Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

When you get a guys like Setterfield butchering the ball you know there’s more at play than just talent.

I don’t have an issue with SOS’s drafting or his targeted trades, but I do think the mature bodies he tried to get in on the cheap for support have been a massive fail.

Having said that how many players let go by clubs or traded for nothing actually turn out to be best 22 for multiple years. Sometimes they can cobble together a season, but it’s not often they go on to become regular fixtures.

I understand that SOS didn’t want to waste precious draft picks on support acts, but with the benefit of hindsight I’m sure he could have uncovered some gems in the state leagues if they’d looked hard enough. I know it wasn’t really a thing before Kelly burst onto the scene but that’s probably the only area where I think he missed a big opportunity.

From our insiders at the time, SOS was going to pick Kelly with the TDK pick but got beaten to it.

The other players we know SOS chased for trades would have all really been great (and affordable) additions - Higgins, Devon Smith, Saad etc. they weren’t expensive like Josh Kelly but for reasons beyond SOS’ control they chose other clubs

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

the talent was there in most of them and we replaced them with more talented players.
What happened to their desire? A couple of them gave me the impression that they could just waltz in and get a game.
It is disappointing to lose Pickett after 17 games and many frustrating problems with injury etc. Hope he gets it together back in WA.

But he was steak knifes in the Marchbank deal so SOS actually did better on the Marchbank GWS trade (17 extra games) than expected. Not damning in my eyes on SOS as I think Pickett has super talent and was worth a try.

the talent was there in most of them and we replaced them with more talented players.
What happened to their desire? A couple of them gave me the impression that they could just waltz in and get a game.

The ones we got from GWS all had question marks on them, whether it was injury/desire or just being rubbish. Hence why we got them cheap.

I completely agree. Andrew Phillips, Billie Smedts, Sam Kerridge, Matt Shaw, Alex Silvagni, Aaron Mullett, Matt Kennedy, Lachie Plowman, Jed Lamb, Liam Sumner, Darcy Lang, Matt Lobbe and that isn’t even all of them.

How can you whiff on so many selections?

Please stop - you obviously have NFI. A fair chunk of the names you mentioned above were salary dumps, best value we could get without losing too much on trades, or outright stop gaps. Phillips & Plowman obviously showed something and are regularly in the 22. Considering the years we had under our last 2 list managers, SOS ought to be given a medal. Now we have largely gotten rid of the log jam, I see a very bright future with the talent we have on our list. It's the healthiest I've seen it in 10 years now.

Can we be very clear on the roles in play here.
SOS is the General Manager of List Management and Strategy (So yes he is the big boss who sets the direction the list is developed)
However he delegates to Agresta, who is the actual List Manager and to Brodie who is the actual Recruitment Manager.

Edit: would either of those gentlemen remain at the club if SOS was interferring in their work?

SOS is the General Manager of List Management and Strategy (So yes he is the big boss who sets the direction the list is developed)
However he delegates to Agresta, who is the actual List Manager and to Brodie who is the actual Recruitment Manager.

Edit: would either of those gentlemen remain at the club if SOS was interferring in their work?

Exactly. Really disappointed with the negativity shown towards SOS and non appreciative of the mammoth, excellent job he has completed so far. We should be praising him and not disrespecting him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. If there was any dissent it would be known and someone would be likely gone already.

Same thing happened when the team decided Cripps was a top target in 2013. Luke Williams reportedly "resigned for personal reasons" but the rumour doing the rounds was he disagreed with Rogers and McKay's targets and cracked the poos. How wrong he was.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...t/news-story/b66c62ae403e296e1bcc51ad82243e6c

He did bring him over from gws having known him and who he was. Big difference.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Pickett has had some serious injuries since he came to Carlton. Can hardly blame SOS for that

pickett was straight out of SOS's 'trade in an injured high draft pick' playbook. don't know that i can apportion blame to player or list manager, it's unfortunate all-round. the gws list and draft pick stockpile is such that there may be opportunities to repeat this type of trade (ie patton) but whether that will happen remains to be seen...

Interesting that people only highlight the failed players

One of the best recruiters/talent identifiers in Wells over a similar period between 2015-2017 and perhaps considered fails (Haven't traded in many players)

Traded In: Zac Smith, Black

Drafted: Gardner, Buzza, Hayball, Cornell, Parsons, Ruggles, House, Abbott, Jones, Simpson

From 2012 - 2014

Traded In: Clark, McIntosh, Caddy (Been good at the Tigers)
Drafted: Gregson, Gore, Cunico, Read, Delaney, Lucey, Lang, Jensen, Walker, Burbury, Toohey, Burke, Bates, Luxford, Thurlow, Hartman, Stringer

NO recruiter gets it right every time and they do have plenty of busts

Exactly. Really disappointed with the negativity shown towards SOS and non appreciative of the mammoth, excellent job he has completed so far. We should be praising him and not disrespecting him.

Dunno how people forget just how bad our list was before SOS came...i think they get influenced by the outside media criticism of him, even though they only look at things in a shallow way and want to create headlines.

Our 'young guns' we were pinning our future in were the likes of Boekhorst, Jaksch, Watson, Buckley and Menzel.
None of those guys have gone onto do anything at another club once we discarded them and a few in particular clearly lacked the necessary desire and professionalism.

To get our list to where it is now overall in the time he's been here is nothing short of amazing.

I see a lot of other lowly clubs just do the standard thing in the off season, and mostly just take their draft picks to the draft.
SOS got super creative and his hard work is the only reason McKay/Curnow/Cuningham are even on our list. 2 of the best young forwards in the entire league are in our forward line thanks to him.

We are now brimming with elite young talent in the key areas of all key positions and midfield.
The only area we are lacking is a small forward, and im sure his plan was always to solve that this year, as small forwards have proven to be able to have an immediate impact, and they can only do their thing with a stronger midfield anyway. Hence the focus on midfield first.

Personally from an outsiders viewpoint i find it baffling that Carlton has decided to go down the path of sacking bolton at this stage

What is to be gained by sacking a coach now ?
With such a young list ( by design) what was he expected to deliver ?
If Carlton had won 2 more games until now would he have been sacked ? What difference would that have made ?
If it was this time next year with 2-3 more mature players at the club and another year into the kids then i could understand

Just feels like the board caved tp media/public pressure

Week behind with the post.

Pickett has had some serious injuries since he came to Carlton. Can hardly blame SOS for that

So your saying that SOS didn’t know any of his injury history prior to drafting him at GWS, and didn’t know anything about his injury history at GWS at all, and didn’t know anything at all about his injury prone playing history at all.

Is that what you are seriously saying? :think:

So your saying that SOS didn’t know any of his injury history prior to drafting him at GWS, and didn’t know anything about his injury history at GWS at all, and didn’t know anything at all about his injury prone playing history at all.

Is that what you are seriously saying? :think:

Did Pickett have much of an injury history prior to his drafting to GWS? Picked up the lisfranc injury before playing a game at GWS.

SOS: 7/10 the others 50/50
the way I'm reading all the sniping - which is what it is ...SOS has to score 90% to be as good as some nuff nuffs running around on less than 50%..

very funny reading;)

but anyway happy to see SOS chopped and replaced by anyone with a better track record...would do it faster than you can say - SOS is a s**t recruiter.

Pickett out, another gws trade failure by silvagni. List gets bigger and bigger with gws trades

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The knob on your head get bigger and bigger ….. report it …. come at me.

You lambast his trades without thorough research. It ******* bores me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back