Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On profile Goddard is the best prospect (would be lovely to be given a state league freebie and nab him pre draft) he didn't nominate for the mid season rookie draft.

Cameron a couple of years advanced, but can't crack a game at Sydney but would be a good back up if available at the right price.

Darcy looked good for a bit, losing plenty of bulk in his first AFL season. Needs to lose more, although latest shots seem to have him larger again. If he doesn't have the necessary commitment to drop the kgs, is not worth the risk. Reports that Freo are in to Tim English suggests they are not happy with their numerous options as long term no. 1. A bloke like Lloyd Meek may be a decent break glass rookie if we wanted a cheap option. They also have Scott Jones in the wings.

Lynch a good option, but hard to see him let go as only genuine Grundy successor (Roughead probably in tandem would be option if Grundy went down)

May be stuck with one of Phillips or Lobbe for another year unless TDK can have a dominant second half to the season at Northern and a couple of impressive auditions in the ones.

This amateur talent watcher is tracking Henry Walsh and Crippa's baby brother as future ruck prospects. Henry next year, although an underager at this year's championships. Not totally sure, but think young Cripps is two years away. A slight glance to TDK's young brother, Sam, for this year's draft, although currently KPD and part time KPF and ruck. May not fall within our range, but I am sure we are tracking all of them.

Sam DK was the more talented one growing up too.

We will have DeLuca in the team next year who should slot in without much fuss. He will bring a lot to the side. His disposal efficiency is only mid 60's but he does a lot of work in close but can also work on the outside. That will be a huge bonus for Cripps.
Don't be fooled by the disposal efficiency number. Lots of contested footy is what he wins. His numbers are comparable to some of the top flight midfielders in the AFL (namely Taranto and Coniglio) albeit at a WAFL level.

Lynch a sneaky chance with a good enough offer...

Lynch is in an interesting position. If Brodie is fit, you’re definitely out. If Brodie is injured, you’re definitely in.

Given that Grundy is only 25, i can’t see Lynch waiting around for seven years hoping Grundy will get injured. We’d be a much more attractive proposition for him, as Kreuzer is often injured and probably only has 2-3 more seasons in him. Lynch would only have to beat TDK to the punch (assuming we ditch Philips and Lobbe) to replace MK.

I definitely liked what I saw of Lynch when he played against the NBs earlier in the season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lynch is in an interesting position. If Brodie is fit, you’re definitely out. If Brodie is injured, you’re definitely in.

Given that Grundy is only 25, i can’t see Lynch waiting around for seven years hoping Grundy will get injured. We’d be a much more attractive proposition for him, as Kreuzer is often injured and probably only has 2-3 more seasons in him. Lynch would only have to beat TDK to the punch (assuming we ditch Philips and Lobbe) to replace MK.

I definitely liked what I saw of Lynch when he played against the NBs earlier in the season.

There's a fair chance that one ruckman moving clubs could cause a chain reaction of other ruckman moving too.

Something like the following could happen:

Grundy to Adelaide
O'brien to Carlton
Kreuzer to Richmond
Darcy to Collingwood
English to Freo
Soldo to Bulldogs

:p

Doubt the interim coach is making list decisions after one game...
Not meaning that Teague said for him to go, was more meaning Bolts seemed to have a few blokes he particularly loved and now that he's gone perhaps some decisions will be made. Wish Pickett the best regardless, was looking awesome going into 2018, will always be a what could have been.

He's the only other genuine ruckman they have on their list so I'd think after putting 3 years of development into him they don't want to loose him particularly if Grundy goes down with any type of injury, a lot of eggs in the one basket.
The big yank and Roughead are the only two capable of playing a respectable roll in there if it came to that, as much as i admire Phillips having a red hot crack when he has got his chance, he and Lobbe aren't the answer to being more than competitive if Kruezer is out for any amount of time. I'd be replacing both of them for upgrades if we can intice and/or trade players that are in the right age and development brackets.

Hopefully those clinging to the Pickett dream can now see we really really need help in our small forward stocks!

