Universal Love McDonalds T & O - From the Penthouse to the Outhouse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently going at $87, 500 per goal for 2019.
Yeah look I don't fully blame him, but it just typifies where we are at.

The midfielders deserve a lot more blame. You look in the paper and see they had 30 disposals, but not one Melbourne mid was in the top 10 best on ground. Petracca and harmes were probably next, Oliver got a lot of nothing, brayshaw hasn't kicked a drop punt since his draft year. Jones may as well have run water yesterday.

At least weideman looked more dangerous yesterday. I still think he will end up with 30-35 goals but McDonald at the moment needs to lead away from him, or get up the ground more. Decoy, since he is doing nothing apparent on his own.

Why does Goody keep playing a guy who can't run or jump and is low on confidence and getting lower by the week? Its poor management imo.
Sometimes is good to go back to the magoos just to get some touch and confidence back, even if it is against lower opposition players still gain confidence back from a good game in the 2s

Does anyone else suspect that Tom McDonald is playing dead? Several factors potentially at play:
1. He’s seen two guys brought in on big coin over the last two years to play his old position of kpd, that he feels may have a cushier job of it than he had for all those years when we were s**t. So maybe he’s resentful of that.
2. His brother’s form and confidence is taking an obvious hammering, so perhaps he feels like his little bro is being mismanaged/ set up to fail. (Also the recruitment of Lever/ May could play into this).
3. I don’t know for sure, but he seemed to get along quite well with Hogan, so he could be pissed off with Hogan leaving and what we traded him for. Also maybe he doesn’t rate Weid and sees Hogan’s departure as negatively impacting his own on field role and leaving him overburdened. (There is also a link to May’s recruitment yet again)
4. He could be carrying an injury and while being pressured to play, he might be feeling he is being mismanaged or even that the club is jeopardising the longevity of his career.

I could see any of the above factors as possibly forcing him to question his future with the MFC. Potentially more than one or even a combination of all 4 are weighing on his mind. So given the way he is playing does anyone else think he might have a foot or two out the door?

Does anyone else suspect that Tom McDonald is playing dead? Several factors potentially at play:
1. He’s seen two guys brought in on big coin over the last two years to play his old position of kpd, that he feels may have a cushier job of it than he had for all those years when we were ****. So maybe he’s resentful of that.
2. His brother’s form and confidence is taking an obvious hammering, so perhaps he feels like his little bro is being mismanaged/ set up to fail. (Also the recruitment of Lever/ May could play into this).
3. I don’t know for sure, but he seemed to get along quite well with Hogan, so he could be pissed off with Hogan leaving and what we traded him for. Also maybe he doesn’t rate Weid and sees Hogan’s departure as negatively impacting his own on field role and leaving him overburdened. (There is also a link to May’s recruitment yet again)
4. He could be carrying an injury and while being pressured to play, he might be feeling he is being mismanaged or even that the club is jeopardising the longevity of his career.

I could see any of the above factors as possibly forcing him to question his future with the MFC. Potentially more than one or even a combination of all 4 are weighing on his mind. So given the way he is playing does anyone else think he might have a foot or two out the door?
That’s quite elaborate.

1. He’s seen two guys brought in on big coin over the last two years to play his old position of kpd, that he feels may have a cushier job of it than he had for all those years when we were ****. So maybe he’s resentful of that.

I highly doubt he'd be so petty as to jeopardise his professional career but If its any of the the first three options I'll gladly help him pack his bags.

That's some of the most bullshit I've read.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we are going to drop an in form defender for an out of form forward?
Frost at his best is still not very good.
TMac did a good job on Lynch.
The other option is to plonk Preuss in the goalsquare and allow TMac and Weid to roam up the ground.

Hey you don’t have to like it, just speculating on possible scenarios. So you just think our forward line is disfunctional and he might be carrying an injury, nothing more to it?
Couple of things I reckon; he is potentially carrying something (but I’ve got no idea to be certain). Our inside fifty entries this year have been horrible so that will always count against a forward trying to lead and mark. Ground ball is mopped up very quickly by fast and well placed opponents who keep it because we lack pressure.

The other thing is he is just horribly out of form. But I think he is genuinely trying to get into it.

Hey you don’t have to like it, just speculating on possible scenarios. So you just think our forward line is disfunctional and he might be carrying an injury, nothing more to it?

Yeah I do think that.

He wouldn't have played every game so far if he was not trying. That's literally the worst thing you can accuse someone of

The other option is to plonk Preuss in the goalsquare and allow TMac and Weid to roam up the ground.

