy and goodwill goes both ways remember.

If Kelly again nominates the Eagles its do a deal or the Eagles trade down for a first lower than Freo's.

If Wells throws his toys out the cot and refuses to deal with Kelly's preferred club the goodwill is gone.

What gives the Cats any right to dictate who Kelly works for?

They will get back as min the pick they used to draft him two drafts ago PLUS a 1st rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just gonna completely ignore the first sentence of the two?

It starts off with the words "if he wants to stay". First prize all along has been re-signing him. You could get 3 top 5 picks for him and still end up unhappy. We got 3, 20, Kennedy for Judd because Carlton wouldn't give up pick 1 in 2007. Trent Cotchin is the only player in the top 5 you'd be happy with having lost Judd...

If he was a contracted player who had expressed no desire to leave then you could set any price you want. That's pretty much what GWS did with Shiel. Allowed him to explore his options a year ahead of FA and said that if they weren't satisfied they would keep him for 2019 and then reassess and the player was on board with this.

Everybody seems to assume that Kelly will be traded.
I'm not convinced he will be if the Cats aren't fully satisfied with the return.
Kelly has already demonstrated he is prepared to stay if he doesn't go to the club of his choice.

Geelong can just sit back and wait for West Coast to come up with the required price.
Otherwise Kelly stays, and I suspect the Cats would be most pleased with that outcome.

Depends on whether Geelong is his family's option of last resort over the draft or if they will choose the draft over Geelong. If its not the draft then yes we probably wont trade him unless we get a reasonable return.

Well said. No club should have the right to say who you can or can't play for.

That argument works both ways. If Kelly says he wants to get home for family reasons and then refuses to talk to one of the two clubs who can get him home then that erodes the goodwill.

Gold Coast got 10 and 26 for O'Meara.

And he was coming off extremely bad knee recos and uncertainty if he would ever be right to go or a high quality player again.

Omeara under extreme injury uncertainty- pick 10 + 26

Treloar- pick 5 + 7
Shiel- pick 8 + essendon first this year.

Yet your claiming kelly is worth pick 19+ 23

Lol

That argument works both ways. If Kelly says he wants to get home for family reasons and then refuses to talk to one of the two clubs who can get him home then that erodes the goodwill.

Why?

What does Kelly owe Geelong? Can someone explain what this 'debt' is Kelly seemingly owes Geelong?

Why should he settle for an employer of Geelongs choice rather than work for who he prefers?

For something close to half a 2nd round draft pick benefit Cats fans on here are adamant they have the right to decide who Kelly works for. Half a 2nd round pick........like really!

Look at the ARL. Players move out of contract and there is no compo. There's no draft either but a club develops a kid into a star, they move the club gets nothing other than salary cap relief. Zero. Zip. Nadda!

Mathews today saying Kelly is worth pick 1 plus another top 10 pick. Well that is just plain stupid as Judd didn't get that. Has any player ever been traded for pick 1 plus another top 10 pick? Nope! Why wouldn't the club with pick 1 just use that and keep the other pick? Or pick 1 in the PSD?

People do over value picks but plenty of others simply don't get that there is a ceiling to what a club once nominated needs to pay. In Kelly's case its the cost of getting a 1st round pick low enough to beat the other WA club in round 1. That is the ceiling.

And he was coming off extremely bad knee recos and uncertainty if he would ever be right to go or a high quality player again.

Omeara under extreme injury uncertainty- pick 10 + 26

Treloar- pick 5 + 7
Shiel- pick 8 + essendon first this year.

Yet your claiming kelly is worth pick 19+ 23

Lol

Trade him to the team that has pick 5 and pick 7 then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back