Not to worry, we've still got LeBois, Polson, Deluca, Garlett, Murphy, Fasolo, Gibbons, Thomas, SPS, Fisher.

If we combine them into two players, we might have two competent small forwards.

Don't be fooled by the disposal efficiency number. Lots of contested footy is what he wins. His numbers are comparable to some of the top flight midfielders in the AFL (namely Taranto and Coniglio) albeit at a WAFL level.

No disputing that. I actually gave him a tick. He is also a proven big game player. He has racked up good numbers in 4 premierships and BOG honours in both a WAFL GF and a State game.
He's a great pick up for the CFC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely need small forwards but we need to chase the big name mids as priority. Get the supply issues fixed up then start trialing small forwards, a lot of the better teams during their rebuilds recruited the small forwards last more or less, they have mostly been the final pieces of the puzzle.

We need to keep trying to get small forwards but I think this priority needs to sit behind premium midfielders. Try and get small forwards with first round picks and through mature age midfielders who have skills and pace like Gibbons and DeLuca.

The small forwards are going to want to play in a forward line with good midfield supply, in the meantime we can keep bringing in guys like Gibbons and DeLuca and try develop them as small forwards and with some time, patience and a good midfield supplying them they might turn out alright. If not we can add them as the final pieces of the puzzle when we have a strong backline and midfield.

If we can't land the premium midfielders then by all means go for the small forwards.

I just think small forwards are only going to be value for us when we can win more footy and develop cleaner and quicker ball movement and we need to stock the midfield up with some top mature talent to do that. We should be aiming to have the best midfield by 2021, that should be our aim, that's what wins premierships.

A ruckman would be good. I think we will retain Phillips for another season and delist Lobbe. Plenty of faith that DeKoning will become quite a good ruckman. Kreuzer and Phillips should have a few decent years left in them and DeKoning a whole career ahead of him so a ruck would be low priority.

What needs to be priority is adding players with the qualities we lack. 25 possession plus strong tough midfielders with good disposal skills. Good smaller forwards with pace, skills and an ability to apply pressure and kick goals.

Of course they would, but we have cap space and opportunity to offer him.. Give the kid 4 years at $500.. Crows would prob give him 3 years at half that.. at least make the decision hard for him
Nope - much as I love Sammy and was spewing to see him go, I don't want him back now. We have Too many Rucks. I would like to keep Kreuz for as long as possible, but at the same time Phillips will be a very Good ruckman if he can get on the park, and it's time to start getting games into DeKoning. I have faith he'll be a gun with his athletic build and giant hands! Lobe just for Insurance.

Don't forget that that have the big Yankee as well, so if Grundy cops an injury, they'll just shuffle him into the ruck, and Reid up forward. Grundy's not going anywhere...when you look at the Woods players out of contract at the end of this year, there's a lot (including Wells) who won't be offered a contract, so they should have space in the cap.

I was at the NB's vs Woods game earlier this year, and Lynch was incredibly impressive....however, I've checked through their results since that game, and he hasn't been mentioned in the match summaries or best players.

So he may either be a one hit wonder, or SOS has told him to play dead the rest of the year with the commitment we'll pick him up at a bargain price. Very unlikely but I love a conspiracy theory :smiley:

Nope - much as I love Sammy and was spewing to see him go, I don't want him back now. We have Too many Rucks. I would like to keep Kreuz for as long as possible, but at the same time Phillips will be a very Good ruckman if he can get on the park, and it's time to start getting games into DeKoning. I have faith he'll be a gun with his athletic build and giant hands! Lobe just for Insurance.

I was talking about getting O’Brien from The crows, not Jacobs.

After Pickett quitting, being sacked or whatever people want to call it, im again questioning the timing/decisions being made at our club.

Just a few weeks ago we had the mid season draft, a fantastic opportunity to bring in 2nd tier players or overlooked youngsters and having 4 months of playing and training to view if they have what it takes to make it at the next level.

Why did the club wait until now to do this? A few weeks earlier and we give ourselves an opportunity to have a look at anyone else, if it didn't work out then they get cut at seasons end but at least we gave ourselves a shot. I don't believe that the club learnt anything they didn't already know about Jarrod in the last few weeks.