What are you watching? Frost has been our best defender and Tmac was average at best back that's why he lasted 1 week.

I don’t like it. Frost deserves his place. I think you’re underrating him. Between round 5-8 (I believe) he was the no.1 ranked intercept marking defender. As a third defender he is actually quite damaging.

There’s nothing to suggest TMac going back will fix anything. Out of form is out of form. We picked him as a forward due to the acquisition of May. Play Preuss in the square? We don’t have the luxury of a Stephenson or DeGoey to supplement a Mason Cox type structural shift for Preuss.

Right now, Weidemann needs to remain the primary target with Tim Smith playing a bash crash contested CHF or FF role. McDonald just needs to be dropped mate.

It was frustrating we only got to see 5 minutes of Lever May and Frost. Frost will benefit the most of anyone in the side with these two cming back in, the beauty frost can actually play small as well. He would be an ideal match up for De Goey, Darling these 190cm power forwards.

In regards to Tmac, he loves to use his aerobic capacity to work his opponent up the ground and then use space out the back to turn his opponent inside out. His leading patterns would be a big U turn with a small kick towards then. Rarely do you seem him lead out of the goal square straight up to the kicker, even his pack marks he likes to work across the flight of the ball not directly at it. It is why he was so accurate because so many goals where inside 30, how many set shots inside 30 has he taken this year or joe the goose from the goal square - not many.

Maybe the changes to the defensive set ups have taken away his space, or lack of fitness just doesn't allow him to get up and down the ground like he did last year. We can all agree he has lost some zip and agility this year.

It was frustrating we only got to see 5 minutes of Lever May and Frost. Frost will benefit the most of anyone in the side with these two cming back in, the beauty frost can actually play small as well. He would be an ideal match up for De Goey, Darling these 190cm power forwards.

In regards to Tmac, he loves to use his aerobic capacity to work his opponent up the ground and then use space out the back to turn his opponent inside out. His leading patterns would be a big U turn with a small kick towards then. Rarely do you seem him lead out of the goal square straight up to the kicker, even his pack marks he likes to work across the flight of the ball not directly at it. It is why he was so accurate because so many goals where inside 30, how many set shots inside 30 has he taken this year or joe the goose from the goal square - not many.

Maybe the changes to the defensive set ups have taken away his space, or lack of fitness just doesn't allow him to get up and down the ground like he did last year. We can all agree he has lost some zip and agility this year.
Agree regarding TMac leading. On top of that delivery into the forward 50 as we all know has not been good. Now when I see Brayshaw on the left foot I hold my breath is one example. The other thing for me is that we are not crumbing the contests very well. Seems the opposition beats us more often than not crumbing the front of the marking contest which also doesnt help if we continue to just kick long to packs.

Last edited:
Agree regarding TMac leading. On top of that delivery into the forward 50 as we all know has not been good. Now when I see Brayshaw on the left foot I hold my breath is one example. The other thing for me is that we are not crumbing the contests very well. Seems the opposition beats us more often than not crumbing the front of the marking contest which also doesnt help if we continue to just kick long to packs.

We are ranked 15th for groundball wins inside 50 or in general play.....so yes we are crap at winning "front and squares"

We are ranked 15th for groundball wins inside 50 or in general play.....so yes we are crap at winning "front and squares"

David King was saying 16 of the 18 teams are minus in ground ball wins inside 50. Teams are defending it better than ever now yet it's essentially our game plan.

Only 2 teams are positive. GWS +2
Geelong +45
Controlled kicking and ball movement is in right now

Hey you don’t have to like it, just speculating on possible scenarios.

Now THAT's what I call weaseling out of an unpopular/weird post.

Maybe he secretly works as a real estate agent and is depressed about falling house prices?

David King was saying 16 of the 18 teams are minus in ground ball wins inside 50. Teams are defending it better than ever now yet it's essentially our game plan.

Only 2 teams are positive. GWS +2
Geelong +45
Controlled kicking and ball movement is in right now

Interesting so basically everyone Geelong aside is breaking even or worse. Did you see our differential?

Where are the ANTI Geelong, they would have to be statistically the most efficient FWD50 side of all time, to be plus 43 in ground balls inside 50 on the second best side is huge. Also they are ridiculously accurate.

Agreed on the controlled ball movement, this is where we are lacking and i think the change in focus (from other clubs) this year is something we missed the boat on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back