Seems quite amateurish to be honest.

Just to repeat something i posted in another thread.

Carlton carried a spare list spot over in to 2019 in preparation for the mid season draft, we had Doch go down with a long term LTI and we had Bugg retire. That is 3 list spots. Two were filled by Gibbons and Cottrel and the last by Deluca.

According to the mid season draft rules, Picket could have been placed on the long term injury list, allowing us to pick another player, not really sure why we didn't give this a go and with his retirement makes it an even stranger decision.

What is clear is that we are totally reliant on Kruezar and what we have as back up is not good enough... The Adelaide kid Reilly O’Brien looks the goods and if he is forced out of the side when Jacobs comes in he will be disheartened, is out of contract in 2019 and would be a great long term option for us.

Like this very much, time for us to play the Karma card, and give the cows some payback for pinching Jacobs.

If Adelaide don’t want to play ball, we can threaten to walk him to the PSD, as we didn’t trade that to them in the Stocker deal did we?

;)

After Pickett quitting, being sacked or whatever people want to call it, im again questioning the timing/decisions being made at our club.

Just a few weeks ago we had the mid season draft, a fantastic opportunity to bring in 2nd tier players or overlooked youngsters and having 4 months of playing and training to view if they have what it takes to make it at the next level.

Why did the club wait until now to do this? A few weeks earlier and we give ourselves an opportunity to have a look at anyone else, if it didn't work out then they get cut at seasons end but at least we gave ourselves a shot. I don't believe that the club learnt anything they didn't already know about Jarrod in the last few weeks.

Seems quite amateurish to be honest.

Just to repeat something i posted in another thread.

Carlton carried a spare list spot over in to 2019 in preparation for the mid season draft, we had Doch go down with a long term LTI and we had Bugg retire. That is 3 list spots. Two were filled by Gibbons and Cottrel and the last by Deluca.

According to the mid season draft rules, Picket could have been placed on the long term injury list, allowing us to pick another player, not really sure why we didn't give this a go and with his retirement makes it an even stranger decision.
Doch wasn't placed on an LTI list, Pickett was....which is why we only had the single pick in the mid season draft.
Regardless of his departure today, we received Deluca as a result of Pickett being placed on the list, so his subsequent departure then became irrelevant from a list management perspective.

A good pick. Cottrell can play.

Didn't realise he beat Ed in the pre-season time trial! Dam he can seriously run.

Given they were supplement picks, SOS seems to have done well to land Gibbons and Cottrell. I don't see the posters questioning SOS' drafting giving him any credit for that, Gibbons has played every game and looks good.

So we have Cottrell who beat Ed in the time trial and Gibbons who is in the top handful for km's covered in the AFL...along with Walsh.
I like that we've brought in 3 endurance beasts.

Didn't realise he beat Ed in the pre-season time trial! Dam he can seriously run.

Given they were supplement picks, SOS seems to have done well to land Gibbons and Cottrell. I don't see the posters questioning SOS' drafting giving him any credit for that, Gibbons has played every game and looks good.

So we have Cottrell who beat Ed in the time trial and Gibbons who is in the top handful for km's covered in the AFL...along with Walsh.
I like that we've brought in 3 endurance beasts.

Gibbons was fantastic last week. Really pleased with his progression, will benefit from a greater midfield role and seems to be scoring goals with more ease now. Definitely a bonus with his massive work rate too.

Likewise, Cottrell grabbing 11 marks in the VFL is a testament to his work ethic. Moves beautifully around the ground, has put on some nice size too since coming across. Nailed two set shots from 50 metres on the weekend with great technique, not something we have a lot of in the senior team.

His disposal numbers are trending up and I'm looking for him to get into the 20s shortly. Wouldn't mind him being given some midfield minutes too, but he's probably slated for a wing at this stage in the VFL. He's showing promise for an extremely late rookie pick.

Looks like we went out and looked for guys with elite running ability and nice skills. Good picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back